gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:42:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's band playing covers  (Read 6813 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »

I suppose so.  I'll give 'em a break on the early songs as Mike 'sang' so many of 'em to begin with.  BUT...O V E R A L L...I'm not budging.  So there ya have it...conservative ol' Lee goes with the band of WAY more accomplished musicians.  Versatility and talent gets the nod.  Both shows are good.  One, though, gets weighed down some by undesirable baggage and I HAVE to be mindful of it.  They might still be one unit today...carrying on in successful bliss...and greater success an even stronger sum of all the best parts...IF...greed, jealousy, nourishment and revenge hadn't ugly'd up what might have been on a stupid technicality.  But I digress.  I much prefer covers...especially of tunes the BB's covered on vinyl to 'turds' like Pieces Brother.

Anyway...the touring Beached Boys...do a mighty fine job...except for the shutting the f*** up during interviews part.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 12:25:47 PM »

I suppose so.  I'll give 'em a break on the early songs as Mike 'sang' so many of 'em to begin with.  BUT...O V E R A L L...I'm not budging.  So there ya have it...conservative ol' Lee goes with the band of WAY more accomplished musicians.  Versatility and talent gets the nod.  Both shows are good.  One, though, gets weighed down some by undesirable baggage and I HAVE to be mindful of it.  They might still be one unit today...carrying on in successful bliss...and greater success an even stronger sum of all the best parts...IF...greed, jealousy, nourishment and revenge hadn't ugly'd up what might have been on a stupid technicality.  But I digress.  I much prefer covers...especially of tunes the BB's covered on vinyl to 'turds' like Pieces Brother.

Anyway...the touring Beached Boys...do a mighty fine job...except for the shutting the f*** up during interviews part.

Fair enough.  Though, personally, I don't think the "baggage" you mention hampers the show in any way at a Mike and Bruce (and sometime David) concert.   But, I've heard worse excuses for not being able to fully enjoy one of their concerts. 

I will agree with you about Pisces Brother.   I'm not a fan of that song.   And, at the last show I attended, they still played it.....but All I Wanna Do was scratched!!!!!!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 12:27:52 PM »

I like Pisces Brothers. I like the harmonies and Scott's guitar solo. So I never mind hearing it live.
KDS
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »

I like Pisces Brothers. I like the harmonies and Scott's guitar solo. So I never mind hearing it live.

I do like Scott's solo, especially since most of the songs they perform don't really allow Scott to play like that.   I just don't think there's much of a song there. 
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 03:40:48 PM »

There are valid criticisms of Mike's touring band, but one-off or random covers isn't really near the top of the list.

I think the big one that deserved criticism was, in the first few years after licensing the name for his own tour, Mike kept doing "Duke of Earl." That was the one that made it look like he was heading down the path of true multi-purpose oldies show. I think especially once Totten got in the band, that got turned around and at least there was a movement towards some deeper BB cuts.

But these one-off covers aren't a big deal. The BBs did those now and then over the years. Most were either one-offs or added for maybe one tour and then gone. "Buzz Buzz Buzz" in 1984. They did "Come Softly to Me" a bit in 1981/82. They supposedly performed "Love Me Tender" as a tribute to Elvis.

Some were more heinous. Nobody was asking to hear Mike sing "Imagine", which folks on the 1983 tour had to suffer through.

I think when it's backing guys singing *and* it's a non-BB related cover, that does veer into "Duke of Earl" territory. I recall, in the mid-90s the band occasionally doing "Oh, Pretty Woman" with Chris Farmer singing. That seemed pretty useless and pointless.

Do you mean this:

https://youtu.be/Vz3LhcpMGQs?t=1224
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »

OK, now everybody squeeze your nose and sing along with myKe luHv on "Imagine" so we can all sound like he does. Now, wasn't that fun???

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 03:14:53 AM »

Eemagine that.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx