gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which group did better in 1963?
The Beatles
The Beach Boys

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1963: The Beach Boys vs. The Beatles  (Read 12423 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:47:52 AM »

Lately there have been a very popular thread on PSF on which we compares the music of The Beatles and The Beach Boys year by year.

With a kind permission of the thread starter tompromisedroad, I will start the same series of thread here.

So, the first one is a battle of the stuff released in 1963...

three albums (Surfin' USA, Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe) and (then) non-album singles (Be True To Your School, Little Saint Nick)

vs. two albums (Please Please Me, With the Beatles) and non-album singles (From Me To You, She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand)

I look at 1963 as the year of the beginning of everything for both bands. The Beatles released their first album, which was either critical and commercial success (Please Please Me) and their would-be first, huge hit in the us  (I Wanna Hold Your Hand). The Beach Boys released their first (to me) classic BB album Surfer Girl, and their first big hit (Surfin' USA). u

Now, which group do you think did better in 1963? Use the poll above to vote.

Two rules I want you to follow when you vote:
base your decisions on which you personally prefer, nothing else. We aren't professional music critics (well, most of us aren't) so forget about historical significance, etc. and just vote based on which YOU personally most enjoy listening to.
consider just the released stuff at the time (in this poll, only the stuff released in 1963).

Look forward to see how the results come out Smiley

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:48:35 AM by Watamushi(Polly Poller) » Logged
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 03:23:35 AM »

This seems unfair to ask on a BB forum.  Shocked
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 05:06:38 AM »

This seems unfair to ask on a BB forum.  Shocked
True, but I've seen Beatles won or equaled the beach boys on several years (1967: http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/2091/1967-beach-boys-beatle and 1968: http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/2100/1968-beach-boys-beatles)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 05:47:04 AM »

Would In My Room count? That song charted in the US.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:47:57 AM »

Would In My Room count? That song charted in the US.
In My Room is included on Surfer Girl album, so of course it counts.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »

The Beach Boys. Brian's music had a golden quality to it compared to the Beatles who were just a beat group.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 09:53:59 AM »

The Beach Boys. Brian's music had a golden quality to it compared to the Beatles who were just a beat group.

I'll admit that Brian's compositions are amazing, but to say The Beatles are just a beat group is like saying The Beach Boys are a surf band. 
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:08:19 AM »

I was a high school sophomore in 1963. Nothing, I mean nothing could top the songs of the Beatles or the excitement that they created. And I was a huge Beach Boys fan back then.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:10:32 AM by jeffh » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 10:08:25 AM »

Read Lewisohn. As inaccurate as saying the BBs never played on their records, or that the BBs were "just a surf/car" band, etc.

Geez, it's 2018 and someone is still doing this? It's bad when I actually hope comments like this are trolling.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 10:10:28 AM »

Read Lewisohn. As inaccurate as saying the BBs never played on their records, or that the BBs were "just a surf/car" band, etc.

Geez, it's 2018 and someone is still doing this? It's bad when I actually hope comments like this are trolling.

Considering pixletwin is running the Beatles Survivor game, I was a little taken aback by that comment. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 10:13:51 AM »

1963 is a weird year to compare, especially concerning US fans, because the Beatles were hardly known in the US in 1963.

If we're going back and just comparing their recorded output during that calendar year, then the Beatles produced two far more unified, front-to-back excellent albums. The BBs albums had *great* material on them, some of which matched the Beatles. But there's also some filler as well.

More or less *every* Beatles song is celebrated as a classic, even from those early albums. McCartney could do "There's a Place" or "Chains" in concert today and the audience would still go nuts.

Nobody much has ever been waiting to hear any version of the BBs do "Stoked" again. Those early BB albums are interesting and I'm *not* dismissing the admittedly (and maybe partially accidental) groundbreaking work on those albums as part of the nascence of "garage/punk" sort of music.

But there really isn't a year where the BBs outmatch the Beatles. There are moments.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »

1963 is a weird year to compare, especially concerning US fans, because the Beatles were hardly known in the US in 1963.

If we're going back and just comparing their recorded output during that calendar year, then the Beatles produced two far more unified, front-to-back excellent albums. The BBs albums had *great* material on them, some of which matched the Beatles. But there's also some filler as well.

More or less *every* Beatles song is celebrated as a classic, even from those early albums. McCartney could do "There's a Place" or "Chains" in concert today and the audience would still go nuts.

Nobody much has ever been waiting to hear any version of the BBs do "Stoked" again. Those early BB albums are interesting and I'm *not* dismissing the admittedly (and maybe partially accidental) groundbreaking work on those albums as part of the nascence of "garage/punk" sort of music.

But there really isn't a year where the BBs outmatch the Beatles. There are moments.

For pretty much those same reasons, I voted Beatles. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 10:43:50 AM »

Geez. Not sure whose post you are referring to, but my post never inferred that the Beach Boys didn't play on their own records. Nor did I imply that the Beach Boys were just a surf/car band. I don't know where these overreactions came from, but sure has left me super confused.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 11:10:00 AM »

Geez. Not sure whose post you are referring to, but my post never inferred that the Beach Boys didn't play on their own records. Nor did I imply that the Beach Boys were just a surf/car band. I don't know where these overreactions came from, but sure has left me super confused.

Nobody is implying you said those things. My point was that saying the Beatles were "just a beat group" is *as inaccurate as saying the BBs were just a surf/car band*, etc.

Stuff like "Please Please Me" and "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold You Hand" went well beyond what typical "beat groups" were doing.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »

Nobody is implying you said those things. My point was that saying the Beatles were "just a beat group" is *as inaccurate as saying the BBs were just a surf/car band*, etc.

Stuff like "Please Please Me" and "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold You Hand" went well beyond what typical "beat groups" were doing.

I am going to have to disagree with you. It may be (and most certainly is) a simplification to classify them as such, but simplifying doesn't not equal inaccurate. On the contrary, I think both the beach boys and the Beatles of that period would have classified themselves the same way in 1963.
Da Doo Ron Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 11:54:01 AM »

Pet Sounds & Good Vibrations beats Revolver & Paperback Writer / Rain
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 01:30:49 PM »

It's a pretty even match for me. I prefer Revolver over Pet Sounds but they are my #1 and #2 favourite album of all time. Meanwhile, I prefer Good Vibrations over PW/R; but The Beatles also put out Eleanor Rigby as a single and, for me, that's quite close to GV, even though GV still wins out. Best song of the year goes to God Only Knows.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »

That's where it certainly gets really close I suppose, and of course I'm thankful I get to have both. I'd probably, both subjective and objectively, give the edge to "Revolver", and certainly "Good Vibrations", as with most BB singles, doesn't have the A/B one-two brand-new song punch that so many Beatles singles had, including PW/Rain. For whatever reason, Capitol continually stuck old album tracks from previous albums on new BB singles.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »

The Four Seasons.... Evil

J/K

The Beatles for consistency of work.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 06:21:44 PM »

I myself voted for the Beatles. Their albums and singles released in this year are extraordinarily good from the "oldies" standard, where albums weren't important.

On the other hand, Surfer Girl is the only album The BBs releaased that can be compared with those Beatles albums. The rest two albums have their highlights, but as an album they fall flat.

As for singles, however, the BBs mostly were able to catch up with the Beatles, but nothing they did this year, at least to me, could equal the brilliance of Please Please Me and I Want to Hold Your Hand.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »

Don't know what's the problem with singing praises to BBs & picking them over Beatles. Some posters here take it waaay too seriously. It's funny, generally, to see people freak out when, for example, poster A says BBs made better music, in any Beatles vs. BBs thread.

Just relax. Nobody takes away Beatles' legendary status. Sure as hell nobody will forget it due to lotsa polls, articles, reviews, charts, musicians' opinions, radio rotations...

If huge Beatles fans & objective position standers write down points about why there's no question Beatles take the cake all-round, let them do it. Can't speak for everybody but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like BBs better.

1963 favorites - Surfin' USA, "Be True To Your School", "Little Saint Nick", "I Want To Hold Your Hand" & Paul's written great rocker in debut album, "I Saw Her Standing There". Doing the math, BBs win this year.

To get back to comparison discussion, actually we must be glad that BBs can't brag with such popularity & "the bestest band" title. They're famous, cemented their place in music history but not that famous. Casual people don't hear them daily, many don't even suspect about their existence. BBs' music isn't beaten to death by exposure. It's not weary, ubiquitous, anything like that.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 09:30:40 PM »

I'm a US fan, so i had to vote Beach Boys, based on what was released here in the states that year. Introducing the Beatles may or may not have been released stateside in 63, but it didn't get noticed until 64. Aside from that, we have 3 or 4 singles on Vee Jay and Swan that nobody noticed at the time. Of course it is 2018 and i have heard all of those records, but i don't believe any of them can compare with what the Beach Boys gave us that year - 3 albums chock full of great tunes. I think the Surfin' USA album is seriously underrated. Had it on again a few nights ago, absolutely love those instrumentals. Dennis may not have been much of a drummer in the early years, but Carl and David sure could cut it on guitar. And the BB's harmonies in 63 are miles ahead of the Fab Four.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 12:36:28 AM »

Easy for me, Beach Boys, every year, every time. No comparison.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 12:01:53 PM »

I don't compare them based on popularity. If I did, then Barbra Ann would be better than You Still Believe In Me! Honestly, I think most of the Beatles songs before Rubber Soul are highly over rated. Lots of catchy songs, better on stage performers, and more press coverage. Surfer Girl was a step ahead of anyone in rocknroll musically as an album in my opinion in 1963.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »

First, great idea polling based on preference only and strictly on released material per year. It's the simplest and, IMO, fairest set up. The only issue is a few songs were released as a single in one year and then included on an album the following year. In those instances I'm not going to consider the re-release of a song (unless the initial release took place in 1962).

Second, this is tough!!! Let's review...

Both groups released approx. 34 songs in '63 (feel free to check)...

Some of my favorite '63 Beach Boys songs: Surfin' USA, Shut Down, Lonely Sea, Surfer Girl, Catch A Wave, Little Deuce Coupe, In My Room, Hawaii, Ballad of Ole' Betsy, Be True To Your School, Little Saint Nick, The Lord's Prayer. I enjoy quite a few others, a lot (I'm listening to Your Summer Dream right now - love it!).

Some of my favorite '63 Beatles songs: Please Please Me, She Loves You, I'll Get You (yup!), I Want To Hold Your Hand, This Boy, There's A Place, Baby It's You, Anna (Go To Him), Twist and Shout, It Won't Be Long, All I've Got To Do, Please Mr. Postman, You Really Got A Hold On Me, Not A Second Time, Money (That's What I Want). To keep this short, I left off some classics (bye Paul  Wink).

Can it be a tie? Whoever I listened to last is my favorite...

WallThe Beach BoysWall

By the way, there was a similar thread a few years ago if you can't get enough of this topic...
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11806.0.html

Every wave is new until it breaks.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx