gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:58:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Music  (Read 4768 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:12:45 AM »

So from what I could find online, California Music was a super group of sorts led by Bruce Johnston and Curt Boettcher. And Brian Wilson was in it to some extent? Can I get some more information about CM and where I can hear their music?
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 07:34:35 AM »

Afraid I dont know much more......although tbey had recorded at one stage for Bruce and Terrys label, Equinox, released via CBS in UK I think. A Gloria Grinel sang on record with them for at least one tune . Curt sang lead on Jamaica Farewell.......sort akin to Sloop John B. Best thing in my opionion to search for is the song Brian W sang lead on.........think it was a very 4/ 4 version of Why do fools fall in Love. If I can check, shall do so. It is nice production....accordion an' all
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:40:08 AM »

Oops....via youtube...thats Terry on lead. Check the production though.......nearness to Male Ego   ( in a good way). Think I bought this arond early to mid 70s....on vinyl 45 at time of release
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:01:42 AM »

The Wikipedia entry is pretty informative.  Seems that Brian’s involvement was the source of some conflict due to The Beach Boys being under contract with Warner Bros.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Music

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:45:08 AM »

Did they really have high hopes that a faceless band, a "supergroup" with only one or two truly known names outside of industry circles (the Traveling Wilburys this was not), was going to be particularly successful, especially by doing covers of 50s and 60s tracks in 1975?

I'm not saying it had no chance, but all of this coupled with Brian clearly in 1975 not being on his a-game had to spelled disaster for this thing from the outset.

It's not even like in retrospect it sounds like it would have been a really great project. Not that those guys weren't talented, but most of those guys didn't have an awesome resume going circa mid-late 70s. If Brian had had an album's worth of brand new songs we've never otherwise heard, and had plans to have someone else with a pleasant (even if kind of bland) voice to sing them like Terry Melcher, then maybe it would at least be in the "lost potential gems" category.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 08:53:03 AM »

fortunately the old RCA WDFFIL? single is a stereo pressing

the lead vocal Gloria Grinell shares with Terry Melcher.  Brians' voice is very prominent in the BGV's

I've always liked it
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »

According to a comment on WDFFIL, Dean Torrence sings on the track too.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 10:03:01 AM »

I seem to recall a recording supposedly by CM of "Don't Worry Baby" with Bruce singing newly re-written lyrics.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »

I seem to recall a recording supposedly by CM of "Don't Worry Baby" with Bruce singing newly re-written lyrics.

I have that 45, will have to check and see if the lyrics are different.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 10:14:07 AM »

The melody is different !!   It is very good to my ears....
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 09:20:32 PM »

I have that 45, will have to check and see if the lyrics are different.
I've heard one version of the song with alternate lyrics. I remember one line was "There's magic in her eyes, that makes me come alive when she says..." right before the chorus. I can't remember who does it though.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 12:11:30 AM »

On eBay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CURT-BOETTCHER-CALIFORNIA-MUSIC-CD-PROD-BRIAN-WILSON-BRUCE-JOHNSTON-T-MELCHER/253344635551

although really only worth it for Bruce's exquisite "Brand New Old Friends" (aka the original source for "Happy Endings")
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:16:20 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 02:46:55 AM »

got that cd when it came out. Good music......havent gone upstairs to check...but think it was on Poptones label
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 05:25:32 AM »

I have the California Music CD, it's kind of OK. Love their version of Jamaica Farewell.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »

Is California Music album available to download anywhere? Cannot find it on either amazon or iTunes.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 07:22:17 PM »

I have the California Music CD, it's kind of OK. Love their version of Jamaica Farewell.

I love this CD, it's got great production throughout. I don't know if there's any BW involvement on it (I don't think so), but this is the great Curt Boettcher's last hurrah. Be aware though that some of the songs are disco -- but it's quality disco.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 01:36:46 AM »

On eBay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CURT-BOETTCHER-CALIFORNIA-MUSIC-CD-PROD-BRIAN-WILSON-BRUCE-JOHNSTON-T-MELCHER/253344635551

although really only worth it for Bruce's exquisite "Brand New Old Friends" (aka the original source for "Happy Endings")

It's certainly a lovely track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDXqI8XlnMs

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 02:45:31 AM »

I like Brand New Old Friends. What's funny to me is how Bruce Johnston wrote this when he was still in his 20s (or early 30s?). It's nostalgic in a maudlin/sappy way where I find it hard to picture a fairly young person coming up with it.
SBonilla
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:08 AM »

The supergroup aspect of California Music was pretty much a journalistic hype. All or nearly all of the productions surrounding these releases (the RCA ones), fell under Terry Melcher's Equinox production company deal with RCA. Equinox had to deliver some number of singles and album  masters to RCA over a period of time in order to fulfill their contractual obligation. There was a 'team' of producers/artists/songwriters who, in various combinations, carried out the various creative duties. Mostly it was  Terry Melcher and Bruce Johnston, Curt Becher (as he was known then) and Bill House (check out his album; very good) were also involved.

There was some legal and economic convenience to using the California Music moniker. Equinox would not have to sign individual artists or groups in order to make some of the records. My suspicion is that Terry and/or Bruce owned the name.

From the looks of it, the agreement was structured on singles deals with options, and a small number of guaranteed album releases (Terry Melcher, Bill House, and I believe the David Cassidy - The Higher They Climb, album may have been part that deal).

Equinox may have 'promised' RCA that Brian would be a major participant; they had at least one commitment for Brian's production and arrangement services (Why Do Fools Fall In Love). That would have certainly sweetened the deal, considerably. I think Brian's skimpy involvement may be due to a combination of factors: contractual conflicts, loss of interest on Brian's part, or even an inability for Brian to do more than arrange, sing backgrounds, and co-produce that one track (WDFFIL).

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 11:50:48 AM »

I think Brian's skimpy involvement may be due to a combination of factors: contractual conflicts, loss of interest on Brian's part, or even an inability for Brian to do more than arrange, sing backgrounds, and co-produce that one track (WDFFIL).

Also, wasn't there some concern from BB Management, and maybe Marilyn, that this 'alternative' source of income for Brian might be used to buy drugs? I think they were trying to keep him under wraps in this period.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:28 PM »

It was reported that way at the time.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »

This is another excellent set that pulls together the best bits from that period...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/California-Music-Disney-Girls-RCA-Equinox-Colle-BVCM-31050-CD-JAPAN-2000-NEW/253142536994

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 10:11:57 AM »

I've heard one version of the song with alternate lyrics. I remember one line was "There's magic in her eyes, that makes me come alive when she says..." right before the chorus. I can't remember who does it though.

That's The Tokens version.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:12:23 AM by BeachBoysCovers » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx