gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:48:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think did better in 1964?
The Beach Boys
The Beatles

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1964: The Beach Boys vs. The Beatles  (Read 14391 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 01:41:06 PM »

I'm a little surprised Billboard rated McCartney's Xmas song so highly.  It seems like I see it on a ton of "Worst Xmas Song" lists (I 100% disagree).  

There’s a radio station in my area that plays nonstop Christmas music during the holidays, I can confidently say that they played McCartney’s song far more times than they did ‘Little Saint Nick’ this year. Quite baffling to me that its as popular as it is. Is it the worst Christmas song? Not at all, but it’s certainly far less interesting, beautiful, and musically technical than ‘Little Saint Nick’.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2018, 01:43:17 PM »

I'm a little surprised Billboard rated McCartney's Xmas song so highly.  It seems like I see it on a ton of "Worst Xmas Song" lists (I 100% disagree).  

There’s a radio station in my area that plays nonstop Christmas music during the holidays, I can confidently say that they played McCartney’s song far more times than they did ‘Little Saint Nick’ this year. Quite baffling to me that its as popular as it is. Is it the worst Christmas song? Not at all, but it’s certainly far less interesting, beautiful, and musically technical than ‘Little Saint Nick’.

Same with the one in my region.  Seems like the BB Xmas stuff fell out of favor a bit on my local station.  It's not the age of the material as they play stuff much older.  But, I guess they needed to make room for some of those dreadful modern Christmas songs. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2018, 01:44:58 PM »

This is not a regional competition.  If you own The U.S. of A and Canada simultaneously...you win by the weight of shear numbers...fans and sales.  Sorry to the UK crew...but it wouldn't be long 'til THEY figured things out and elevated the BOYS to #1 in Great Britain too..

Lennon's Christmas song is great.  McCartney's is crud.  Brian's is still terrific and loads of folks have recorded it.  I prefer it to Lennon's.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »

Same with the one in my region.  Seems like the BB Xmas stuff fell out of favor a bit on my local station.  It's not the age of the material as they play stuff much older.  But, I guess they needed to make room for some of those dreadful modern Christmas songs. 

Haha yeah, I think it was hearing the Mariah Carey song for the 30th time that finally had me turn off that station for good well before Christmas Day.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »

Lennon's Christmas song is great.  McCartney's is crud.  Brian's is still terrific and loads of folks have recorded it.  I prefer it to Lennon's.

Between the two I’d find it hard to pick a favorite. Brian’s is happier and more in tune with the season, but Lennon’s is so emotionally good.

Not to veer this too far off topic, but I would love for Brian’s ‘On Christmas Day’ to get some radio play during the holidays.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »

This is not a regional competition.  If you own The U.S. of A and Canada simultaneously...you win by the weight of shear numbers...fans and sales.  Sorry to the UK crew...but it wouldn't be long 'til THEY figured things out and elevated the BOYS to #1 in Great Britain too..

Regions shouldn't matter (and if they did, the Beatles have sold more records and had more #1 records in the UK *and* the US than the BBs), but the 1963 perspective on the two bands in each region was very different *in* 1963 than it is now. Neither were likely listening to each other much if at all.

Also, while the BBs had a great sort of "second life" in the UK, they weren't hitting a ton of #1 records there either. I know Mike Love still reminds everyone of that one NME poll the BBs won, but the BBs were never knocking the Beatles off the album or singles charts in head-to-head competition. The Beatles had at least 27 unique #1 singles in the US and UK. The BBs had five.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »

Between the two I’d find it hard to pick a favorite. Brian’s is happier and more in tune with the season, but Lennon’s is so emotionally good.

Not to veer this too far off topic, but I would love for Brian’s ‘On Christmas Day’ to get some radio play during the holidays.

"On Christmas Day" I always found grating because it's a clear rip-off of "Bells of Christmas"/"Belles of Paris" (and those two songs aren't so great as it is). One instance where Mike Love (and Ron Altbach) probably *should* have been given a co-writing credit.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »

"Wonderful Christmastime" was essentially a tossed-off "McCartney II" outtake released early for the '79 XMas season. He never stuck it on an album and never formed an XMas album around it. It's an easy target. It's inane and annoying repetitive. I don't think McCartney ever thought it was high art. It was a novelty bit. His "PT Cruiser" as it were.

It has been on ASCAP's (or BMI's) top XMas songs list for many years now. A good hunk of XMas music is of the novelty nature. At least McCartney (barely) wrote an original number just as Lennon and the BBs did.

Want to fall asleep? Listen to Paul's "The Christmas Song", itself an outtake from the execrable "Kisses on the Bottom" album.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »

"Wonderful Christmastime" was essentially a tossed-off "McCartney II" outtake released early for the '79 XMas season. He never stuck it on an album and never formed an XMas album around it. It's an easy target. It's inane and annoying repetitive. I don't think McCartney ever thought it was high art. It was a novelty bit. His "PT Cruiser" as it were.

It has been on ASCAP's (or BMI's) top XMas songs list for many years now. A good hunk of XMas music is of the novelty nature. At least McCartney (barely) wrote an original number just as Lennon and the BBs did.

Want to fall asleep? Listen to Paul's "The Christmas Song", itself an outtake from the execrable "Kisses on the Bottom" album.

Yeah, it doesn’t bother me that he wrote and recorded it, it bothers me that its so overplayed every season. I wonder how Paul himself feels about it (outside of being happy he makes money from it).

And as for ‘On Christmas Day’, I personally really enjoy it - it does sound like a rip off of Bells of Christmas, but it improves it tenfold.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »

Not to jump ahead, but I'd say "London Town" betters "MIU Album" (and I like both albums), and I'll throw in Ringo's "Heart on my Sleeve" against any of the lot.

As far as '79 both McCartney's "Back to the Egg" and Harrison's self-titled album better "LA (Light Album)", which I also adore.

Hmm, "Heart On My Sleeve" is better than I remember. Last summer I was working on a 'Best Of' Ringo playlist and the only song I chose from Bad Boy was Tonight. I still prefer it, but if I ever finish working on that playlist I'll reconsider including "Heart On My Sleeve".

Every wave is new until it breaks.
KDS
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2018, 05:37:56 AM »

Haha yeah, I think it was hearing the Mariah Carey song for the 30th time that finally had me turn off that station for good well before Christmas Day.

As soon as I hear those first few notes of that Mariah Carey song, the radio goes CLICK.  Then, there's a soundalike song by Kelly Clarkson that's equally bad. 
KDS
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2018, 05:39:38 AM »

Lennon all the way for me.  No contest.  It doesn't feel like Christmas until I hear that song. 

It would be nice to see the Christmas stations mix in some of Brian's Christmas songs.  GF started a thread about that a few months ago.   But, such is life.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2018, 06:15:35 AM »

Oh man I think I heard that Clarkson version one day and immediately changed the station.

I don’t think I could pick a favorite between Xmas and St Nick. You’re right, doesn’t feel like Christmas until you’ve heard Lennon’s song, but I also feel that way about hearing Brian’s falsetto wail at the end of St Nick. But I’m glad they’re both given plenty of airtime around Christmas.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2018, 06:23:04 AM »

Oh man I think I heard that Clarkson version one day and immediately changed the station.

I don’t think I could pick a favorite between Xmas and St Nick. You’re right, doesn’t feel like Christmas until you’ve heard Lennon’s song, but I also feel that way about hearing Brian’s falsetto wail at the end of St Nick. But I’m glad they’re both given plenty of airtime around Christmas.

Same. Luckily my local station that plays Christmas music plays St. Nick and Christmas Day. The last few years they have even begum playing "On Christmas Day" and the WIRWFC version of Man With All The Toys.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2018, 06:32:13 AM »

Same. Luckily my local station that plays Christmas music plays St. Nick and Christmas Day. The last few years they have even begum playing "On Christmas Day" and the WIRWFC version of Man With All The Toys.

I hope the station here starts doing that! I find myself listening to the WIRWFC version of Man With All The Toys more than I listen to the vintage version...it just seems more complete, and I don’t know why.

KDS
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2018, 07:26:06 AM »

I hope the station here starts doing that! I find myself listening to the WIRWFC version of Man With All The Toys more than I listen to the vintage version...it just seems more complete, and I don’t know why.

The last two Christmases, I think I listened to Brian's album more.  It feels a little more cohesive, whereas the BB Xmas album feels like two mini albums. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2018, 08:02:09 AM »

The last two Christmases, I think I listened to Brian's album more.  It feels a little more cohesive, whereas the BB Xmas album feels like two mini albums. 

Same! Joy To The World is one of my favorites from that one.

KDS
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2018, 08:03:42 AM »

Same! Joy To The World is one of my favorites from that one.

My favorite of the covers is God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »

Yeah, I really like the fast/rockin tempo of it (and that great instrumental section in the middle of it)...totally different from all the other versions I’ve heard.

KDS
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2018, 08:17:39 AM »

Yeah, I really like the fast/rockin tempo of it (and that great instrumental section in the middle of it)...totally different from all the other versions I’ve heard.

Yep.  That great instrumental section is something I don't think you hear enough of in Brian's solo work IMO. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2018, 08:46:24 AM »

Yep.  That great instrumental section is something I don't think you hear enough of in Brian's solo work IMO. 

If this rock n roll album is actually happening, I wonder if we’ll be treated to more of those little instrumental interludes.

KDS
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »

If this rock n roll album is actually happening, I wonder if we’ll be treated to more of those little instrumental interludes.

I hope so, and I'd like it to have more of a live sound like on WIRWFC and TLOS.   Granted, I'm OK with Joe Thomas's work on Imagination, TWGMTR, and NPP, but I don't think his production style would really work if Brian's doing Chuck Berry numbers. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2018, 09:11:08 AM »

I hope so, and I'd like it to have more of a live sound like on WIRWFC and TLOS.   Granted, I'm OK with Joe Thomas's work on Imagination, TWGMTR, and NPP, but I don't think his production style would really work if Brian's doing Chuck Berry numbers. 

Yeah, I’d like the record to sound a bit like ‘Nothing But Love’ from Gershwin - only I wish Brian would do more of his background vocals, I love his backing band but I feel like he really needs to do some background parts in places.

KDS
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »

Yeah, I’d like the record to sound a bit like ‘Nothing But Love’ from Gershwin - only I wish Brian would do more of his background vocals, I love his backing band but I feel like he really needs to do some background parts in places.

Yeah, the Gershwin album has a great sound too.  Although, I have to respectfully disagree that I prefer Brian's band to do the background vox.  I guess that would / might include Al???  He's not officially listed as a member of Brian's band. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »

[well my]  HEART WENT BOOOOM!!!
[when I]   CROSSED THAT ROOM
[and I]     HELD HER HAND
..........................................eeeeeeeeeeeen
................IN Myyyyyyyyyyy^

Lyrics?   Embarrassed  Not so much.  Early on the  Fabulettes were lyrically challenged by the times and by their lack of experience at the song writers' table.  I mean that SHYTE was weaker than sin.  In 1963/64 I immediately found it easy to choose between "heart went/boom/crossed that room/held her hand in MY-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen" and

What good is the dawn
That grows into day
The sunset at night
Or living this way

For I have the warmth of the sun
(Warmth of the sun)
Within me at night
(Within me at night)

The love of my life
She left me one day
I cried when she said
"I don't feel the same way"

Still I have the warmth of the sun
(Warmth of the sun)
Within me tonight
(Within me tonight)

I'll dreams of her arms
And though they're not real
Just like she's still there
The way that I feel

My love's like the warmth of the sun
(Warmth of the sun)
It won't ever die
(It won't ever die)

In my haste to create waste...[and waist] I foolishly cast my vote for the Long Haired Lovers from Liverpool not only in this thread...but also in the accompanying poll.  Not sure I can rescind my poll vote...but I am doing so in DISYA thread.  [Currently the poll reads Beatles 15...Beach Boys 11.  IT SHOULD NOW READ 14 to 12.]  I also hereby officially change my vote to  B E A C H  B O Y S !!!  [boom!!!!!]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:32:23 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx