gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian at Hawthorne HS recently  (Read 16860 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2018, 05:34:42 AM »

On Brian's Instagram there's a photo of him at Hawthorne HS (walking away from the building), being filmed. Does anyone know the story behind this? I was hoping maybe they were making a documentary or something.
willmansell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:01:17 AM »

Hawthorne HS tweeted a picture of him, looks like they changed a grade on one of his papers from his time there. Perhaps just a friendly visit?

"Commerce and art man, that's a tough thing"
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 06:30:10 AM »

That's cute. I only saw the photo of him walking away before.

@HHSCougars
 9h9 hours ago
More
Guess who dropped by HHS to appeal that grade Fred Morgan gave to him? Dr. Landesfeind signed the grade change! @BrianWilsonLive now has an A on that assignment! @beachboyslegacy  #OnceACougarAlwaysACougar
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:31:02 AM by Amy B. » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 06:43:16 AM »

Thanks for posting this - what a day brightener!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »

So "Surfin" has now officially has been graded an A instead of an F by the school.  Smiley  Brian is actually looking pretty good in the photo.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 08:27:08 AM »

He's looking pretty good!  Smiley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:27:47 AM »

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »

Yeah he’s looking really good. This is a great story!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »

Glad to see him looking so well. I bet the rest from being off the road is doing him wonders.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 08:52:31 AM »

A documentary wasin prep last year, filming took place at a few gigs. This could easily be part of it
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »

Brian is an A Student! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »

A documentary wasin prep last year, filming took place at a few gigs. This could easily be part of it

I guess I’ve been living under a rock, I haven’t heard about a documentary. Or I forgot. Exciting news!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »

Rock and Roll album documentary? Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »

So "Surfin" has now officially has been graded an A instead of an F by the school.  Smiley  Brian is actually looking pretty good in the photo.

Y'know, I've often wondered about this...supposedly "Surfin'" wasn't written until Brian was in college...but it's been said his very first composition was "Surfer Girl"...so maybe THAT was the actual composition that earned him an "F" (and now an "A")?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »

It looks like the form that Brian is holding says, "Surfin' USA demonstrated..."

Regardless, I think it's cool that they did this!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 01:25:42 PM »

Y'know, I've often wondered about this...supposedly "Surfin'" wasn't written until Brian was in college...but it's been said his very first composition was "Surfer Girl"...so maybe THAT was the actual composition that earned him an "F" (and now an "A")?

I'm wondering the same thing.  It's a cool story, but the OCD part of me has trouble with the timeline.  Was Brian writing about surfing while still in high school?  Maybe it was a chord progression or "Boogie-Woogie"-type  instrumental that evolved into Surfin' or something similar?

Fred Morgan's quote was:"Brian wrote a composition for me and it turned out to be 'Surfin.' That composition got an F, but it made a million dollars."

I think the key words are "TURNED OUT TO BE..."

Brian always talks about Surfer Girl as the first song he ever wrote, at 19.  Brian's memory with regards to dates is impeccable, so that would be 1961, a full year after he graduated.

I'm guessing that based upon Brian's recollection and Fred Morgan's quote, that what he submitted in high school was a prototype of what became a surfing song later on, perhaps a partial musical phrase that wasn't a fully-formed song.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:54 PM »

That's what I'm thinking

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 01:45:33 PM »

BW looks like a badass walking out of the school!

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 02:35:37 PM »

BW looks like a badass walking out of the school!

It’s encouraging to see a picture of him walking by himself.  I remember when I saw him on the Pet Sounds tour, he looked to be really struggling.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »

I'm guessing that based upon Brian's recollection and Fred Morgan's quote, that what he submitted in high school was a prototype of what became a surfing song later on, perhaps a partial musical phrase that wasn't a fully-formed song.

Are you saying his F should have been changed to an incomplete?  LOL
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »

What the heck , Brian in 2018 looks healthier than Mike.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 11:59:24 PM »

He looks really good, happy and well rested.  I saw him live in early October, and that concert left me feeling more worried about him than anything else. 
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 12:13:48 AM »

It's a great song, but Mr Morgan asked him to write something in sonata form. This is a slippery slope.
KDS
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 05:41:52 AM »

A documentary?? 

A bonus feature on a full concert DVD?Huh 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 07:43:58 AM »

A documentary?? 

A bonus feature on a full concert DVD?Huh 

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Mike’s documentary? Wasn’t it supposed to accompany his book?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx