gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:03:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which group did better in 1963?
The Beatles
The Beach Boys

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1963: The Beach Boys vs. The Beatles  (Read 12425 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2018, 11:14:52 AM »

So yeah, "The Beach Boys beat the Beatles. That makes me happy" is sad and embarrassing, in my opinion.
But people who said it *realize* Beatles' greatness. Again, why can't it be both - be happy for BBs AND think Beatles to be generally better, discuss them if you like? What's so difficult about saying you like BBs, be happy they win & right there discuss points about how Beatles is better/ greater band? I'd written this many times yet it keeps not being addressed.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »

f you're fist-pumping and saying "yyyyeahhhh!" because more people on a Beach Boys board (many of whom don't seem to like or be familiar with the Beatles' catalog of music) voted in a poll for the Beach Boys, then that makes me sad for this board. I'm not trying to be sanctimonious, I'm not trying to be overly-dramatic.

But it is overdramatic when you're cherry-picking a couple odd posts then calling an entire thread out for being a "my team beat your team" thread. It shouldn't make you sad for this board when the majority of posts were civil discussion about both bands. There are always a couple people who can make outlandish and embarrassing posts on any message board, it doesn't make the entire board bad.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »

I don't think there's much more I can explain. I think being happy the BBs won a poll on a Beach Boys board against another band is just silly and embarrassing, looking from the outside in. Especially when the other band is the Beatles. One either gets where I'm coming from, or doesn't.

I've never ONCE sat down of my own accord with "Revolver" and "Pet Sounds" in front of me and thought about which one would or should win a contest.

Yes, I'll comment on such if it's brought up, especially when facts are being ignored or incorrectly stated. I have no problem saying both subjectively and objectively that there is the Beatles, and then everything else.

But I don't *start* from there. I just love it all. I'll *go* there if someone else starts telling me otherwise. I know these bands well enough, I'll go deep and parse with the best of them. Hence being roped into having to go cut-and-paste the inane lyrics to "Ten Little Indians" when people post a Beatles lyric as if "pfft, see? look how silly those lyrics are!"

Lennon vs. McCartney debates are dumb too. I've seen those *among* Beatles fans. As in, truly there are Beatles fans that seem to loathe one and love the other, or feel the need to constantly validate one over the other. What is *that*? I'd call that among the worst of Beatles fandom.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »

f you're fist-pumping and saying "yyyyeahhhh!" because more people on a Beach Boys board (many of whom don't seem to like or be familiar with the Beatles' catalog of music) voted in a poll for the Beach Boys, then that makes me sad for this board. I'm not trying to be sanctimonious, I'm not trying to be overly-dramatic.

But it is overdramatic when you're cherry-picking a couple odd posts then calling an entire thread out for being a "my team beat your team" thread. It shouldn't make you sad for this board when the majority of posts were civil discussion about both bands. There are always a couple people who can make outlandish and embarrassing posts on any message board, it doesn't make the entire board bad.

There's no problem with civility on this thread. That's all fine.

But "my team is better" is *absolutely* the entire crux of this thread. That's what the poll is, the poll that the thread is centered around. It's right there in the title. *VERSUS* As in, pick one. Which one do you like more? Which is better?

So, the crux of that poll is not something that I feel reflects the best of fandom. The absurdity of dismissing the Beatles' output (which, very true, only a few have actively done) is a separate but also embarrassing issue.

Again, the same would be true if everything was reversed. Indeed, I recall debating narrow-minded Beatles fans in the olden days of the Usenet, where they were throwing around all of the typical, WRONG stuff like "just a surfing band", etc. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »

I don't think there's much more I can explain. I think being happy the BBs won a poll on a Beach Boys board against another band is just silly and embarrassing, looking from the outside in. Especially when the other band is the Beatles. One either gets where I'm coming from, or doesn't.
I'm in the "doesn't" camp then. What you say here doesn't make any sense & looks like making mountain out of molehill.

I stand by previous post reading your reply to rab2591 - you plain & simple disrespect posters liking BBs stuff better (who, btw, still emphasized that Beatles is great band. But of course, conveniently it's dismissed).

Difference is - you hilariously care & dread that some people will choose BBs in every year. I don't.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:37:26 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 11:39:03 AM »

There's no problem with civility on this thread. That's all fine.

But "my team is better" is *absolutely* the entire crux of this thread. That's what the poll is, the poll that the thread is centered around. It's right there in the title. *VERSUS* As in, pick one. Which one do you like more? Which is better?

So, the crux of that poll is not something that I feel reflects the best of fandom. The absurdity of dismissing the Beatles' output (which, very true, only a few have actively done) is a separate but also embarrassing issue.

Again, the same would be true if everything was reversed. Indeed, I recall debating narrow-minded Beatles fans in the olden days of the Usenet, where they were throwing around all of the typical, WRONG stuff like "just a surfing band", etc. 

As long as people are acknowledging the greatness of both bands, I don't see an issue with a Beatles v Beach Boys poll. 

It's just a music forum where people are sharing personal reasons why they prefer whichever band. 

If you disagree with the point of the poll, why bother participating? 

I can see your point about people being somewhat dismissive of The Beatles or saying odd things like "The Beatles had yet to catch up to The Beach Boys artistically," but I think that kind of thing has been few and far between in the three threads so far. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 11:40:27 AM »

Ha! Good catch. Cheesy

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »

At the risk of continuing to sound sanctimonious or patronizing, I've also been around the interwebs long enough to have heard the "if you don't like it, why comment?" argument about a million times. I get what you're saying, but clearly I was trying to make a more broad point, a bit of friendly advice for the collective. Which inevitably comes across as presumptuous, no question.

I regularly don't participate in threads where I can't add anything, or thread with topics that I feel are inane or are well-trodden territory. But I do think this "vs" stuff is beyond that and gets into truly embarrassing territory. People can call me overly-dramatic all they want, but it really is injurious to fandom in a way.

There's no way to say this without sounding too didactic or whatever, but when it comes to this type of stuff especially, my advice (nothing more than advice; I have no control over posters or the board) is to stop doing "versus" polls, stop saying why *this* Beach Boys song is better than *that* Beatles song, and just do a thread on how great some Beach Boys song or album is. Talk about "Pacific Ocean Blue" or hidden gems on "MIU" or how good Mike sounds on "All I Wanna Do", or whatever.

And, additionally, yes, I can't help but go against my better judgment and jump in, knowing what I know about the Beatles, when there are objectively incorrect things being asserted about the Beatles here. I've ignored more of it than not, and I'm not saying it's some huge, rampant problem. But yeah, it comes to the fore a bit in threads like this.

Really, while the idea of getting us all to appreciate all this music is all fine and dandy, nobody comes out looking particularly great having to s**t on something else (however politely) in order to explain what they like.

These threads also raise a bunch of other issues I haven't even gotten into, including hardcore fandom and how it can lead to tunnel-vision and closed-mindedness, and a bunch of other issues. But that's all the more reason to dispense with the "vs" stuff. Again, it doesn't bring out particularly great stuff across the board.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:09:14 PM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »

At the risk of continuing to sound sanctimonious or patronizing, I've also been around the interwebs long enough to have heard the "if you don't like it, why comment?" argument about a million times. I get what you're saying, but clearly I was trying to make a more broad point, a bit of friendly advice for the collective. Which inevitably comes across as presumptuous, no question.

I regularly don't participate in threads where I can't add anything, or thread with topics that I feel are inane or are well-trodden territory. But I do think this "vs" stuff is beyond that and gets into truly embarrassing territory. People can call me overly-dramatic all they want, but it really is injurious to fandom in a way.

There's no way to say this without sounding too didactic or whatever, but when it comes to this type of stuff especially, my advice (nothing more than advice; I have no control over posters or the board) is to stop doing "versus" polls, stop saying why *this* Beach Boys song is better than *that* Beatles song, and just do a thread on how great some Beach Boys song or album is. Talk about "Pacific Ocean Blue" or hidden gems on "MIU" or how good Mike sounds on "All I Wanna Do", or whatever.

And, additionally, yes, I can't help but go against my better judgment and jump in, knowing what I know about the Beatles, when there are objectively incorrect things being asserted about the Beatles here. I've ignored more of it than not, and I'm not saying it's some huge, rampant problem. But yeah, it comes to the fore a bit in threads like this.

Really, while the idea of getting us all to appreciate all this music is all fine and dandy, nobody comes out looking particularly great having to s**t on something else (however politely) in order to explain what they like.

These threads also raise a bunch of other issues I haven't even gotten into, including hardcore fandom and how it can lead to tunnel-vision and closed-mindedness, and a bunch of other issues. But that's all the more reason to dispense with the "vs" stuff. Again, it doesn't bring out particularly great stuff across the board.

This type of vs thread isn't anything new to music fandom. 

Beatles v Beach Boys
Led Zeppelin v The Who
Stairway to Heaven v Freebird
Roth v Hagar
etc etc etc

Let's face it, it drives conversation, and it's not like this forum is devoted to the most active band in the world. 

I used to love watching That Metal Show on Vh1 Classic.  The final segment of each show was called The Throwdown, where they pitted two bands, songs, eras, or albums against each other and the three panelists, along with their guests would take two minutes to offer their two cents on the subject, and it was fun, and highly entertaining in my opinion.  Even if the road is well tread, I don't see any reason why it's not worth going down.   And of all of the comments on the three Beatles v Beach Boys threads, I see very little of anything I'd call embarrassing. 

You might have been on music forums since the inception of the internet, but that's not the case for everybody.   I've noticed in some cases, fans have taken these polls as an opportunity to reassess the material from one band or another. 

Like I said, there are plenty of threads on this board, if you don't like the A vs B thread, just move on. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »

2HeyJude: You're right, it doesn't bring out good. For example, you. The vs. threads brought sanctimonious & patronizing attitude in you which you admitted (& please, without the "at the risk" bit). Clearly, you know your character, how you are & what you are. As everybody does. Then, I'll advise you to quit these poll threads & let the poll game continue, if you really find them embarrassing.

It's fun to compare. Many will agree that it's really enjoyable to compare various music bands & singers. It's fun to read who chooses what band, then the reasons why. It's really interesting & fun. Doesn't matter Beatles or sth. else.

KDS
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2018, 12:40:11 PM »

It's fun to compare. Many will agree that it's really enjoyable to compare various music bands & singers. It's fun to read who chooses what band, then the reasons why. It's really interesting & fun. Doesn't matter Beatles or sth. else.

I agree.   I've had a lot of fun comparing various albums, bands, songs, etc with friends, and other on MBs and Facebook music groups.   It's all part of being a music fan.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »

Beatles v Beach Boys
Led Zeppelin v The Who
Roth v Hagar
etc etc etc

Let's face it, it drives conversation, and it's not like this forum is devoted to the most active band in the world.  

I used to love watching That Metal Show on Vh1 Classic.  The final segment of each show was called The Throwdown, where they pitted two bands, songs, eras, or albums against each other and the three panelists, along with their guests would take two minutes to offer their two cents on the subject, and it was fun, and highly entertaining in my opinion.  Even if the road is well tread, I don't see any reason why it's not worth going down.   And of all of the comments on the three Beatles v Beach Boys threads, I see very little of anything I'd call embarrassing.  

You might have been on music forums since the inception of the internet, but that's not the case for everybody.   I've noticed in some cases, fans have taken these polls as an opportunity to reassess the material from one band or another.  

Like I said, there are plenty of threads on this board, if you don't like the A vs B thread, just move on.  

If the debate is on a neutral forum, say the Steve Hoffman board or something, then as "been there, done that" as it may be, a "Roth vs. Hagar" debate at least doesn't have a built-in spoiler answer.

A Sammy Hagar fan forum having a "Roth vs. Hagar" debate would be equally unneeded. We know the answer, and it's like one big giant straw man poll.

Not that the debates in seemingly neutral forums are that great, either. I remember "That Metal Show", and while Eddie Trunk is quick with the heavy metal/hard rock inside scoop/gossip stuff, those game show-esque bits pitting one thing against the other was dumb then too. Much like that other VH1 music game show they had going for awhile, the one where Coolio spent an entire episode voting down the Beatles because they were just did "teeny bopper" music.

Bottom line, I'm wary of people talking about stuff they don't know anything (or enough) about. I wouldn't weigh in heavily on a Led Zeppelin vs. Beach Boys debate, not only because it would also be pointless, but also because I don't know enough about Zeppelin.

I can't think if a person I know personally who likes and knows well both the BBs and Beatles who ever sits there pitting one against the other. Again, I refer back to holding Pet Sounds and Revolver in each hand. I never think "which one is better?" If someone kidnaps you and forces you on a "Desert Island Discs" show, then you need to make a decision. Otherwise, it's two great albums, two great catalogs of music.

There's more then enough of interest and import inherently within their catalogs that we don't need to say one's better than the other in order to promote conversation. All as always in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:49:39 PM by HeyJude » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2018, 12:49:28 PM »

That's exactly it, KDS. Not only does it drive conversation, but it gets people to listen to the music. I can see what HeyJude is saying; a poll pitting one band against another, it's not exactly the best way to talk about this music. But at the same time, it's not being turned into a "my band is better than your band" thing, really most of us die-hard Beach Boys fans are stating that the Beatles were kings of the music world all-the-while the beach Boys are our favorite band. Sure, some are excited that the Beach Boys won a poll, ok. I've seen plenty of sporadic posts on this forum that make me scratch my head, doesn't mean the entire board is an embarrassment. But mostly these threads have driven conversation, and I think we should only be grateful that posters like Watamushi are helping stoke that conversation here.

I welcome HeyJude's posts about the Beatles and hope he continues to post in these threads - I made some flippant comment about George Harrison's guitar playing a while back and he set me straight about it, and it got me to listen to Cloud Nine...point being, it's nice that there are knowledgable people here willing to interject facts when generalizations are made. If people are saying stuff they don't know enough about, educate them! Get them excited about new music that they're clearly ignorant about. On the flip side of that, I hope those who are excited about posting here continue to share their opinions, whether they be grounded in historical fact, chart ratings, or just solely an ethereal connection to the music.

Idk, maybe these poll threads aren't 100% perfect in theory/practice. But I think that any thread that helps drive conversation/education about beautiful music should be around, if I want to claim that Surfer Girl is a better album than Please Please Me, I should be able to do so. If someone wants to share why they don't agree, do it! If someone gets excited that the Beach Boys won a poll, it's one or two people out of a board of tons of active members, it ain't the end of the world.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2018, 12:53:32 PM »

Beatles v Beach Boys
Led Zeppelin v The Who
Roth v Hagar
etc etc etc

I used to love watching That Metal Show on Vh1 Classic.  The final segment of each show was called The Throwdown, where they pitted two bands, songs, eras, or albums against each other and the three panelists, along with their guests would take two minutes to offer their two cents on the subject, and it was fun, and highly entertaining in my opinion.  Even if the road is well tread, I don't see any reason why it's not worth going down.   And of all of the comments on the three Beatles v Beach Boys threads, I see very little of anything I'd call embarrassing. 

You might have been on music forums since the inception of the internet, but that's not the case for everybody.   I've noticed in some cases, fans have taken these polls as an opportunity to reassess the material from one band or another. 

If the debate is on a neutral forum, say the Steve Hoffman board or something, then as "been there, done that" as it may be, a "Roth vs. Hagar" debate at least doesn't have a built-in spoiler answer.

A Sammy Hagar fan forum having a "Roth vs. Hagar" debate would be equally unneeded. We know the answer, and it's like one big giant straw man poll.

Not that the debates in seemingly neutral forums are that great, either. I remember "That Metal Show", and while Eddie Trunk is quick with the heavy metal/hard rock inside scoop/gossip stuff, those game show-esque bits pitting one thing against the other was dumb then too. Much like that other VH1 music game show they had going for awhile, the one where Coolio spent and entire episode voting down the Beatles because they were just did "teeny bopper" music.

Bottom line, I'm way of people talking about stuff they don't know anything (or enough) about. I wouldn't weigh in heavily on a Led Zeppelin vs. Beach Boys debate, not only because it would also be pointless, but also because I don't know enough about Zeppelin.

Just because you think the Throwdown portion of TMS was dumb doesn't make it so.  It was one of the more popular features on the show, and I think the only segment that lasted for the entire run.  

And the results of the 1964 thread prove that it's not necessarily a straw man poll like you say.  If it were, wouldn't The Beach Boys have run away with it?  

That's fine if you take issue with inaccuracy, but I'm not really understanding your overall problem with the "vs" topics.  

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2018, 01:00:20 PM »

2HeyJude: By that bottom line you mean to tell us people in BBs vs. Beatles threads didn't listen to Beatles' albums & blindly stated they like BBs? What makes you think that way? For all you know, they could be very well-versed in Beatles. Some posters listened to either band back to back in the 60s. They lived during 60s. What gives you away that people may vote ignorantly? This holier-than-thou attitude is really getting tedious.

KDS
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2018, 01:21:55 PM »

2HeyJude: By that bottom line you mean to tell us people in BBs vs. Beatles threads didn't listen to Beatles' albums & blindly stated they like BBs? What makes you think that way? For all you know, they could be very well-versed in Beatles. Some posters listened to either band back to back in the 60s. They lived during 60s. What gives you away that people may vote ignorantly? This holier-than-thou attitude is really getting tedious.

I think that reflects a very small number of Beach Boys fans who dismiss The Beatles for one reason or another (either because The Beatles were more popular or some fans might prefer a more pop minded vocal band as opposed to a more guitar oriented band), but I do agree that RR that the vast majority of fans I've seen on all BB related boards I'm one seem to hold the work of The Beatles in very high regard. 
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »

The Beatles were a great band. Still, I can't imagine anyone believing the Fab 4's music in 1963 was anywhere close to Beach Boys quality.

You really can't imagine *anyone* believing that? You really feel the Beatles' 1963 output was *that* inferior to the BBs?

I can't imagine anyone who truly knows both catalogs up and down having such an extreme view. I think anywhere but a BB message board, other well-informed fans or critics would hand the year to the Beatles. I *do* think a compelling argument can be made for the BBs, and reading such an argument is worthwhile. But I think it's beyond extreme to claim incredulity as to why someone would point to the Beatles' 1963 output being superior.

Extreme view???  Like I said, *I* can't imagine why anyone would think the Beatles' music in 1963 was better than the songs the Beach Boys were producing in that same period. That statement in no way implies a belief that every other music fan must share that opinion.  I acknowledged in my first sentence that the Beatles were a great band.  And had the OP asked about my preference for the period covering the middle to late 1960s, I'm quite certain my response would have been "the Beatles."

It was never my intent to embarrass anyone simply by sharing my honest opinion. My apologies, sir; I'll try to clean up my act forthwith.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2018, 02:24:38 PM »

The Beatles were a great band. Still, I can't imagine anyone believing the Fab 4's music in 1963 was anywhere close to Beach Boys quality.

You really can't imagine *anyone* believing that? You really feel the Beatles' 1963 output was *that* inferior to the BBs?

I can't imagine anyone who truly knows both catalogs up and down having such an extreme view. I think anywhere but a BB message board, other well-informed fans or critics would hand the year to the Beatles. I *do* think a compelling argument can be made for the BBs, and reading such an argument is worthwhile. But I think it's beyond extreme to claim incredulity as to why someone would point to the Beatles' 1963 output being superior.

Hey Jude. I have great respect for you and always enjoy your posts, so this is in no way an attack on you.

I don't share 4th Wilson Brothers inabilty to imagine, but I do share his sentiment about quality, and extend it to the entire Beatles catalogue. I'm not trying to be hip, different,  ironic, difficult, or contrary.

I just don't like the Beatles music very much. I don't hate it. It just does nothing for me. It bores me if I'm honest. I genuinely put I Get Around, which I consider a piece of musical perfection, well above their entire catalogue.

Your seeming reaction  of utter incredulous disbelief is typical I'm afraid. A lot of Beatles fans genuinely dont get people who don't share their almost religuous devotion. Me, I couldn't care less if people hate the Beach Boys.

If I'm misreading what you appear to be saying then I apologise. I also apologise for being patronizing,  but you do need to accept the fact that their are some very musically minded people out there who don't share your love. They're not wrong, they just hear a different thing to you.

Rant over Smiley
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:33:02 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2018, 07:10:50 AM »

Hey Jude. I have great respect for you and always enjoy your posts, so this is in no way an attack on you.

I don't share 4th Wilson Brothers inabilty to imagine, but I do share his sentiment about quality, and extend it to the entire Beatles catalogue. I'm not trying to be hip, different,  ironic, difficult, or contrary.

I just don't like the Beatles music very much. I don't hate it. It just does nothing for me. It bores me if I'm honest. I genuinely put I Get Around, which I consider a piece of musical perfection, well above their entire catalogue.

Your seeming reaction  of utter incredulous disbelief is typical I'm afraid. A lot of Beatles fans genuinely dont get people who don't share their almost religuous devotion. Me, I couldn't care less if people hate the Beach Boys.

If I'm misreading what you appear to be saying then I apologise. I also apologise for being patronizing,  but you do need to accept the fact that their are some very musically minded people out there who don't share your love. They're not wrong, they just hear a different thing to you.

Rant over Smiley

Nice post, HVPIV.  And, like you, I normally enjoy HJ's posts and his obvious insight into all things musical.  I must admit, however, to being somewhat taken aback by his reaction to what I believe was an innocuous post in which I stated my preference for the BB's music circa 1963.  Did I take it a little far by stating that "I couldn't imagine" anyone believing the Beatles' songs were better during that period?  Perhaps; but I also never imagined that tiny bit of hyperbole would offend or cause anyone pain.  I was obviously wrong, so again, I apologize.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »

The 4th Wilson Bro., as you say, "I couldn't imagine" is very innocuous post. If you think that way, you musn't apologize for it. I got what you said & didn't think it was "extreme". Add hyperbole when & where you'd like to, it's not big deal. Let me send you back the compliment & tell you it was solid good post. Smiley Apologizing isn't necessary, not just for you but for everybody. Nobody must apologize; usually I find it very strange when posters do it, especially if I see the post in question is really well stated. Smiley

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2018, 03:33:34 PM »

Boy. It sure seems people are being obligated to apologize for their opinion in this thread. That's kind of weird. (in my opinion)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2018, 01:20:23 AM »

Boy. It sure seems people are being obligated to apologize for their opinion in this thread. That's kind of weird. (in my opinion)
Absolutely!

Folks, you're all entitled to your own opinions and you don't have to feel sorry about what your opinions are.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2018, 08:56:59 PM »

Absolutely!

Folks, you're all entitled to your own opinions and you don't have to feel sorry about what your opinions are.
Yes. I said it 1st in previous post.

The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2018, 01:25:58 PM »

Was I weird?  Then allow me to apologize.  Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx