gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:48:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love you instruments?  (Read 8479 times)
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2018, 06:03:42 PM »

Does anyone know what instruments were used on Love you, and who played what? Thx!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »

Piano, tack piano, organ, harpsichord, Moog bass, ARP String Ensemble, Mellotron - all played by Brian. Drums - sometimes played by Brian, sometimes played by Dennis. Electric guitar - played mostly by Carl, but also likely Ed Carter and Billy Hinsche. Horns and flutes - played by Steve Douglas and Jay Migliori. That's mostly it - along with a few miscellaneous items like chimes and accordion. That's for the new tracks - "Good Time" and "Ding Dang" were cut years earlier with more people.

EDIT - I added "organ" above, 'cause I'd forgotten to originally. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:36:54 PM by c-man » Logged
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »

Have any true instrumentals, acapellas, vocal / instruments stems ever been released either legitimate/illegitimate?
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 07:37:22 PM »

Have any true instrumentals, acapellas, vocal / instruments stems ever been released either legitimate/illegitimate?
Backing vocals of Let Us Go On This Way and a capella mix of The Night Was So Young have been released illegitimately.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:45:04 PM »

Also, there are early mix of half ouf the songs on Love You circulating- Roller Skating Child, Mona, Honkin' Down The Highway, Ding Dang, The Night Was So Young, Let's Put Our Hearts Together, I Wanna Pick You Up. The songs mostly sounds awful, and they kind of proves that how much Carl contributed as mix-down producer to make the album listenable.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:21:27 AM »

Piano, tack piano, organ, harpsichord, Moog bass, ARP String Ensemble, Mellotron - all played by Brian. Drums - sometimes played by Brian, sometimes played by Dennis. Electric guitar - played mostly by Carl, but also likely Ed Carter and Billy Hinsche. Horns and flutes - played by Steve Douglas and Jay Migliori. That's mostly it - along with a few miscellaneous items like chimes and accordion. That's for the new tracks - "Good Time" and "Ding Dang" were cut years earlier with more people.

Is there a Mellotron? Or it is a Chamberlin? In any case, where? The accordion-like sound on I wanna pick you up?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:29:31 AM »

Backing vocals of Let Us Go On This Way and a capella mix of The Night Was So Young have been released illegitimately.

Let us go on this way (backing vocals):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6308jJj3RA

The night was so young (vocals only):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UUD6hu3Yyc

Such a great album, full of classic Beach Boys harmonies  Love

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 06:35:45 AM »

While the guitar work on "Love You" is obviously pretty sparse, some of the guitar work buried in there is pretty tasty. "The Night Was So Young" has some really interesting guitar work buried under there.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 04:13:46 PM »

While the guitar work on "Love You" is obviously pretty sparse, some of the guitar work buried in there is pretty tasty. "The Night Was So Young" has some really interesting guitar work buried under there.

Thanks for the information all!! Love "The night...", it's so beautiful it feels deep down in your stomach. And listen to the clever and tasty guitar playing on "Roller..." 😀
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:16:00 PM by bsten » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 09:55:40 PM »

Is there a Mellotron? Or it is a Chamberlin? In any case, where? The accordion-like sound on I wanna pick you up?

Track sheet notations indicate accordion on "Mona" and Mellotron on "I Wanna Pick You Up". I know it's been definitively determined that they actually used a Chamberlin in the '60s, but Jon Hanlon has been quoted as saying they had a Mellotron at Brother in the '70s. Track sheet notation also indicates one was used on Dennis' "School Girl".

EDIT: sorry - to answer part of your question: yes, the accordion sound at around the 54 second mark of "I Wanna Pick You Up" is the Mellotron (thanks, Barnshine).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:00:53 AM by c-man » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 02:09:16 PM »

I would love to see a complete remix of the album  using todays technology, as well as all the songs as  stack o tracks...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »

Brian Wilson presents Love You.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »

According to wikipedia  the synt ARP Pro Solist was used on I bet his nice.

//RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 03:29:49 PM »

According to wikipedia  the synt ARP Pro Solist was used on I bet his nice.

//RD

Could be, could be...but the only notations for synths on the tracksheet are these...which would seem to indicate Moog for those chirpy little notes:
6 - Moog bass
7 - Hi Moog (use chamber)
8 - Mid Moog
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 04:19:41 AM »

I´m sure that there is no Mellotron / Chamberlain.  I´ve got one and I know all the sounds. Not one is on Love You.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:20:50 AM by Manfred » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 07:13:09 AM »

I´m sure that there is no Mellotron / Chamberlain.  I´ve got one and I know all the sounds. Not one is on Love You.

OK, well...then the track sheet is wrong! 
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »

Let us go on this way (backing vocals):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6308jJj3RA

The night was so young (vocals only):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UUD6hu3Yyc

Such a great album, full of classic Beach Boys harmonies  Love

Wow, thank you for digging these out. Wonderful stuff.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »

OK, well...then the track sheet is wrong! 

Or, as I know we all know, something can be buried deep in a mix as to be virtually undetectable (and/or it's literally muted from the finished mix).

When even seemingly sparse-sounding BB tracks are pulled apart, it's amazing what sorts of weird and previously undetectable things are in there.

Sometimes things are like Badfinger's "felt but not heard" acoustic guitars at the "Concert for Bangla Desh."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 05:49:56 AM »

You've got "one"? How did you manage to combine them?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 07:57:37 AM »

How are you so sure? It's ChamberLIN in fact Smiley

Sounds like you have a Mellotrron and may not be familiar with Chamberlins. They are much more realistic and hi-fi sounding than the Mellotron. They use completely different recordings and tapes than a Mellotron. In fact, the earliest tapes for the Mellotron violins were actually Harry Chamberlin's original tapes, a couple generations away and sent through compressors/EQ etc. (and thus they sound more lo-fi). The "orchestra through an AM radio" sound of a Mellotron is different from the superior Chamberlin sound.

I would guess/assume the boys never had an actual Mellotron and the Chamberlin was noted as "Mellotron" and/or considered a "Mellotron" by later engineers in the '70s once Mellotrons became common in the US and Chamberlins fell into obscurity. Chamberlins were essentially home-made and did not say "Chamberlin" on most of them in any noticeable way (maybe a plate/sticker on the back/underside).

The Beach Boys likely had a model 300 or 350:

http://egrefin.free.fr/images/Chamberlin/M300/ch300.jpg
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:49:36 AM by DonnyL » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 08:32:42 AM »

I'm guessing what Manfred is describing is either the Mellotron M4000D or a version of that rig...and it does have both the Chamberlin and Mellotron signature sounds combined in one rig.

https://www.mellotron.com/digital-mellotron.html

I just saw one being used on a stage this past week but haven't checked it out myself, yet. Looks like a killer rig, just a bit pricey.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »

I'm guessing what Manfred is describing is either the Mellotron M4000D or a version of that rig...and it does have both the Chamberlin and Mellotron signature sounds combined in one rig.

I just saw one being used on a stage this past week but haven't checked it out myself, yet. Looks like a killer rig, just a bit pricey.

Probably. I've personally owned one of those (it's all over the Oak of the Golden Dream album I sent you). I actually had serial #13, which I bought directly from Markus Resch and requested that number specifically ha, and also worked with him to provide some sound samples of the device when it was brand new ... this was back in 2012.

That particular Mellotron has different filters (like you can emulate different Mellotrons and speaker configurations, etc.), so I would not necessarily consider someone who is using this device as their reference an expert on how an original Chamberlin can sound ... especially when a track sheet says otherwise.

My personal opinion is the raw Chamberlin samples in the Mike Pinder Mellotron CD from many years ago sounded much cleaner than those in the digital Mellotron.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:12:52 AM by DonnyL » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »

Probably. I've personally owned one of those (it's all over the Oak of the Golden Dream album I sent you). I actually had serial #13, which I bought directly from Markus Resch and requested that number specifically ha, and also worked with him to provide some sound samples of the device when it was brand new ... this was back in 2012.

That particular Mellotron has different filters (like you can emulate different Mellotrons and speaker configurations, etc.), so I would not necessarily consider someone who is using this device as their reference an expert on how an original Chamberlin can sound ... especially when a track sheet says otherwise.

My personal opinion is the raw Chamberlin samples in the Mike Pinder Mellotron CD from many years ago sounded much cleaner than those in the digital Mellotron.

True, I just thought the poster Manfred if he does own one of these was coming from a more informed perspective than some of the replies were suggesting. Like the one about combining them, which this instrument actually does in terms of collecting the sounds in one bank - So those who own it and use it would be more knowledgeable about what those sounds are, especially since it's getting to a point where fewer and fewer musicians actually have the opportunity to play much less own one of the originals.

And thanks for the reminder about your album, I will have to give it a new spin very soon since I finally got a somewhat workable speaker and amp combo up and running before Christmas...I can go between somewhat decent Bose and JBL speakers with a somewhat decent consumer grade amp and revisit a lot of albums again for pure listening pleasure from the comfort of my living room recliner!  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 09:41:59 AM »

True, I just thought the poster Manfred if he does own one of these was coming from a more informed perspective than some of the replies were suggesting. Like the one about combining them, which this instrument actually does in terms of collecting the sounds in one bank - So those who own it and use it would be more knowledgeable about what those sounds are, especially since it's getting to a point where fewer and fewer musicians actually have the opportunity to play much less own one of the originals.

And thanks for the reminder about your album, I will have to give it a new spin very soon since I finally got a somewhat workable speaker and amp combo up and running before Christmas...I can go between somewhat decent Bose and JBL speakers with a somewhat decent consumer grade amp and revisit a lot of albums again for pure listening pleasure from the comfort of my living room recliner!  Grin

Gotcha ... no offense to this fellow Manfred, but I found it suspect that he "has one" and is very familiar with the Chamberlin, but misspelled it Smiley

Thanks for listening to my record! Yeh I just have a '66 KLH system, which suits my needs just fine.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:44:16 AM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:44 AM »

Another thing to note is:

I noticed on track sheets for Pacific Ocean Blue, it lists Mellotron and Rhythm King in places. The Rhythm King was something the group used a lot in the Sunflower/Surf's Up era, along with the RMI Rocksichord and Chamberlin. I feel like the fact that at least Dennis was still using the Rhythm King in '76-'77 suggests they held on to some of this stuff and were still actively using them.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx