gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:04:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis on "Aren't You Glad"  (Read 8929 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:18:59 AM »

In a thread awhile back, there was some discussion about the lead vocals on "Aren't You Glad", and some folks were theorizing that Brian (slowed down) may have been the lead vocalist on the chorus.

This started me listening intently to the song (in all of the versions I can) and considering it may not be Carl after all.

After considering this for awhile, I've come to the conclusion that I'm hearing Mike on the verses, Brian on the pre-chorus ("I've got a heart ..."), and on the chorus:

Carl with the first and third lines ("Aren't you glad now darlin' there's me and you", "Aren't you glad now tell me you're so glad"), but Dennis on the second line of the chorus ("Aren't you glad each day there comes something new").

Additionally, I believe it's Dennis on the "Tell me tell me you know what I mean", followed by Brian on "when I say-hey" background vocals.

Before you dismiss this out of hand, listen closely (comparing to Dennis' style on something like "I'm Going Your Way").

What do you guys think?

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:44:42 AM »

Just listened a few times... and WOW...I think that is Dennis on the "tell me tell me you know what I mean" interjections during the chorus. The verse is definitely Mike and the pre-chorus and "when I say" are definitely Brian. As for the chorus, I believe all three lines are sung by the same person. Initially, I think I just assumed it was Carl, but I can hear it as Brian, particularly the "OH-O-O-OH" immediately preceding the third line. I'll have to listen closely many more times before I'm sure.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:45:28 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »

It is Brian in the tell me tell me part. I have messed around with the pitch, and it never sounds like anyone else

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »

Just listened a few times... and WOW...I think that is Dennis on the "tell me tell me you know what I mean" interjections during the chorus. The verse is definitely Mike and the pre-chorus and "when I say" are definitely Brian. As for the chorus, I believe all three lines are sung by the same person. Initially, I think I just assumed it was Carl, but I can hear it as Brian, particularly the "OH-O-O-OH" immediately preceding the third line. I'll have to listen closely many more times before I'm sure.

If you listen closely to the second line in the chorus, the voice is a little raspier than the first and third.

WAIT WAIT WAIT --

I just compared the 2017 stereo mix to the original mono -- the first line in the chorus is *a different take*:

Orig. mono, the first "arent" is pretty straight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2CLfm02EaU

... on the stereo mix, the singer goes down a little on the first "aren't": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2CLfm02EaU

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:05:51 AM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »

It is Brian in the tell me tell me part. I have messed around with the pitch, and it never sounds like anyone else

I disagree. I honestly think the mono mix is the one that he comes through the loudest. I'm not 100% sure it's Dennis on the main lead in the middle, but the "tell me tell me" I am.

Also, if you listen closely the person who comes in with "... when I say-hey" (which is CLEARLY Brian) sounds like he's coming in before the "Tell me tell me you know what I mean" fully ends.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:03:23 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »

I think you're right, Donny, and I think additional evidence that supports it can be heard on various live versions of the song available to us.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there just aren't very many instances of bands whose members trade off the lead vocal as much as the BBs...and it seems to be something that Brian became very interested in embedding into his songs, making it more intricate as time went on. Is there any other band that approaches this level of "lead singer musical chairs" (for lack of a better term)?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 02:10:14 PM »

I disagree. I honestly think the mono mix is the one that he comes through the loudest. I'm not 100% sure it's Dennis on the main lead in the middle, but the "tell me tell me" I am.

Also, if you listen closely the person who comes in with "... when I say-hey" (which is CLEARLY Brian) sounds like he's coming in before the "Tell me tell me you know what I mean" fully ends.

Holy sh*t you're right...I never realized it was two different people as it sounds so seamless

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 05:41:52 PM »

Wouldn't it be more likely to be Alan than Dennis?
zachrwolfe
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:55:52 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:16:55 PM by zatch » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 08:34:06 PM »

Just my opinion, but I just listened closely to the relevant parts of the mono and stereo mixes over and over again, and I would devour every single hat I own if it isn’t Brian on every line of the two chorus lead vocals. Brian has a very distinctive “bite” to his voice that shows up everywhere. It’s harder to recognize when his voice is slowed down like the main lead vocal is (“Aren’t you glad...”), but I have never once heard Carl or anyone else reproduce a sound like that, varispeeded or not. I hear you, DonnyL, on the overlap between “tell me tell me you know what I mean” vs what follows (and I’ve never heard it before despite covering the song, thanks for pointing it out!), but neither of those parts sound like Dennis, or Al, or Carl or anyone but Brian to me. I’m 113% convinced it’s a third overdub by Brian.

I hear what you mean *on the stereo mix* ...

Listen closely to the mono mix though. The takes are different in places.

I'm pretty confident the middle line in the chorus is Dennis on the mono. I'm still hearing Carl on the third line there.

Also on the original mono, the chorus is *one* recording, which was spliced on the end in full, so no need comparing the first chorus to the second (this seems to be the case in the stereo mix too).

Since Wild Honey was such a cut and splice job, recorded in bits, the multi may not have the same takes as the final.

Agree to disagree on "tell me tell me you know what I mean" Smiley ... again though, make sure you're using the original mono, that's my main reference (the backing vocals are somewhat buried on the stereo on this part)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:46:08 PM by DonnyL » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »

To me, it sounds like Carl singing the "lead" throughout the chorus, with Brian singing the "Tell me, tell me" supporting part, and CARL singing the "when I say hey!". Let me check with Mr. Boyd on his thoughts.
Hmmm...on second thought, MAYBE it IS Dennis singing the second lead line in the chorus...

Meantime, what are everyone's thoughts on this: to me, it sounds like the trumpet lines in the intro and pre-verses are from the Chamberlain, as opposed to the trumpets in the chorus, which are definitely real...

EDIT: in the stereo mix, it sounds like one guy singing that lead chorus line throughout...maybe Carl, maybe Dennis...as opposed to the mono mix, where I agree it sounds like Carl on the first and third line, and Dennis on the second...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:50:10 PM by c-man » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 10:12:40 PM »

To me, it sounds like Carl singing the "lead" throughout the chorus, with Brian singing the "Tell me, tell me" supporting part, and CARL singing the "when I say hey!". Let me check with Mr. Boyd on his thoughts.
Hmmm...on second thought, MAYBE it IS Dennis singing the second lead line in the chorus...

Meantime, what are everyone's thoughts on this: to me, it sounds like the trumpet lines in the intro and pre-verses are from the Chamberlain, as opposed to the trumpets in the chorus, which are definitely real...

EDIT: in the stereo mix, it sounds like one guy singing that lead chorus line throughout...maybe Carl, maybe Dennis...as opposed to the mono mix, where I agree it sounds like Carl on the first and third line, and Dennis on the second...

I'll have to listen again re: Chamberlin, but based on memory it's a real horn there ... I think the strings are Chamberlin throughout though.

What an unusual song, when you really dig into it ...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:14:50 PM by DonnyL » Logged

wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 04:44:11 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:12:01 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 07:00:58 AM »

I know what you mean, it's a bit of a mindfuck ...

Listen to Carl on "How She Boogalooed It" ... now listen to the third line in the chorus of "Aren't You Glad".

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 07:15:24 AM »

To my ears Dennis sings, "tell me, tell me, you know".

Brian finishes the line and sings, "what I mean".
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 08:03:08 AM »

Also would like to take a moment to note this may be The Beach Boys' greatest song ... even under this kind of scrutiny, every damn time I'm straight up ENJOYING the hell out of it, and can't help getting uplifted
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:03:55 AM by DonnyL » Logged

zachrwolfe
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:16:51 PM by zatch » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 09:28:21 AM »

Compare the tracks to the live version included in SUNSHINE TOMORROW, where it sure sounds to me that Dennis is definitely singing the "tell tell me you know what I mean" line. (It also sounds like Al is doing Brian's "I gotta heart that won't stop beatin' for you" line.)

With that in mind, and re-listening to all the available versions on my iTunes (four or five, IIRC!), it becomes harder to think that it's Dennis on the studio version, for the reasons zatch is referencing.

Of course we'd love to hear from Mr. Boyd about this point...!

I actually think that the live version on ST is at least as great as the studio track, even though the vocals aren't as polished. The horns are so smokin' that Mike gets caught up in the moment and says "you guys are soundin' real good over there"--a rare breaking of the "fourth wall" on stage that makes it clear he knew they'd all just done something extra special. Also it's about 25 seconds longer--and any added time that this song is in process is postively sacramental...

Beyond the hybrid brilliance of this track, which is probably the best BB "soul" track ever--BW assimilating and transcending Motown, with Mike at or near his career best during the verses--the entirety of WILD HONEY has (or always should have) made it clear that Brian was managing to hold up against the torments he'd endured earlier in the year and trying to help move the band into a new tomorrow. He managed to get back to a high point despite all that, and a good bit of the response to the album was positive and encouraging. It really seems that he hit the wall when FRIENDS tanked so badly, and that's when the pattern of retreat and reclusiveness really begins.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:11:10 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »

Yeah, the more I listen the more I think it's just Brian on the chorus (the 3 main lines and "tell me tell me..." and "when I say"). It definitely plays with your mind, though!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:00:21 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »

What's missing from all of our comparisons is a contemporary example of Dennis using his "soul" style.

The closest I can find is this (minus two years of smoke and booze), particularly pay attention to the first few lines and the "sliiiiiiide in" around 0:18-0:20:

https://youtu.be/plhEWLBX_V4

Compared to the isolated "Aren't You Glad" above ... I think Dennis is 1 and 2 there, and Carl is 3.

On the mono, I think it's Carl on 1 and 3, Dennis on 2.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:05:13 PM by DonnyL » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »

Heard back from A.B.:

"Well, I obviously can’t say for sure exactly who’s singing what on Aren’t You Glad, but I could believe that Dennis MIGHT be singing the tell me part. That thought had crossed my mind before. But I’m not sure. The next time I have the unreleased mixes handy I’ll give it a close listen and let you know what I think...

"Yes, we had to grab an 'aren’t' from later in the chorus to fill that bit since it’s not on the 8 track.  In Pro Tools, Mark flew in the word and edited it into the vocal track on the digital multi. As for how they handled that edit back in 1967, it’s hard to say since we don’t seem to have the actual first gen album mono master (like Smiley, the mono 'master' of the album was actually a second generation dub, presumably because the first generation tape, as per Smiley, would have been too fragile and splicey to use for production, and might not have had all of the fades in place). So we can’t say for sure that there’s an edit there on the tape at that point. One certainly never leapt out at me, listening to the mono all these years (unlike edits in Wouldn’t It Be Nice, Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains, and others)

"So yes, I’m betting Carl overdubbed the part when they did the mixdown. That would certainly explain why it sounds like a different take. That fix would have been wayyy easier in 1967 than trying to nail that edit on a 1/4’’ mono master with a razor blade.

"We had to fly in the little “doo doo” vocal part after the first chorus, as that wasn’t on the multi, either. Fortunately, it’s almost acapella in the mono mix, so that was easy to grab.

"The master tape of Aren’t You Glad was slowed down before they laid down the vocals. My guess is that may have been to get the song more into Mike’s comfort range for the verse leads? Just speculation on my part here."

So there - some questions answered, some still a mystery! Remember, those Wilson boys had a knack for sounding like each other...but I agree that it MIGHT be Dennis on the second chorus lead line of the Mono mix (perhaps added during the mixdown, like the above-mentioned parts that are not on the multi-track).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:19:05 PM by c-man » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 09:07:29 AM »

Heard back from A.B.:

"Well, I obviously can’t say for sure exactly who’s singing what on Aren’t You Glad, but I could believe that Dennis MIGHT be singing the tell me part. That thought had crossed my mind before. But I’m not sure. The next time I have the unreleased mixes handy I’ll give it a close listen and let you know what I think...

"Yes, we had to grab an 'aren’t' from later in the chorus to fill that bit since it’s not on the 8 track.  In Pro Tools, Mark flew in the word and edited it into the vocal track on the digital multi. As for how they handled that edit back in 1967, it’s hard to say since we don’t seem to have the actual first gen album mono master (like Smiley, the mono 'master' of the album was actually a second generation dub, presumably because the first generation tape, as per Smiley, would have been too fragile and splicey to use for production, and might not have had all of the fades in place). So we can’t say for sure that there’s an edit there on the tape at that point. One certainly never leapt out at me, listening to the mono all these years (unlike edits in Wouldn’t It Be Nice, Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains, and others)

"So yes, I’m betting Carl overdubbed the part when they did the mixdown. That would certainly explain why it sounds like a different take. That fix would have been wayyy easier in 1967 than trying to nail that edit on a 1/4’’ mono master with a razor blade.

"We had to fly in the little “doo doo” vocal part after the first chorus, as that wasn’t on the multi, either. Fortunately, it’s almost acapella in the mono mix, so that was easy to grab.

"The master tape of Aren’t You Glad was slowed down before they laid down the vocals. My guess is that may have been to get the song more into Mike’s comfort range for the verse leads? Just speculation on my part here."

So there - some questions answered, some still a mystery! Remember, those Wilson boys had a knack for sounding like each other...but I agree that it MIGHT be Dennis on the second chorus lead line of the Mono mix (perhaps added during the mixdown, like the above-mentioned parts that are not on the multi-track).

Interesting ...

So we have some additional info/facts, but still more questiosn that answers.

To summarize:

* Conventional wisdom says Carl sings the Lead on the chorus
* The multitrack has some missing vocals, therefore the mono mix may be different in places
* Some speed adjustment was done during tracking
* No one can agree on who the lead vocalist(s) are/is on the chorus, or the "tell me tell me" Smiley

Personally, I really don't know. If I listen with a particular singer in mind, I can hear it as Brian, Carl, or Dennis in places. I do think the final line is pretty clearly Carl though, and the "Tell me tell me" is Dennis then Brian. It's just those "me and you" and "something new" lines really sound like Dennis to me.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »

I thought it was some combination of Brian/Carl/Al (!) all these years, but after listening to the isolated vocals presented above, my vote is... Brian singing all the lines in the chorus, albeit at a different tape speed than the final version.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:10:53 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx