gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:20:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can "Summer in Paradise" be salvaged?  (Read 29967 times)
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2018, 10:12:01 AM »

I don't think there's an out and out stinker on there really, but it just doesn't coalesce as a whole. Not a satisfying listen if you play the whole thing. The tracks on their own are better suited to adding to your own playlists.

I think this could be used as a blanket statement for every post Holland Beach Boys album.

Are you really not satisfied when you complete your listening of TWGMTR? I mean, there may be some duds on there (though I’ve grown to like the duds) but as a whole it is a pretty satisfying listen...in that I don’t take off my headphones and feel negative thoughts about the album. Overall it’s a happy/good listening experience. But that’s just my opinion.

Personally, I love TWGMTR, but I think its partly due to my really getting into the catalog in the summer of 2012. It seems as the album approaches its sixth birthday, fan opinion isn't as positive. 

What a shame if that’s the case. It’s not perfect, but it certainly has really top-notch music on it. I wonder what it’s reputation will be in 30 years.

Unfortunately, I think its rep will continue to decline as the novelty wears off.  That tends to happen with one off reunion albums.  Van Halen released a solid album earlier in 2012 that's been all but forgotten.  Fun fact, both the Van Halen and Beach Boys comeback albums missing hitting #1 on Billboard due to Adele.

For me, its one of my favorite BB albums.  Especially from a consistency standpoint. 

Ha ha, couldn't  stand it from the first listen. Yet again Hickory V is ahead of the curve  Razz
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »

I don't think there's an out and out stinker on there really, but it just doesn't coalesce as a whole. Not a satisfying listen if you play the whole thing. The tracks on their own are better suited to adding to your own playlists.

I think this could be used as a blanket statement for every post Holland Beach Boys album.

Are you really not satisfied when you complete your listening of TWGMTR? I mean, there may be some duds on there (though I’ve grown to like the duds) but as a whole it is a pretty satisfying listen...in that I don’t take off my headphones and feel negative thoughts about the album. Overall it’s a happy/good listening experience. But that’s just my opinion.

Personally, I love TWGMTR, but I think its partly due to my really getting into the catalog in the summer of 2012. It seems as the album approaches its sixth birthday, fan opinion isn't as positive. 

What a shame if that’s the case. It’s not perfect, but it certainly has really top-notch music on it. I wonder what it’s reputation will be in 30 years.

Unfortunately, I think its rep will continue to decline as the novelty wears off.  That tends to happen with one off reunion albums.  Van Halen released a solid album earlier in 2012 that's been all but forgotten.  Fun fact, both the Van Halen and Beach Boys comeback albums missing hitting #1 on Billboard due to Adele.

For me, its one of my favorite BB albums.  Especially from a consistency standpoint. 

It’s beginning to grow on me that way too. Years back I really disliked the inclusion of ‘Daybreak’ but now I think it really fits, and probably has the most ethereal sounding harmonies on the album. Same with ‘Beaches In Mind’ - I’ve found its really just a fun harmless song.

Shame there wasn’t a second reunion album. But I’m really glad we got this one.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2018, 11:12:04 AM »

It’s beginning to grow on me that way too. Years back I really disliked the inclusion of ‘Daybreak’ but now I think it really fits, and probably has the most ethereal sounding harmonies on the album. Same with ‘Beaches In Mind’ - I’ve found its really just a fun harmless song.

Shame there wasn’t a second reunion album. But I’m really glad we got this one.

I've grown to.appreciate Daybreak more as well.   I've always liked Beaches in Mind. 

A follow up would've been nice, but I couldnt imagine a more fitting studio swan song than Summer's Gone. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx