gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 07:29:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike & Bruce's setlists appeal to broad range of fans...casual to hardcore  (Read 20291 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2006, 01:07:13 AM »

A quote from Mike love from the following link:

http://www2.townonline.com/weymouth/artsLifestyle/view.bg?articleid=551357

"We do about a two-hour show that is designed to satisfy a lot of tastes. We try to appeal to everyone from our hardcore fans to first-timers. We play now to many multi-generational families. When I look out and see people enjoying our music along with their children it just thrills me."

I have to give Mike credit for the shows he's been doing lately, particularly since 2003.  He could easily be doing the same 30 songs every year, over and over, much like they did from pretty much 1995 to 2002.  But at almost every opportunity, the setlist is extended to include not only the basic stuff for the "meat & potatoes" crowd, but several rarities.  In 2004, many of the UK setlists exceeded 50 songs!  Even for several outdoor shows this year, the setlists have exceeded 40 songs.  Rarities this year include "Good To My Baby", "Don't Back Down", "Still Cruisin", "Good Timin", "Getcha Back", "It's OK", "Summer Means Fun", "Cool Head Warm Heart", and on at least one occasion, "Forever".

It occurred to me that since 1998, Mike & Bruce have performed at least one song from nearly EVERY studio album, with the sole exceptions being KTSA, Love You and Friends.  (The last time a song from KTSA was performed, to my knowledge, was back in 1996 when they did a one-off performance of "School Day".)

Of course, the early 60's albums are all represented.  But what is surprising is that nearly all the later albums are represented:

Smiley Smile: Good Vibrations, Heroes And Villains
Wild Honey: Darlin'
Friends: [None]
20-20: Do It Again, I Can Hear Music, Bluebirds Over The Mountain, Cotton Fields
Sunflower: Forever
Surf's Up: Til I Die, Disney Girls
CATP: All This Is That
Holland: Sail On Sailor
15 BO: Rock And Roll Music, It's OK, Everyone's In Love With You
Love You: [none]
MIU: Come Go With Me
LA: Good Timin'
KTSA: [none]
1985: Getcha Back
Made In USA: California Dreamin
Still Cruisin: Still Cruisin, Kokomo
SIP: Summer In Paradise
Songs From Here & Back: Cool Head Warm Heart

Even the selections from some of the early albums have been interesting:

Don't Back Down, Here Today, Graduation Day, Salt Lake City, Then I Kissed Her, Good To My Baby, When I Grow Up (To Be A Man), Hawaii, Kiss Me Baby, Please Let Me Wonder, Wendy, Ballad Of Ole' Betsy, Hushabye, The Little Girl I Once Knew, The Man With All The Toys, Merry Christmas Baby, Santa's Beard, Summertime Blues, The Warmth Of The Sun, You Still Believe In Me, White Christmas, Frosty The Snowman, Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring

I'd say that Mike is doing a pretty good job at keeping the setlist interesting enough for the hardcore fans to keep coming back to check out the shows year after year.  Back in 1998 after the group's split, I would never have guessed that Mike and Bruce would be performing such a wide variety of songs 8 years down the line...

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 01:11:43 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 01:16:42 AM »

Any thoughts?

The number of live shows Mike has done with the Beach Boys is probably closer to 10,000 then to 5,000... I can imagine he'd want to make some changes in the setlist every now and then...
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 01:18:08 AM »

And maybe the success of BWPS made him realize that it's not just the early songs that the public likes.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 01:25:57 AM »

Call me the devil's advocate, but I do really think that Mike puts in extra time to perform these songs 1) To cater to the hardcore fans, and 2) Because he really loves the music.  Like I said earlier, he could easily EASILY do a 90-minute show every night.  They did that during most of the 90's when the Beach Boys were still together!!  But he takes the time and makes the effort to include little gems here and there when he clearly doesn't have to.

Keep in mind that I say this as a big fan of Al's...I really do enjoy all three (or four) touring groups...while I may not personally agree with some of Mike's decisions, I do enjoy the concerts.

MBE
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 01:29:45 AM »

The sets are better then expected but I think Mike and Bruce are pushed a little to the side. It's a problem sometimes at Al and Brian's concerts too but not to the same level really. I wish more leads (at least non falsetto parts) were done by Mike and Bruce
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 02:44:32 AM »

I love Mike & Bruce' set. Before I went to see them in Blackpool 2004, a lot of fans on the Blueboard were saying "travelling jukebox", "not as good as Brian etc" which had me a little worried as was expecting a real "rinky-tinky", karaoke-esq performance. When I saw them, they were amazing! Those who had seen Mike & Bruce on the UK 2004 tour couldn't say they weren't blown away by the performances and set lists.

The thing with Brian is that when I've been to see him, I get what I want - rarer numbers, solo material, real instruments (real horn sections, strings etc) which is fantastic.

When you go to see Mike & Bruce, you get to see the tunes that Brian tends to stay clear of because of their simplistic / surf nature (Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down, Surfin' Safari), the very thing that MADE the Beach Boys. Fair enough they use synthesisers for string arrangements & horns, but who cares?  Shocked I certainly don't! But not only that, they've realised that they are gaining more credibility by playing rarer numbers too (All This Is That, 'Til I Die etc)

I would put Brian's band and Mike & Bruce's Beach Boys on equal pegging, neither one is better than the other for different reasons. I can't comment on Al's band, but I'm sure if they came to the UK and I went to see them I would be pleasantly surprised!

All in all, it's the MUSIC that matters. And it's great to see being performed by those who involved in the original recordings!  Grin
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:46:34 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 04:43:56 AM »

Ugh, the only time I saw Mike & Bruce live was in a bar at 8 in the morning (and people were drinking!) where they were recording for some radio show. They did California Girls three times, and nothing but 60s greatest hits.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:25:32 AM »

Well, even though I think it's good that Mike&Bruce change their setlist (though we don't know who of them submits the tunes, since I can't believe Mike suggests "Til I die") it's still a difference in what you are playing and HOW it is played. Bruce mentioned that they don't play "Heroes and viallains" because the audience didn't like it, which might be true but I don't think I would like it when I hear those guys play it. I mean everytime I heard them, they struggled even with "Surfer girl"....
I guess "Forever" will be done with John Stamos...?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »

I've seen Mike & Bruce each of the last two June's, once at an American Graffiti festival near my hometown and once at the county fair. Both times they sounded great and the crowd went crazy. They included numbers I didn't expect (Good Timin', All Summer Long, It's OK), Mike had some funny lines and they generally put forth a very positive show. The crowd contained EVERY age group, including at least one or two packs of young chicks screaming their heads off.

I for one am quite glad that Mike continues to go out there and Do It Again. And it's sure great to hear Sloop John B wafting through the air while walking the Midway in search of the perfect corndog...

CHRIS WALTER
Modesto, CA     
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 12:57:16 PM »

Call me the devil's advocate, but I do really think that Mike puts in extra time to perform these songs 1) To cater to the hardcore fans, and 2) Because he really loves the music.  Like I said earlier, he could easily EASILY do a 90-minute show every night.  They did that during most of the 90's when the Beach Boys were still together!!  But he takes the time and makes the effort to include little gems here and there when he clearly doesn't have to.

Excuse me, Eric, but Mike did practically the same hour or hour and fifteen minute hits only show since the very early 80's!   I, too, am very happy to see his new set lists these past couple of years.  However, it's probably going to be a long time before I forgive him for 20+ years of very boring same-old-same-old set lists.  (And why they've been doing "Duke Of Earl" for about 10 years straight now I'll never know!  If Mike feels he's got to perform some old Doo-Wop song, then why not do a different one every year?)

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 02:19:22 PM »

The setlists that are always posted from Mike's shows look great to me.  I saw them in 98 but wasn't a hardcore fan then, just a casual fan (I grew up listening to 60's music as a kid in the 80's).... Even though I wasn't a huge incredible beach boys fan, I had a blast and it was easily one of the best shows I've ever been to.  Now that I'm more familiar with the rest of their catalogue, I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much... I know their recent television apperances have been hit and miss but perhaps in a regular concert they've still got it.  When I saw them, though, they were still great.... the crowd was ALL ages and ate up every moment of it. 
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 02:58:18 PM »

20-20: Do It Again, I Can Hear Music, Bluebirds Over The Mountain, Cotton Fields

Any thoughts?
My question... who's singing the songs that Brian or Carl sang lead on?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 04:11:20 PM »

I'd say that Mike is doing a pretty good job at keeping the setlist interesting enough for the hardcore fans to keep coming back to check out the shows year after year.  Back in 1998 after the group's split, I would never have guessed that Mike and Bruce would be performing such a wide variety of songs 8 years down the line...

Any thoughts?

Excellent post(s), Eric. You make some very good points.

Just to backtrack a little....Whenever a past (pre-Carl's death) Beach Boys' set list is criticized for being too top heavy with oldies and not enough "serious" material, Mike is singled out, as if he ALONE formulated, dictated, and carried out the songs. I have to believe that Carl (especially), Al, Bruce, and sometimes Brian and Dennis had to have SOME input. And if they didn't, why didn't they? Didn't they talk about it? Didn't they care? Didn't they vote on it? Other than when Brian was calling the shots in the early/mid 1960's, I didn't think any group member was DICTATING to the guys. Did everyone, Carl included, simply defer to Mike Love? Did Mike have that much control that he could boss the other guys around, specifically choosing the songs that they would perform live?

As far as the recent past and present is concerned, I don't think enough credit/praise is given to Mike and Bruce for the outstanding set lists that they've been performing. It really can't get much better for the diversified audiences they are playing to. I know their songs are relatively short, but I can't think of another group that peforms as MANY great songs as Mike and Bruce.

I sometimes think Mike and Bruce have an ulterior motive with their diversified set lists - in a good way. It does eliminate one obstacle in the way of having Brian re-join The Beach Boys. Their set lists are beginning to look similar, and I don't think Brian is planning to perform SMiLE in the immediate future, so that shouldn't be an issue.
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 04:46:55 PM »

QUOTE: As far as the recent past and present is concerned, I don't think enough credit/praise is given to Mike and Bruce for the outstanding set lists that they've been performing. It really can't get much better for the diversified audiences they are playing to. I know their songs are relatively short, but I can't think of another group that peforms as MANY great songs as Mike and Bruce.

------

I completely agree. In June at the Fair their energy was fantastic and the crowd was going wild...Regardless of the fact that this isn't the original lineup, it was a very fun show and the people went home smilin'.

BTW: On 8/18 I'll be seeing Papa Doo Run Run (Many BB Alumni including Jeff Foskett) at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk as part of their Friday night free concert series. Last year was a blast. They play about 90% Beach Boys and do it very well. The other 10% is Jan & Dean and a couple of originals. Their sound was quite comparable to the Mike & Bruce band. I'll be riding the Hurricane while the Sounds of Summer rock the park.   

Sure is nice to live around here...
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 02:50:49 PM »

I would put Brian's band and Mike & Bruce's Beach Boys on equal pegging, neither one is better than the other for different reasons.

Can you picture the Mike & Bruce show playing Smile? Or all of Pet Sounds? Brian's band is far better IMHO. Not that the M&B band is all duds - I like Randell Kirsch, he does nice work on some of Jeff Foskett's solo stuff too.

It is nice to see M&B get more serious about representing all the BB music, no doubt Brian's pushing the envelope helped propel that along.

But I'd be curious to hear what criteria you use to say the bands are equal.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 03:13:10 PM »

The problem I have with Mike & Bruce's band isn't Mike or Bruce. It's the band themselves. Instrumentally AND vocally (but esp. instrumentally) they suck. Very amateurish. There's not  a single player I'd keep over anyone in Brian's band.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 03:17:08 PM »

Well, I kinda like Chris Farmer. But that's it....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 03:34:05 PM »

Im with billy, everytime I watch Mike and Bruce I just cant stand how sloppy their backing band is. People always say that Mike and Bruce sound like sh*t, but its like how can you possibly sound good over a shitty band? Put Bruce and Mike with Brian and his band and you'll see a ridiculous difference, imo.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 03:46:48 PM »

Any thoughts?
Randell Kirsch does the falsetto parts, and sings lead on "Good Vibrations" and "Don't Worry Baby". 

Chris Farmer does a lot of Al's vocals like "Cottonfields", "Then I Kissed Her", "Come Go With Me", and also does "Sail On Sailor" and "Good Timin".   Also, when Mike was unable to sing recently because of laryngitis, Chris sang all his leads while Mike lipsynced them.

John Cowsill does "Darlin", "I Can Hear Music", Carl's part on "Kokomo", and "Help Me Rhonda". 

Scott Totten doubles Randell's lead on "Why Do Fools Fall In Love".
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:49:37 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 05:51:27 PM »

I agree that nothing after 1968 was any one or two Beach Boys' "fault".

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 05:59:44 PM »

Any thoughts?
Randell Kirsch does the falsetto parts, and sings lead on "Good Vibrations" and "Don't Worry Baby". 

Chris Farmer does a lot of Al's vocals like "Cottonfields", "Then I Kissed Her", "Come Go With Me", and also does "Sail On Sailor" and "Good Timin".   Also, when Mike was unable to sing recently because of laryngitis, Chris sang all his leads while Mike lipsynced them.

John Cowsill does "Darlin", "I Can Hear Music", Carl's part on "Kokomo", and "Help Me Rhonda". 

Scott Totten doubles Randell's lead on "Why Do Fools Fall In Love".

I saw the 'M&B show' last year, and it was the first I've seen them since around '98 or so in Richmond, Va (at Kings Dominion). But anywho, I enjoyed Cowsill's vocal leads when I saw them last December, very strong voice (at least that night I was there). The others aren't that bad either. But out of all of the new members, Cowsill's leads were the best. I was pleasently surprised to hear "Darlin'", wasn't expecting that one. Wish they performed "Sail On Sailor" and "Cottonfields", though. Guess I have to catch those at a non-Christmas show,  Roll Eyes  Wink
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 06:00:59 PM by Old_Master_Painter » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »

- I'd take John Cowsill vocally over anybody in Brian's band, as much as I love them. No joke. The guy has a magnificent voice, full stop. And I've never found the Mike/Bruce band to be at all amateurish or lame -- they struck me as quite damn decent. All 3 of the touring groups, I think, have great bands. Brian's is the most technically proficient but everybody's playing the songs quite well.

Excuse me, Eric, but Mike did practically the same hour or hour and fifteen minute hits only show since the very early 80's

Oh, was Mike going out solo that entire time, Dan? Wow, that's twenty years of Mike solo flogging the hits. What a drag. Only -- wait -- for like ten, fifteen of those he was joined by THE ENTIRE REST OF THE BEACH BOYS who were apparently quite glad to play whatever set repulsed you, there. And that includes fan fave Carl Wilson for quite a number of those years.

Oh, but maybe Mike bullied them into playing the hits. Yeah, must be it.  LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 11:50:08 AM »

"Also, when Mike was unable to sing recently because of laryngitis, Chris sang all his leads while Mike lipsynced them."

...what a pro!

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 05:54:37 AM »

I would put Brian's band and Mike & Bruce's Beach Boys on equal pegging, neither one is better than the other for different reasons.

Can you picture the Mike & Bruce show playing Smile? Or all of Pet Sounds? Brian's band is far better IMHO. Not that the M&B band is all duds - I like Randell Kirsch, he does nice work on some of Jeff Foskett's solo stuff too.

It is nice to see M&B get more serious about representing all the BB music, no doubt Brian's pushing the envelope helped propel that along.

Not that they would, but Mike and Bruce have the capability to perform Pet Sounds and Smile to an excellent standard if they had Brian's resources (i.e. the Stockholm String & Horns). Why couldn't they? Even without strings and horns they performed at least 5 songs from Pet Sounds, and they've performed Heroes & Villains and Good Vibrations from Smile. And GV by Mike and Bruce is performed BETTER by them than Brian's band IMHO.

Let's face it, to see Brian it's roughly £50.00 and to see Mike & Bruce it's £20.00. That extra £30.00 in Brian's ticket price is paying for the luxery of string sections etc. The *MAJORITY* of fans who go to see Mike and Bruce's shows don't give a toss about musicianship and rarer material, hence the use of synthesisers. I think there is a huge difference in general in the fans who go to see Brian and those who see Mike and Bruce, except for the hardcore fans would go and see both.

Mike and Bruce's band has less musicians and less resources, and yet they play over 50 Beach Boys tunes over a two hour period to an excellent standard. They are good at what they do, as is Brian. So surely, their band must have to put in a lot of hard work and have exceptional musical ability to equally match the standard of Brian's 12 man band?

I'm glad Brian has pushed Mike & Bruce to doing some of the rarer Beach Boys numbers. I've no doubt either that this is response to Brian's acclaim in the press for his shows(?)

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 07:05:53 AM »

And GV by Mike and Bruce is performed BETTER by them than Brian's band IMHO.

In your opinion, but not in musical terms...

The *MAJORITY* of fans who go to see Mike and Bruce's shows don't give a toss about musicianship and rarer material, hence the use of synthesisers.

That's probably the secret of their success, that and the name.
People who are watching them are just there for the party. But this doesn't do the BBs-legacy any justice.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx