gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:55:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holland was released 45 years ago today.  (Read 10003 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 03:28:15 AM »

I think Holland is the Beach Boys most successful foray into 1970s rock.  Unlike Sunflower and Surf's Up, Holland featured longer songs with some very good instrumental solos (Steamboat, Leaving This Town) which is absent on most BB material.  One cant help but wonder what would've become of The Beach Boys had they stayed on this path.

For me, most of the lengthier solos and interludes are unwelcome on a Beach Boys album. I like the Steamboat solo as it really fits the song well, but Leaving This Town is way to long and rambling for me. Otherwise, the Holland album is killer though.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 04:20:12 AM »

Bought it the day it came out...never regretted it!

In the doc Jack talks about an upright piano that became a significant anchor for the sound on many of the tracks. You can hear that on "Steamboat," "Trader," "Leaving Town," "Only With You," "Funky Pretty." Who was playing the piano on those tracks? Carl and Dennis seem to get the credit from what I've seen.

Without knowing with absolute certainty, I would say you're right - except for "Funky Pretty", which was almost certainly Brian. A contemporaneous article indicated Brian, Carl, and Ricky played all the instruments on that one, with Brian playing the drums because Ricky stayed "home" with a cold that day (evidently he overdubbed something else - the conga, maybe? - at a later date).
KDS
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 06:13:52 AM »

I think Holland is the Beach Boys most successful foray into 1970s rock.  Unlike Sunflower and Surf's Up, Holland featured longer songs with some very good instrumental solos (Steamboat, Leaving This Town) which is absent on most BB material.  One cant help but wonder what would've become of The Beach Boys had they stayed on this path.

For me, most of the lengthier solos and interludes are unwelcome on a Beach Boys album. I like the Steamboat solo as it really fits the song well, but Leaving This Town is way to long and rambling for me. Otherwise, the Holland album is killer though.

I'm fine with it because other 60s artists where stretching their legs musically in the 1970s, The Who for example.  I honestly think, had they continued more in this vein, they'd ultimately be more respected today than they are now.  But, in the short term, 15 Big Ones sold a lot of albums, and the Beach Boys had some big hits with some lackluster covers that didn't stand the test of time nearly as well as Holland. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 09:16:27 AM »

Bought it the day it came out...never regretted it!

In the doc Jack talks about an upright piano that became a significant anchor for the sound on many of the tracks. You can hear that on "Steamboat," "Trader," "Leaving Town," "Only With You," "Funky Pretty." Who was playing the piano on those tracks? Carl and Dennis seem to get the credit from what I've seen.

Without knowing with absolute certainty, I would say you're right - except for "Funky Pretty", which was almost certainly Brian. A contemporaneous article indicated Brian, Carl, and Ricky played all the instruments on that one, with Brian playing the drums because Ricky stayed "home" with a cold that day (evidently he overdubbed something else - the conga, maybe? - at a later date).

FWIW, Brian's Facebook account posted this yesterday:

On this day in 1973, the Beach Boys released their classic album, "Holland." Brian's "Sail On, Sailor" became an FM staple and Al Jardine's "California Saga" is a perennial favorite. The complex "Funky Pretty" featured Brian on all instruments (drums, percussion, synthesizer, piano). The album peaked at #36 on the US Billboard Albums Chart.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »

Has there been an explanation why they left out "We got love" and not for instance "Leaving this town" or "Steamboat"? Not releasing the stunningly beautiful "We got love" must be one of their biggest mistakes ever, imo...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:33:43 PM by bsten » Logged
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »

Carry Me Home would have been nice too (even if it wasn't intended for Holland)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 02:04:14 PM »

“We Got Love” seems like such a wasted opportunity for a song on Holland. That intro holds so much promise...It goes from some awesome unknown genre of country/rock to gospel and stays gospel the rest of the song. And none of that intro piano or great guitar noodling is heard in the rest of the song.

The intro sounds like a song that deserves to be the opening to the album - it sounds like a new day, a new era for The Beach Boys (sounds very much like River Song), then the song unfortunately turns into what sounds like ‘Unleash the Love’.

It’s not that I dislike the song, I think Blondie’s lead is great, and I do enjoy some gospel, but it doesn’t fit on Holland at all, imo.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:04:53 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »

How is this for creepy? Listening to “We Got Love” on Apple Music, and these are the lyrics they supply:

I will be by your side Because I love you
Forever can you also your love can

We going out to Date will Bruce you have
to stay away from your wife Becaues

I loved him everymore? can you make a
other song for me I want to hear to

Surfer Girls and Darln’ Because I loved to
Hear your voies ok? can we will

going to see movie I want to see Beach
boys please I need you married to

me Because you have too.

Amanda Miller

Well.....I don’t think these are the lyrics to “We Got Love”?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 02:25:11 PM »

How is this for creepy? Listening to “We Got Love” on Apple Music, and these are the lyrics they supply:

me Because you have too.

Amanda Miller

Looks like those weird, incoherent youtube comments that are left on every other Beach Boys video... what's up with that?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »

me Because you have too.

Amanda Miller

Looks like those weird, incoherent youtube comments that are left on every other Beach Boys video... what's up with that?

Hmmm, makes no sense why they’d become lyrics on a streaming site!

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 03:37:33 PM »

Has there been an explanation why they left out "We got love" and not for instance "Leaving this town" or "Steamboat"? Not releasing the stunningly beautiful "We got love" must be one of their biggest mistake ever, imo...

Leaving Steamboat off or replacing it would have been a terrible mistake I believe. Definitely not WGL in its place.

Holland is the album that helped set me free from living with my parents after college graduation. Pushed me to take my first professional full-time job a thousand miles away. Best thing that ever happened to me. Holland was there every night after work on a lonely old night.
KDS
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 07:41:31 PM »

Has there been an explanation why they left out "We got love" and not for instance "Leaving this town" or "Steamboat"? Not releasing the stunningly beautiful "We got love" must be one of their biggest mistakes ever, imo...

If I had to ditch a Holland track in favor of We Got Love, it would be Funky Pretty.  I think Funky Pretty sounds very out of place.  Its not a bad song, but also not nearly as good as the preceeding eight, or We Got Love. 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 08:07:37 PM »

If I had to ditch a Holland track in favor of We Got Love, it would be Funky Pretty.  I think Funky Pretty sounds very out of place.  Its not a bad song, but also not nearly as good as the preceeding eight, or We Got Love.  

Nope. FP has that Holland vibe running through it. The one song on the album that has never seemed to fit is Only With You. Good song, but doesn't flow with the rest of the LP.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:11:34 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 08:16:32 PM »

If I had to ditch a Holland track in favor of We Got Love, it would be Funky Pretty.  I think Funky Pretty sounds very out of place.  Its not a bad song, but also not nearly as good as the preceeding eight, or We Got Love. 

Nope. FP has that Holland vibe running through it. The one song on the album that has never seemed to fit is Only With You, the only love song on the LP.

Hmmm...never thought about it, but you're right..."OWY" is indeed the only love song on the album!  "FP" kinda comes close, since it's a guy singing about his girl...but not TO her, the way he does in "OWY". The other songs are about various topics, but NOT romance!  Interesting...even the Fairy Tale has no romance themes whatsoever.

That said though, "OWY" fits on Holland perfectly for me...in fact, every song on the whole album does. Holland as a whole has got it's very own, stately vibe...much the same as "Pet Sounds" or "Love You" have their own vibes. Or "Wild Honey" and "Friends". All those LPs do. "Smiley Smile", even. To a lesser degree, "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" do as well. Even "20/20" to a very lesser extent. Only "So Tough" really doesn't. But the Holland vibe...I mean, even when I first heard it, at age 14, about 5 years after it's release...it just has this very special, stately vibe.
KDS
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 08:26:17 PM »

If I had to ditch a Holland track in favor of We Got Love, it would be Funky Pretty.  I think Funky Pretty sounds very out of place.  Its not a bad song, but also not nearly as good as the preceeding eight, or We Got Love.  

Nope. FP has that Holland vibe running through it. The one song on the album that has never seemed to fit is Only With You. Good song, but doesn't flow with the rest of the LP.

I think Only With You fits better musically than FP.   Though, I think Dennis shouldve sang it. 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 09:14:17 PM »

I think Only With You fits better musically than FP.   Though, I think Dennis shouldve sang it. 
You're missing the mood or the sonic flow of the album. Actually, the mysterious Steamboat really sets the stage with CS, and the incredible second half of Trader,
the weary middle break in Leaving followed by the witchy, moody FP. The far out Mt. Vernon with it's unfinished snippets can only leave you not wanting this erie journey to ever end. Only with you is fine but just not on this album.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 10:46:01 PM »

Usually I'm one to detach emotion from music and just listen analytically,  but I don't spin Holland often because it puts me in a depressed mood. Something about those songs, the sound, and even the cover bring me right down.

I like the songs, Mike's line at the end of Funky Pretty is one of the best  contrapunctal melodies they did.

But something about it makes me feel despondent. Only Beach Boys album (in my collection) to do that
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:46:33 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 02:29:28 AM »

Usually I'm one to detach emotion from music and just listen analytically,  but I don't spin Holland often because it puts me in a depressed mood. Something about those songs, the sound, and even the cover bring me right down.

I like the songs, Mike's line at the end of Funky Pretty is one of the best  contrapunctal melodies they did.

But something about it makes me feel despondent. Only Beach Boys album (in my collection) to do that

SiP does that to me. But it's a Love thing.
KDS
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 05:11:02 AM »

You're missing the mood or the sonic flow of the album. Actually, the mysterious Steamboat really sets the stage with CS, and the incredible second half of Trader,
the weary middle break in Leaving followed by the witchy, moody FP. The far out Mt. Vernon with it's unfinished snippets can only leave you not wanting this erie journey to ever end. Only with you is fine but just not on this album.

I don't really think I'm missing anything.  Just in my opinion, the first eight songs on Holland sound like they belong together where FP sounds like an outlier. 

Why is it on Beach Boys forums when you say you're not into a song or album, that somehow means "you're missing something"? 

I don't even consider Mt Vernon part of the album proper.  I think the Beach Boys were right to keep that as a separate EP. 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 06:02:27 AM »

For me, most of the lengthier solos and interludes are unwelcome on a Beach Boys album. I like the Steamboat solo as it really fits the song well, but Leaving This Town is way to long and rambling for me.

I have to disagree. For me, the two extended instrumental workouts in a BB song (in "Leaving This Town" and "Feel Flows") are absolutely stunning. Both play out over a repeating pattern (one-bar and two-bar respectively) introduced for that purpose only.

Kudos to Ricky and Carl (and Charles).   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 06:43:53 AM »

A couple of posters on this thread have been asking if there's been a good book about Holland. I remembered the Shelley Benoit booklet that I first read in Kingsley Abbott's Back To The Beach compendium, and found a link to it here :

http://troun.tripod.com/holland.html

Should tell you quite a lot about the making of Holland - not everything, but fills in several gaps !
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 07:29:18 AM »

Holland is one of those rare albums where everything seems to fit. Only with You, Funky Pretty, the fairy tale - all great stuff, I wouldn't want to miss any of it!

There are two things that I find particularly interesting about this album: 1. how they managed to fuse the rootsy/The Band-like sound of So Tough with an increased use of synthesizers; 2. the way the group vocals were mixed and produced on this one - I think 'more ambient' is what Tom Petty called it in the twofer booklet. It sounds gorgeous! Of all the 'true group albums' they did after Friends, this is the one I like best. I think this is where they found their definite 70s sound.
KDS
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »

Holland is one of those rare albums where everything seems to fit. Only with You, Funky Pretty, the fairy tale - all great stuff, I wouldn't want to miss any of it!

There are two things that I find particularly interesting about this album: 1. how they managed to fuse the rootsy/The Band-like sound of So Tough with an increased use of synthesizers; 2. the way the group vocals were mixed and produced on this one - I think 'more ambient' is what Tom Petty called it in the twofer booklet. It sounds gorgeous! Of all the 'true group albums' they did after Friends, this is the one I like best. I think this is where they found their definite 70s sound.

I agree that this is the definitive 70s Beach Boys sounds, and it's a pity it only exists on one album.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 07:34:48 AM »

A couple of posters on this thread have been asking if there's been a good book about Holland. I remembered the Shelley Benoit booklet that I first read in Kingsley Abbott's Back To The Beach compendium, and found a link to it here :

Should tell you quite a lot about the making of Holland - not everything, but fills in several gaps !

Bookmarked. Thank you for this!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 08:07:53 AM »

Yeah, I remember that. Thanks for the link!
Kingsley Abbott's anthology was my first source for deeper information about the band. Really a great book.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx