gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:48:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any good Beach Boys podcasts  (Read 5809 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »

I started listening to a podcast called "Screw It, Let's Just Talk About the Beatles," which features a group of Beatles fans sitting around talking about one Beatles album per episode and later gets into various other Beatles topics. It's not particularly nerdy, in that they don't talk about demos or different takes. They just have informal discussions about each topic, like they're sitting around having a drink and a chat. I've tried other Beatles podcasts that become monotonous after a while...just different ways of saying how great they were. This one is relatively light and fun...even funny.

I wonder if there are any Beach Boys podcasts worth hearing? I know Beach Boys podcasts exist; I'm just looking for recommendations.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 03:46:55 PM »

The most recent (Beach Boys) podcast I've gotten into is this...
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25580.0.html
It's FAR more nerdy and far better than "Screw It, Let's Just Talk About The Beatles."

Another Beatles podcast that I've enjoyed immensely is...
http://somethingaboutthebeatles.com/
Just scroll through the episodes until you find a topic you are in the mood for Smiley
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:50:24 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 04:31:21 PM »

David Beard’s Good Vibrations podcast is very good.  He’s talked to Mike, Al, Brian, and various other band members and key players.  Definitely worth a listen. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/good-vibrations-a-beach-boys-music-program/id1313106797
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:31:54 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:13:07 PM »

And don't forget the Pray For Surf podcast too and (the first one) The Unofficial Beach Boys Fan Podcast which is sadly published very infrequently. Beach Boys fans have gone from1 podcast devoted to the group to 3 more great ones.

I agree about Something About The Beatles. It's the gold standard for Beatles podcasts. Robert Rodriguez takes a scholarly approach to the group's history but manages to have that fan enthusiasm too. Things We Said Today and Fab 4 Free 4 All are my other go-to Beatles podcasts.

Now if only someone would be up for a Cliff Richard & The Shadows-cast.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 07:10:53 PM »

No love for Howie Edelson's Fabcast?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 08:40:33 PM »

No love for Howie Edelson's Fabcast?

Yeah, they have some good episodes (the Mark Lewisohn episode was one of the best interviews I've ever heard) but they only put a new show out every few months so I think they get lost in the shuffle. I hope they can have a steady schedule at some point.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:15:39 AM »

Y'know, we actually don't mind getting lost in the shuffle.  The "shuffle" is pretty dire. Unlike pretty much all the others, we stop and THINK about what we're putting out into the universe before adhering to a schedule of regurgitating old facts.

As we posted a while back. . .

FABCAST is new and real.

It's mature.

It's not history being read back to you in podcast/radio show form.
It's none of the usual aspects of Beatles fandom -- cartoons, wish lists, trivia contests, name that tune, dudes wanting to be comedians or on ESPN.

It's another level from how The Beatles has ever been discussed.
It's about two things -- what happened and what it MEANS.

What it means.
The big picture.

Adults talking about The Beatles intelligently.
Brunch is NOT served.

This is Beatles talk after you've learned to swim.

Real Talk. Real Love. Real Beatles.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 07:02:51 AM »

As an observer, I think one of the reasons Fabcast works so well is that it isn't on some sort of stringent album-by-album or chronological schedule.

When you force one specific topic, then it can end up being a bit like high school speech class where you're forced to say X number of things about the topic. I'm sure the Fabcast guys could hit any album or era hard, but I think the episode list for Fabcast is brilliant. It *starts* with Let It Be out of the gate, and later jumps around to solo eras. They had Mark Lewisohn on, and Lewisohn did 2 and 1/2 hours with them on *LATE 80s* McCartney.

But, other than complaining that the Fabcast guys didn't strap Lewisohn down to a chair and make him do 35 hours, as much as I want a Fabcast every day or week, whatever they're doing works. If you're not willing to, when appropriate, point out that Pete Best stunk on the drums or that Lennon had zero in the tank during "Let It Be", or that the Rooftop concert blew every other live band away, then a podcast can get very same-ey very fast.

The BBs need a podcast that can and will delve into the 1998 splintering of the end of C50 the same way that the Fabcast guys and Lewisohn sunk their teeth into talking about that 1983 Beatles Dorchester meeting. I love hearing *Howie's* mind get blown by Lewisohn's revelations on that one.

As I've mentioned before, I've considered a BB cast, but I'd probably take five years to do a "Pet Sounds" episode while I did episodes on "Keepin' the Summer Alive", the 1983 tour, the 1998 breakup, and an episode on just the Blondie and Ricky stuff from 1972/73.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 11:17:03 AM »

Y'know, we actually don't mind getting lost in the shuffle.  The "shuffle" is pretty dire. Unlike pretty much all the others, we stop and THINK about what we're putting out into the universe before adhering to a schedule of regurgitating old facts.

As we posted a while back. . .

FABCAST is new and real.

It's mature.

It's not history being read back to you in podcast/radio show form.
It's none of the usual aspects of Beatles fandom -- cartoons, wish lists, trivia contests, name that tune, dudes wanting to be comedians or on ESPN.

It's another level from how The Beatles has ever been discussed.
It's about two things -- what happened and what it MEANS.

What it means.
The big picture.

Adults talking about The Beatles intelligently.
Brunch is NOT served.

This is Beatles talk after you've learned to swim.

Real Talk. Real Love. Real Beatles.

I'm well aware of your mission statement and have listened to every one of your podcasts. I listen to EVERY Beatles-related podcast (not as difficult as it sounds if one has a long commute every day).

You guys (including Dave before he left) set out to tell us what you wouldn't be (and yes, there IS too much joking around on a certain other podcast) but I'm still waiting for you to deliver and give us something different on a consistent basis (perhaps not weekly, but still...). 
 Right now, I think the show is not too dissimilar from a few others out there. In my opinion, the closest you came to REALLY fulfilling that mission was in the Lewisohn podcast. I've heard him interviewed hundreds of times but I've never heard him speak so candidly about working with Paul. I think more of that insider discussion will distinguish your show from the others and frankly...it would be most welcome. I've probably relistened to that particular show at least 10 times!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:39:02 AM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 12:25:32 PM »

Thanks for listening.

Re: This: Right now, I think the show is not too dissimilar from a few others out there.

I couldn't disagree more, Ghosty. What Fabcast offers is unlike any Beatles podcast.
We know exactly what's out there -- and it's out there like CLOCKWORK.
No one sounds like us. No one covers it like we do.

We're making sure that the quality is consistent.
It's easy to mass produce burgers when no one cares about the taste.

We could pump out 4 a month talking about mono mixes and Beatles movies.
But, we're better than that and more importantly -- we give a sh it.
There's a reason why you would want re-listen to something 10 times (thank you, by the way.)

The ingredients count in art.
That's why we're all here in the first place.

Better ingredients.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:41:54 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »

Speaking of which...new episode about Murry Wilson up today...

https://sailon.podbean.com
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'll disagree about "Screw It, We're Gonna Talk About the Beatles." I LIKE it because it's not nerdy and wonky. It's just a casual conversation. I listen to podcasts while I cook, and sometimes I'm just looking for something fun. In fact, I learned about it via a recommendation review. It received praise because it doesn't take itself too seriously.
That said, I'm looking forward to checking out some other Beatles podcasts...and some of the Beach Boys podcasts here.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 07:13:59 AM »

For those who have been turned on to Fabcast, just a few days ago a new episode was posted. 3 and 1/2 hours focusing on December 8, 1980. I finally was able to finish it after several sessions. Riveting, sometimes traumatic stuff. Interviews with the likes of Jack Douglas and Fred Seaman like you've rarely if ever heard or read. Who else would go deep enough to ask Jack Douglas about asking for producer points on "Double Fantasy?"

*This* is why the episodes aren't churned out like clockwork and vacu-formed to fit every chronological expected topic.

When John Lennon was killed, I think a lot of fans, especially as the years went on, grappled with how sad or traumatized we should be. How self-absorbed would it be to be *that* sad about it? Well, this episode more than anything else I've read or heard on the topic traverses that subject in the right way.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 08:49:18 AM »

Right on, Jude.
grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »

I make a podcast about Sunshine pop and Surf music:

https://sunshinepast.podbean.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »

For those who have been turned on to Fabcast, just a few days ago a new episode was posted. 3 and 1/2 hours focusing on December 8, 1980. I finally was able to finish it after several sessions. Riveting, sometimes traumatic stuff. Interviews with the likes of Jack Douglas and Fred Seaman like you've rarely if ever heard or read. Who else would go deep enough to ask Jack Douglas about asking for producer points on "Double Fantasy?"

*This* is why the episodes aren't churned out like clockwork and vacu-formed to fit every chronological expected topic.

When John Lennon was killed, I think a lot of fans, especially as the years went on, grappled with how sad or traumatized we should be. How self-absorbed would it be to be *that* sad about it? Well, this episode more than anything else I've read or heard on the topic traverses that subject in the right way.

Wow, Fred Seaman.  I’ve always wondered about that guy.  Never could be sure if he was really the close confidante he claimed to be or just a disgruntled opportunist.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 03:20:18 PM »

Wow, Fred Seaman.  I’ve always wondered about that guy.  Never could be sure if he was really the close confidante he claimed to be or just a disgruntled opportunist.

Yeah, that caught my eye too. I'll have to check that out.

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »

COMMENT:

Lots of good stuff here >>>  https://sailon.podbean.com/

Called:  " SAIL ON - THE BEACH BOYS PODCAST "

Interviews, Discussions, Music, Stereo!, High Production Values

Recommended  ~swd
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 04:33:46 PM »

Digging Sail On. I'm liking that they alternate between episodes based on albums and episodes based on other aspects of the band. I hope they keep it going long enough, to the point where they've run out of albums to dissect and start delving deeper into any old subject that takes their fancy and hopefully include special guests.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 06:40:06 AM »

I'm pretty sure he has ample and strong evidence he was a close confidante. He was the personal assistant for several years up until the end. Lots of photos to back it up as I recall.

Whether he's a disgruntled opportunist is obviously open for debate. I read his book years ago expecting some hack, shady, tell-all book. But it was pretty grounded, came across as pretty darn credible, and didn't have a bunch of crazy, fantastical stories in it. Pretty tame by today's standards. I think he has admitted he made some naïve decisions in the aftermath of John's death, not realizing what would happen if he passed a bunch of tapes and journals to Julian without telling Yoko, etc. Or maybe he knew what would happen but misjudged how epic the punishment would be. It has been quite awhile since I read the book.

He's never been one of those obviously questionable, fringe characters with bunch of unbelievable stories. He has never claimed John and Paul secretly recorded a reunion album that we'll never hear, etc.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 06:42:05 AM by HeyJude » Logged

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 09:24:11 AM »

Just scroll through the episodes until you find a topic you are in the mood for Smiley

That podcast no longer exists; the hosts had a nasty falling-out. A lot of he-said, she-said involved. Sad

My go-to Beatles podcast is Fab 4 Free 4 All. Those guys are effing hilarious!

I used to listen to Screw It, but the hosts do too much of that "*tsk*"ing for me to stand it...way too distracting. I hate that. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, just watch the news on TV. Every single time an anchor looks up from the desk or changes the story....ugghghh....)

I was hoping to do a Beach Boys podcast....even started scouting out cohosts....but a friend of mine grabbed me to cohost his video game podcast, which I've been doing for almost three years now...and now the Sail On guys stepped in, making my yet-to-be-realized Beach Boys podcast unnecessary. :/

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 09:30:38 AM »

That podcast no longer exists; the hosts had a nasty falling-out. A lot of he-said, she-said involved. Sad

It still exists, but you're right that one of the hosts (Richard Buskin) is no longer involved. Robert Rodriguez is bringing on more guest hosts to compensate.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx