gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:59:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian at Hawthorne HS recently  (Read 16861 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 07:46:16 AM »

A documentary wasin prep last year, filming took place at a few gigs. This could easily be part of it

A documentary?? 

A bonus feature on a full concert DVD?Huh 

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Mike’s documentary? Wasn’t it supposed to accompany his book?

I don't remember hearing about that.   I remember there was a trailer on The Beach Boys Facebook page a year or two ago that looked to be a documentary on the current touring band, but it turned out that it was fan made. 

So, maybe Mike's doc went the way of that phantom "History of The Beach Boys" doc that was teased back in the summer of 2012......or did that become the Doin It Again doc?
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 07:46:59 AM »

He's looking very well!!  He looked very tired during his last tour.  Maybe he needs to reduce the amount of shows he does?
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 07:49:38 AM »

I spotted camera crew last year....a friend on another board confirmed a documentary for US . Not heard anymore....but this would  be apt
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »

I don't remember hearing about that.   I remember there was a trailer on The Beach Boys Facebook page a year or two ago that looked to be a documentary on the current touring band, but it turned out that it was fan made. 

So, maybe Mike's doc went the way of that phantom "History of The Beach Boys" doc that was teased back in the summer of 2012......or did that become the Doin It Again doc?

Yeah, back in 2015 he had mentioned it in a couple interviews, here's one...

Interviewer: Do you plan on turning your new book into a film?

Mike: Well, I’m not doing it to make it into film. But being in India with Maharishi, meeting Marlon Brando, being friends with so many people in the music industry and some of the trials and tribulations, the ups and downs, it makes for quite a story. So I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it were to become a film. However, in the meantime I’m hoping to come up with a documentary that really shows my point of view. I think that that’s plenty to do in the next six months to a year.

But I also remember one where he was fairly certain about the documentary in terms of being a companion with his book.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 08:43:32 AM »

Mike: Well, I’m not doing it to make it into film. But being in India with Maharishi, meeting Marlon Brando, being friends with so many people in the music industry and some of the trials and tribulations, the ups and downs, it makes for quite a story. So I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it were to become a film. However, in the meantime I’m hoping to come up with a documentary that really shows my point of view. I think that that’s plenty to do in the next six months to a year.

But I also remember one where he was fairly certain about the documentary in terms of being a companion with his book.

I forgot about that.  I would actually check that documentary out, but I'm not holding my breath as these type of projects seem to have a way of fizzling out.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 08:55:13 AM »

I forgot about that.  I would actually check that documentary out, but I'm not holding my breath as these type of projects seem to have a way of fizzling out.

Yeah, talk of documentaries from both camps makes me wish PBS did a 3 part/6 hour unbiased series on the entire band - from it's genesis to TWGMTR. There's plenty of footage, audio, pictures. It would be an amazing story from start to finish.

If Brian is currently filming a documentary I'm both excited and saddened - I'm excited for there to be a documentary, but I had hoped that in his current down time he'd be in the studio cutting rock-n-roll tracks. Maybe he's doing both though.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »

Yeah, talk of documentaries from both camps makes me wish PBS did a 3 part/6 hour unbiased series on the entire band - from it's genesis to TWGMTR. There's plenty of footage, audio, pictures. It would be an amazing story from start to finish.

If Brian is currently filming a documentary I'm both excited and saddened - I'm excited for there to be a documentary, but I had hoped that in his current down time he'd be in the studio cutting rock-n-roll tracks. Maybe he's doing both though.

I'd love to see somebody from the outside take the reigns on a BB history doc.  Scorsese did a great doc on George Harrison a few years ago.   

I'm willing to wait on Brian's next album.  Artists around his age aren't exactly swift when it comes to releasing new material.   The guys from Pink Floyd are a great example. 
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »

Brian is getting a little press from this.

NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/17/578583184/be-true-to-your-school-58-years-later-brian-wilson-gets-an-a-in-music
Page Six: https://pagesix.com/2018/01/17/beach-boys-brian-wilson-finally-gets-an-a-in-music-class/
Consequence of Sound: https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/01/brian-wilsons-f-in-high-school-music-class-gets-changed-to-an-a
Noisey: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/paqwgy/brian-wilsons-high-school-reversed-his-music-grade-from-an-f-to-an-a
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:33:52 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »

“Extra credit for #PetSounds” Grin

@KDS, Scorsese also did a phenomenal doc on Bob Dylan many years ago. Would love to see a Beach Boys documentary in that style.

KDS
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 09:42:31 AM »

I never saw the Dylan one, although I'm not really a fan.   I loved his Harrison doc though.   

Maybe Zooey Daschanel can convince one of her director friends to put a documentary together.   (She's the first big time BB fan in Hollywood I could think of).
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 09:46:31 AM »

Maybe Tommy Wiseau or Ontor Pertwast? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bridencar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »

This was on ABC news this morning!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 12:54:31 PM »

Maybe Tommy Wiseau

Brian: “I did not get an F, it's not true! It's bullshit! I did not get an F! [throws report card]. I did not. Oh hi, Mike.”

This needs to happen.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »

Scorcese's Dylan documentary was superb, absolutely top notch. Cleared up a lot of misunderstandings about him and was an outstanding editing job, tech-wise. You think you knew about Dylan until you watched that.

I'd wager a lot of people who weren't fans came away at least wanting to learn and hear more, if not getting a full conversion, after seeing that doc.

The Harrison doc was superb too, but for me maybe not as many revelations or "wow!" moments in terms of the history. But a definite must-see, and piggyback it with the Concert For George to hear his music presented in a totally new, respectful light.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »

What's Mike going to try to do to upstage this?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 12:30:16 AM »

Go back to kindergarten and get a new juice box

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 01:02:58 AM »

I wish that too. I've always felt the Beach Boys deserved a documentary along the lines of the Beatles Anthology.  2012 would've been the perfect time. Another missed opportunity

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 01:04:54 AM »

Maybe Tommy Wiseau

Brian: “I did not get an F, it's not true! It's bullshit! I did not get an F! [throws report card]. I did not. Oh hi, Mike.”

This needs to happen.

LOL

Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 01:15:30 AM »

Claim that he wrote part of the song so he also gets an A
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 01:23:56 AM »

LOL that one was better than mine,  although I find the idea of Mike going back to elementary Billy Madison style for the sole purpose of obtaining a juice box to be darkly hilarious. 

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 05:28:31 AM »

LOL this is great hahaha

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 05:33:07 AM »

LOL this is great hahaha
Mike will go back to Dorsey High School and get ALL his grades changed! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 05:38:23 AM »

Scorcese's Dylan documentary was superb, absolutely top notch. Cleared up a lot of misunderstandings about him and was an outstanding editing job, tech-wise. You think you knew about Dylan until you watched that.

I'd wager a lot of people who weren't fans came away at least wanting to learn and hear more, if not getting a full conversion, after seeing that doc.

The Harrison doc was superb too, but for me maybe not as many revelations or "wow!" moments in terms of the history. But a definite must-see, and piggyback it with the Concert For George to hear his music presented in a totally new, respectful light.

I watched it when I first became a fan and man it opened a lot of doors to his music for me, I went out and got the Live At Newport dvd after that, bought/read his Chronicles book - which is incredible. That movie helped me really understand his early music more, and as someone who once hated his music, it was a necessary movie to watch.

KDS
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 05:40:46 AM »

I saw on George's Facebook page that the Concert for George is getting a BluRay upgrade.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 06:31:14 AM »

It's impossible to say the Harrison doc is bad, that's for sure. It's a good film. But not great. I'd say if one watched it blindly, it would be hard to tell it's a *Scorsese* documentary. It smelled to me at the time like he kind of employed a team of researchers and interviews and whatnot to make most of the documentary. For such a long documentary, it got hung up on taking too much time to re-tell the Beatles story yet again. It glossed over a good amount of George's later career.

But for sheer access to footage and interview subjects, it still has some important stuff in it.

But even something like the Harrison doc, 3-4 hours long, would be great to have for the Beach Boys.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx