gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:05:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Johnny Cash documentary  (Read 6660 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2018, 01:11:04 PM »

It looks like Thom Zimmy will direct a new documentary about Johnny Cash, after he is finished with HBO's The Searcher about Elvis Presley.

Johnny Cash Doc in the Works From Frank Marshall, Imperative (Exclusive)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/johnny-cash-doc-works-frank-marshall-imperative-entertainment-1074466

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 01:13:31 PM »

Knowing nothing about Thom Zimmy, does this have the chance to be a really good documentary?

If so I’m excited as hell for this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »

Knowing nothing about Thom Zimmy, does this have the chance to be a really good documentary?

Neither do I. But I am hearing very good things about his Springsteen documentaries, so hopes are very high for the Presley movie to be released in April. I guess we just have to wait and see.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »

Neither do I. But I am hearing very good things about his Springsteen documentaries, so hopes are very high for the Presley movie to be released in April. I guess we just have to wait and see.

That’s great. Cash is one of my favorite artists - talk about an extensive music catalogue.

Rocker, did you ever hear his post-humous ‘Out Among The Stars’ album? Came out of nowhere, and it’s pretty good, imo.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »

That’s great. Cash is one of my favorite artists - talk about an extensive music catalogue.

Rocker, did you ever hear his post-humous ‘Out Among The Stars’ album? Came out of nowhere, and it’s pretty good, imo.

I only listened to a couple of samples online. And I saw the video to the new version of "She used to love me a lot" which I found incredibly stupid, as it's got nothing to do with the song. I also don't see why anyone would think that song needed a new instrumental track. But maybe I missed something.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 02:07:50 PM »

I only listened to a couple of samples online. And I saw the video to the new version of "She used to love me a lot" which I found incredibly stupid, as it's got nothing to do with the song. I also don't see why anyone would think that song needed a new instrumental track. But maybe I missed something.

Well I think the remade instrumental track was just a bonus cut on the actual album (not sure about the music video, sucks if they used the modern backing track for promotional purposes haha). I guess that it wasn't really an expected album it was nice to get some new Cash material that is pretty good quality.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 08:58:02 AM »

Yeah, certainly. I'm not too much of a fan of his 80s stuff though.

Anyway, a couple of days ago marked the 50th anniversary of the recording of Johnny's "Live at Folsom Prison" album.

Fans celebrate Johnny Cash's Folsom prison album after 50 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyCeBpbR9SE

Inside Folsom Prison 50 Years After Johnny Cash Made It Famous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yNDiZo1Sq8

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:19:24 PM »

It looks like Thom Zimmy will direct a new documentary about Johnny Cash, after he is finished with HBO's The Searcher about Elvis Presley.

Johnny Cash Doc in the Works From Frank Marshall, Imperative (Exclusive)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/johnny-cash-doc-works-frank-marshall-imperative-entertainment-1074466
Can I call him Tommy? Or should I just call him Zimmy?  LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 11:57:34 AM »

So, this is not about the documentary (I guess it will take a while until there are more news about that). But there's a new project that has musicians writing music to some of Johnny's unused lyrics. It's called "Forever words" (a book was already released). Something similar was done for a Hank Williams sr. project years ago.

Johnny Cash - Chapter 1: The Artists (John Carter Cash)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BApaI5oOhlo

Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash: Forever Words (Album Trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQoaQP8l-k4
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:59:30 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »

Nothing new about the movie, but I found this episode of "Autopsy" which seems to be quite recent

Autopsy The Last Hours Of - S7, Episode 17 - Johnny Cash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Pns5_tGlw

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 07:29:01 PM »

Nothing new about the movie, but I found this episode of "Autopsy" which seems to be quite recent

Man, those kinds of shows are hard for me to watch. What can i say? I'm an emotional sob.  Sad
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 02:45:36 AM »

Man, those kinds of shows are hard for me to watch. What can i say? I'm an emotional sob.  Sad

Not because of the bad acting?  Grin

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 12:46:21 PM »

I totally missed this  Shocked

The Gift: The Journey of Johnny Cash (Official Teaser)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j-mJZmThcI

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »

Film Review: ‘The Gift: The Journey of Johnny Cash’

Thom Zimny’s stripped-to-essentials portrait of the legendary performer impresses with its honesty and artistry.

https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/the-gift-the-journey-of-johnny-cash-review-1203194274/?fbclid=IwAR0WORk_MOd2D07ILKWhfnVWfCf252WKhDZ_sjvul3E3sBUNwAMFqPbIT68

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 01:31:43 AM »

Saw this on facebook:

“The Gift: The Journey of Johnny Cash”, with support from the Johnny Cash estate, will premiere on YouTube Tuesday, October 8. Taking the remarkable Folsom Prison recording as a central motif and featuring interviews with family and celebrated collaborators, the 90-minute documentary explores the artistic victories, the personal tragedies, the struggles with addiction, and the spiritual pursuits that colored Johnny Cash's life.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »

Just as he did for "The Searcher":

Mike McCready Talks Johnny Cash Doc Score, Pearl Jam Plans

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/pearl-jam-mike-mccready-interview-johnny-cash-doc-909877/?fbclid=IwAR2byxRJLxGIsxHybjj4m4dnTpCzhSQzkk3CoWwAZuNfgOzKwnbp1NAc4N4

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 07:55:46 PM »

Saw this on facebook:

“The Gift: The Journey of Johnny Cash”, with support from the Johnny Cash estate, will premiere on YouTube Tuesday, October 8. Taking the remarkable Folsom Prison recording as a central motif and featuring interviews with family and celebrated collaborators, the 90-minute documentary explores the artistic victories, the personal tragedies, the struggles with addiction, and the spiritual pursuits that colored Johnny Cash's life.

You may call me Tommy, you may call me Zimmy...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 09:52:45 AM »

Now on youtube for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cMVNtmbwyo
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:02:31 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx