gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:54:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis on "Aren't You Glad"  (Read 8927 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »

Here's the isolated chorus vocal sped up a semitone, which is also the original speed of the backing track: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N0JOwv9MX6hBAn2s0WXcK4pyjsNzBSS6/view?usp=sharing

Guess that pretty much settles that it's Brian but he sang the part along with the original backing track speed and then that was also slowed down before the rest of the vocals were added

I hear what you mean --

A couple points though ...

The mono mix may not be the same take

That third line sounds like Carl sped up

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 01:45:22 PM »

Heard back from A.B.:

"Well, I obviously can’t say for sure exactly who’s singing what on Aren’t You Glad, but I could believe that Dennis MIGHT be singing the tell me part. That thought had crossed my mind before. But I’m not sure. The next time I have the unreleased mixes handy I’ll give it a close listen and let you know what I think...

"Yes, we had to grab an 'aren’t' from later in the chorus to fill that bit since it’s not on the 8 track.  In Pro Tools, Mark flew in the word and edited it into the vocal track on the digital multi. As for how they handled that edit back in 1967, it’s hard to say since we don’t seem to have the actual first gen album mono master (like Smiley, the mono 'master' of the album was actually a second generation dub, presumably because the first generation tape, as per Smiley, would have been too fragile and splicey to use for production, and might not have had all of the fades in place). So we can’t say for sure that there’s an edit there on the tape at that point. One certainly never leapt out at me, listening to the mono all these years (unlike edits in Wouldn’t It Be Nice, Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains, and others)

"So yes, I’m betting Carl overdubbed the part when they did the mixdown. That would certainly explain why it sounds like a different take. That fix would have been wayyy easier in 1967 than trying to nail that edit on a 1/4’’ mono master with a razor blade.

"We had to fly in the little “doo doo” vocal part after the first chorus, as that wasn’t on the multi, either. Fortunately, it’s almost acapella in the mono mix, so that was easy to grab.

"The master tape of Aren’t You Glad was slowed down before they laid down the vocals. My guess is that may have been to get the song more into Mike’s comfort range for the verse leads? Just speculation on my part here."

So there - some questions answered, some still a mystery! Remember, those Wilson boys had a knack for sounding like each other...but I agree that it MIGHT be Dennis on the second chorus lead line of the Mono mix (perhaps added during the mixdown, like the above-mentioned parts that are not on the multi-track).
So, am I to understand that the new stereo mix has been slightly digitally altered/ "fixed" in Pro Tools? That's interesting. Thanks for that info from Mr Boyd.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 01:50:12 PM »

Here's the isolated chorus vocal sped up a semitone, which is also the original speed of the backing track: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N0JOwv9MX6hBAn2s0WXcK4pyjsNzBSS6/view?usp=sharing

Guess that pretty much settles that it's Brian but he sang the part along with the original backing track speed and then that was also slowed down before the rest of the vocals were added

I hear what you mean --

DonnyL, do you think that 'Ah-o-o-oh' (I don't know how to type it!) immediately preceding the 3rd line of the chorus is Brian? Personally, regardless of speed, I can't hear that as anyone other than Brian.

Edit: Thanks for all the isolated audio, by the way! It's much appreciated  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:59:27 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »

This is so fascinating

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »

Oh my God.  Shocked I've gone my whole life thinking that the chorus was sung by Carl.  Thud

wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:10:46 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »

I wonder if Brian purposely manipulated his voice to sound like Carl's, knowing that he wouldn't be touring and singing the song in concert?

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 02:34:18 PM »

I hear what you mean --

DonnyL, do you think that 'Ah-o-o-oh' (I don't know how to type it!) immediately preceding the 3rd line of the chorus is Brian? Personally, regardless of speed, I can't hear that as anyone other than Brian.

Edit: Thanks for all the isolated audio, by the way! It's much appreciated  Smiley

That's the part that I'm really hearing as Carl!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:38:03 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 02:37:42 PM »

Heard back from A.B.:

"Well, I obviously can’t say for sure exactly who’s singing what on Aren’t You Glad, but I could believe that Dennis MIGHT be singing the tell me part. That thought had crossed my mind before. But I’m not sure. The next time I have the unreleased mixes handy I’ll give it a close listen and let you know what I think...

"Yes, we had to grab an 'aren’t' from later in the chorus to fill that bit since it’s not on the 8 track.  In Pro Tools, Mark flew in the word and edited it into the vocal track on the digital multi. As for how they handled that edit back in 1967, it’s hard to say since we don’t seem to have the actual first gen album mono master (like Smiley, the mono 'master' of the album was actually a second generation dub, presumably because the first generation tape, as per Smiley, would have been too fragile and splicey to use for production, and might not have had all of the fades in place). So we can’t say for sure that there’s an edit there on the tape at that point. One certainly never leapt out at me, listening to the mono all these years (unlike edits in Wouldn’t It Be Nice, Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains, and others)

"So yes, I’m betting Carl overdubbed the part when they did the mixdown. That would certainly explain why it sounds like a different take. That fix would have been wayyy easier in 1967 than trying to nail that edit on a 1/4’’ mono master with a razor blade.

"We had to fly in the little “doo doo” vocal part after the first chorus, as that wasn’t on the multi, either. Fortunately, it’s almost acapella in the mono mix, so that was easy to grab.

"The master tape of Aren’t You Glad was slowed down before they laid down the vocals. My guess is that may have been to get the song more into Mike’s comfort range for the verse leads? Just speculation on my part here."

So there - some questions answered, some still a mystery! Remember, those Wilson boys had a knack for sounding like each other...but I agree that it MIGHT be Dennis on the second chorus lead line of the Mono mix (perhaps added during the mixdown, like the above-mentioned parts that are not on the multi-track).
So, am I to understand that the new stereo mix has been slightly digitally altered/ "fixed" in Pro Tools? That's interesting. Thanks for that info from Mr Boyd.  Smiley

The first "aren't" in the chorus is a copy/paste job from the second "aren't", at least.

The rest of them *might* be the same ... but on the mono, the middle vocal sounds a little raspier than the first.

Also, makes no sense that they would sing "aren't" on just the final mix ... while stranger things have happened, more likely they dubbed down the chorus section, then overdubbed something and accidentally left it recording into that first "aren't"?  Not sure, I'd have to know how the multis are laid out.

Another possibility is that the first line in the chorus is a different take. Could be a different singer too.

At the end of the day -- to my ears -- the "something new" part on the mono sounds distinctly like Dennis (and the "tell me tell me"), and the third line of the chorus sounds like Carl. The rest ... really, I don't know!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:44:45 PM by DonnyL » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 06:37:07 PM »

I just listened again, through headphones, to the mono mix...and I'm now convinced that we had it right to begin with - Carl all the way on the chorus lead (all three lines). MAYBE it's Dennis on the "Tell me, tell me" background part, with Brian finishing the line. Approaching it with the notion that it may be Dennis singing the lead on the second chorus line leads to me thinking it could be Dennis on ALL of those chorus lead lines, AS WELL as on the "I-I got a heart" part, which we all know is Brian. And approaching it with the notion that it might be Carl on ALL those lead lines leads me to believe it MIGHT be Carl on all of them (including "I-I got a heart...").

In short: it's in the genes. Wilson DNA was such that those three bros could, and often did, sound uncannily alike (at least before B and D turned into human chimneys with their nicotine intake).
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 08:15:41 PM »

Ok...I just listened very quickly...don't know what mix it is but it's the default one on Spotify.

Carl on chorus lead except Dennis ("tell me, tell me") EXCEPT Carl might sing that one line the first time it is sung in the first chorus.

I'll check my 60's-era LP tomorrow and check in with what that sounds like.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 08:18:31 PM »

No offense but there is no way that's not Brian on the I got a Heart section.  My expertise may lie more on the 70's recordings but that's one area I can't be swayed from minus the invention of a time machine

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 08:35:53 PM »

No offense but there is no way that's not Brian on the I got a Heart section.  My expertise may lie more on the 70's recordings but that's one area I can't be swayed from minus the invention of a time machine

Oh yeah, I totally agree...I'm just sayin' if I listen thinking it's Dennis or Carl with their soulful late '60s voices, I could convince myself of that...but of course, I know better. Smiley
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 08:45:22 PM »

In short: it's in the genes. Wilson DNA was such that those three bros could, and often did, sound uncannily alike (at least before B and D turned into human chimneys with their nicotine intake).

Listening to the Party! album tonight and Brian sounds exactly like Dennis on the word "cry" at 1:38 of Devoted To You.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:49:59 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx