gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680774 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:30:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What’s the best Frank Sinatra album?  (Read 2209 times)
ericxplackis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2018, 10:48:07 AM »

Help me out.

Is there an album that most fans would consider his best?

Similar to how most B.B. fans agree Pet Sounds is the best (released) album?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:50:20 AM by ericxplackis » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »

I would personally say it’s his Strangers In The Night album. It’s the only one of his albums to go platinum (besides his Christmas album) and it won him two Grammy awards in 1967.

This is my favorite Sinatra album I own and one of these days I’ll probably end up wearing my record out.

I do not know if this opinion is shared by other Sinatra fans though.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 11:20:53 AM »

Sinatra albums are like Elvis albums, you almost have to go by his different eras and phases of his career to make such calls, especially since his sound and style changed depending on the decade.

A lot of fans would say "Songs For Swingin Lovers", with Nelson Riddle arranging on Capitol, is their favorite or even the best. I tend to agree.

Anything Sinatra did on Capitol in the 50's, the concept albums and whatnot, are solid choices if not essential. Whether with Nelson Riddle or Billy May (or other arrangers), these 50's Capitol albums have "that sound" which i think many associate with Sinatra when they think of him. "...Sings For Only The Lonely" from this era is a GREAT late-night, turntable album.

The Reprise years, in the 60's..."Live At The Sands" with Count Basie is essential listening, Quincy Jones doing the arrangements for the Basie band.

"Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim", some call it "Sinatra-Jobim", their first collaboration whatever it gets labeled - A simply beautiful album, Sinatra sings as pretty and as quiet as he ever sung, yet there are some really cool big band arrangements the likes of which artists like Beck and others would copy and pay tribute to years later.

I *love* the album where Riddle brought in a Hammond organ along with the big band, as rab2591 mentioned, "Strangers In The Night". The remake of "All Or Nothing At All" complete with a Riddle arrangers' chorus that simply explodes, complete with Hammond glisses and big band sonic blasts, is alone worth the price of admission. Then two Sinatra classics, Summer Wind and Strangers In The Night (which Frank didn't dig but which put him at the top of the charts, go figure...) are there too. Some fans don't care for the remakes on the rest of it, or the takes on modern hits, but anywhere a Hammond organ and Sinatra are on the same grooves of a record, I'm all in.

Some will cite "Watertown" as the great unheralded and underappreciated Sinatra album...It's OK, but not my cup o' tea. But according to some, it's essential. Worth checking out at least, I just never connected with it as I did the Capitol material from the 50's or the better Reprise releases from the mid-60's.

I'd say if you're starting out, buy the best of the Reprise years best of comp, a similar Capitol comp, Songs For Swingin Lovers, then the first Sinatra-Jobim disc. That's as decent an overview as I could offer as a suggestion.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »

September of My Years.... Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »

Most of his Capital output is essential including:

Songs for Swinging Lovers
In the wee small hours
Where are you?
Come fly with me
Only the lonely
Nice N Easy
No one Cares

and on reprise

September of my years
Sinatra and Strings
Jobim

And actually many more....
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 12:16:40 AM »

I think "In The Wee Small Hours", "Songs for Swingin' Lovers!" and "Strangers in the Night" are all essential albums.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx