gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:48:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike & Bruce's setlists appeal to broad range of fans...casual to hardcore  (Read 20117 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2006, 03:19:54 PM »

Who are you guys listening to? The Beach Boys are still one of the most respected bands in the world as evidenced by their bookings and TV shows and tributes and album sales. We may have to deal with the fact that the band is knowledgably respected for something other than what we think they should be, I don't know, I'm just sayin' we may not be the be-all and end-all in the judgement of their legacy.  Shocked

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2006, 03:32:47 PM »

They are? By WHOM? Their TV shows? Their tributes and album sales...please...not true. Sorry, but no. Not true. They sell the same old songs to the same old people who have been buying this version or that for 30 or 40 years. It isn't as if 16 year olds are banging down the door for new product.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »

Brian Wilson as a solo act is where all the college kids are at!  As someone in the younger demographic, kids who are into indie music know damn well who brian wilson is and what he means to pop music, kids with little to know knowledge of their history know Brian is the genius, and they know that SMiLE was brilliant.  Not one of them hears an ad for the beach boys on the country music station and thinks, wow, i should go see that innovative band of quality musicianship, they think, surf, car, beach,  thye hear brian wilson and they think: brilliance
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2006, 04:49:40 PM »

Brian Wilson as a solo act is where all the college kids are at!  As someone in the younger demographic, kids who are into indie music know damn well who brian wilson is and what he means to pop music, kids with little to know knowledge of their history know Brian is the genius, and they know that SMiLE was brilliant. 

I'm curious, jlaird, it's been two years since the release of BWPS, is the interest in Brian still there, among the younger demographic? I have a niece in college, and when BWPS came out, I almost fainted when she asked me to burn her a copy of BWPS (I made her a 66-67 SMiLE mix instead Razz). She hasn't mentioned Brian much since BWPS; I'm wondering if the interest faded or if it stuck.

Also, are the kids you referred to aware of Brian's other legacy, specifically the drugs and mental health issues. Is there any fascination with that stuff?
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2006, 04:58:43 PM »

If Brian were more active, I would definetely say there is an audience in college.  All of us in the dorms tend to use iTunes, which allows us to browse eachothers library, and a substantial amount, less than half, maybe a third, have pet sounds on their computer, most of the people with petsounds are aware of Brian to a fair degree, meaning, they know about SMiLE, I think many are intimidated about it seeing as it took the indiepop world by storm, there is such a history around it.  But if Brian were more active, the audience would be there in the college kids.  Most of the kids are aware to some point about his breakdowns, though most wouldn't know who Landy is, they may be familiar that someone did something with Brian's health.  I suppose the point of this rambling si taht college kids recognize Brian Wilson apart from the Beach Boys.  SMiLE, Pet Sounds, Today, and the Elephant 6 Recording Company are all tossed around within the indie hipsters community. 

I think there is always a fascination with the history behind Brian, but most of them seem to stick with the music, Pet Sounds is the definitive college album, pure and simple, that record was built for college.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2006, 05:18:34 PM »

SMiLE, Pet Sounds, Today, and the Elephant 6 Recording Company are all tossed around within the indie hipsters community. 

I think there is always a fascination with the history behind Brian, but most of them seem to stick with the music, Pet Sounds is the definitive college album, pure and simple, that record was built for college.

jlaird, you've just given me hope for humankind. Long live E6! (Oh, and BW/BB...)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2006, 05:25:47 PM »

I'm glad E6 is somewhat recognized on this forum Smiley
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2006, 12:32:13 AM »

What I've heard them play is "dumbed down" simpler versions. And Brian and his band play all of Pet Sounds w/o the Strings & Horns extremely well. Look at the Pet Sounds Live DVD. M&B don't have anybody in the band who can come close to the musicianship of Probyn Gregory, Scott Bennett, or Paul Mertens - let alone Darian... Performing a simplified GV and that mess that Mike passes off as H&V is a LONG way from playing Smile in its entirety.

How do we know that M & B band members don't come close in terms of musicianship? Just because they don't do it doesn't mean they CAN'T? Anyway, as I said in my post on page 3, both bands have different objectives and neither one is wrong for doing so.

And GV by Mike and Bruce is performed BETTER by them than Brian's band IMHO.

Wow, you are entitled to your opinion. Maybe you like the ML lyrics better and that's why. But heck, even Sir George Martin called out Brian's band for being able to perform GV the way it's supposed to be done.

It has nothing to do with Mike Love's lyrics why I like the PERFORMANCE better. I think it has more energy than Brians. Simple as.  Me and ol' George obviously have something in common as well.

The *MAJORITY* of fans who go to see Mike and Bruce's shows don't give a toss about musicianship and rarer material,

I wouldn't claim to know the percentages, but that's quite a statement. Maybe that's why some call the M&B show the traveling jukebox...

I don't percentages, I don't wanna know them. But I think it's quite a fair statement of the general public who go and see Mike shows. I went to see Mike and Bruce at Blackpool, and I had one person come up to me and ask which one was Carl and which was Brian. That says a lot about what the general public know about the Beach Boys! Maybe purists call it the travelling jukebox, but hey, they have two members of the original band, the lead singer on most of their records and main lyricist. Surely that counts for something???

Mike and Bruce's band has less musicians and less resources, and yet they play over 50 Beach Boys tunes over a two hour period to an excellent standard. They are good at what they do, as is Brian. So surely, their band must have to put in a lot of hard work and have exceptional musical ability to equally match the standard of Brian's 12 man band?

First off, Brian only has 10 in his band. Second, what's stopping M&B from increasing the size of their band if they want to tackle more difficult material and do it properly? Third, while I don't think the M&B band is talentless by any means, why do you suppose Brian's group is so widely acclaimed by critics and fellow musicians alike? Come on, be honest - if you were a performer who would you rather have behind you?

There's nothing to stop Mike and Bruce employing more members! But what would be the point? They're doing something different than Brian. They don't WANT to go out and perform Pet Sounds and Smile. But I'd be on the front row if they did!

Brian's and band are acclaimed for the obvious reasons. We ALL no that or we wouldn't be on the message board. I've never questioned their ability or reputation. But hey, if it was me, I'd rather have Brian's band behind me as I'm sure Mike and Bruce would?? As I said, Mike and Bruce are doing something different than Brian

Smiley

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2006, 01:16:21 AM »

Mike and Bruce's recent set lists are the best I've ever seen/heard by any major rock band.

Yeah, and I wonder what it was that might have caused them to raise their game slightly in recent years?

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2006, 02:36:46 AM »

Mike and Bruce's recent set lists are the best I've ever seen/heard by any major rock band.

Yeah, and I wonder what it was that might have caused them to raise their game slightly in recent years?

Their low-class, no-taste, ignorant audiences?

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2006, 03:10:03 AM »

No, I don't think so.  Being a great live act sometimes involves more than just 'giving the audience what they want'.  And 'giving the sudience what they want' will often define who your audience are.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2006, 03:23:32 AM »

No, I don't think so.  Being a great live act sometimes involves more than just 'giving the audience what they want'.  And 'giving the sudience what they want' will often define who your audience are.

Which could be no audience.

What do you think it is then?

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2006, 03:25:32 AM »

The touring Brian Wilson, of course.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2006, 03:37:52 AM »

Surprise, surprise.  I don't think the BBs are touring anything they hadn't toured years before there was a Brian tour so maybe it is the other way around.

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2006, 03:42:04 AM »

Surprise, surprise.  I don't think the BBs are touring anything they hadn't toured years before there was a Brian tour so maybe it is the other way around.

Well, I saw The Beach Boys in early 90s and it was 'the hits' (not incl. H&V) cheerleaders and sing-alonga summery medleys featuring Dancing in the Street and California Dreaming.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2006, 03:45:58 AM »

Well, I saw The Beach Boys in early 90s and it was 'the hits' (not incl. H&V) cheerleaders and sing-alonga summery medleys featuring Dancing in the Street and California Dreaming.

I've heard they played a few concerts even before that.

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2006, 03:49:32 AM »

I've heard they played a few concerts even before that.

I'm talking about the generality of BB concerts over the last couple of decades or so.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2006, 04:30:16 AM »

I'm talking about the generality of BB concerts over the last couple of decades or so.

I'm including those also.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2006, 04:35:50 AM »

Maybe purists call it the travelling jukebox, but hey, they have two members of the original band, the lead singer on most of their records and main lyricist. Surely that counts for something???

I really hate to do it but: In fact they got only one original member.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2006, 05:37:05 AM »

I'm including those also.

Yes, well there's always the exceptions that prove rules:

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/setlists.html

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2006, 05:44:04 AM »

Maybe purists call it the travelling jukebox, but hey, they have two members of the original band, the lead singer on most of their records and main lyricist. Surely that counts for something???

I really hate to do it but: In fact they got only one original member.

Ha Ha! Let's not go back to THAT discussion Rocker! For the sake of arguement, I was calling Bruce an original as in he has been there from the 1960's and rightly deserves to be called a Beach Boy.  Grin

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2006, 05:50:23 AM »

Yeah, that's why I said "I hate to do it", because I like Bruce too, but for some reason I can't look at him as an original in every way. I think his contributions are great at times and he was very important. I can't call Dave Marks an original either although he did contribute as well.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2006, 05:53:57 AM »

Personally speaking, I think it's fair enough to regard Bruce as a Beach Boy in the fullest sense.

Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2006, 06:48:28 AM »

Who are you guys listening to? The Beach Boys are still one of the most respected bands in the world as evidenced by their bookings and TV shows and tributes and album sales. We may have to deal with the fact that the band is knowledgably respected for something other than what we think they should be, I don't know, I'm just sayin' we may not be the be-all and end-all in the judgement of their legacy.  Shocked

Cam, don't let the number of bookings or album sales be your guide. Most of the Beach Boys CDs that sell well are old material that's been repackaged. And according to my quick count the Grass Roots will have played more 2006 dates by year end. And I'd bet almost as many people go to see Papa Doo Run Run as the M&B show. I'm not knocking either band by any means, but I believe the Beach Boys (meaning the M&B show)  "respect" is a reflection of their past, not a recognition of their present.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2006, 07:32:19 AM »

Personally speaking, I think it's fair enough to regard Bruce as a Beach Boy in the fullest sense.

I would like to, but I can't. Too many reasons imo.  Anyway it's just a personal thing for me.

Keep the discussion goin'...

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx