gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:48:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think is the better song?
Rag Doll - 7 (63.6%)
Uptown Girl - 4 (36.4%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BotS #6: Rag Doll(Four Seasons) vs. Uptown Girl(Billy Joel)  (Read 3960 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2017, 05:50:55 PM »

Hello guys. Here's next Battle of The Songs:

Rag Doll by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons
https://open.spotify.com/track/1wjjSjkhlzTDmM3frz559j

vs. Uptown Girl by Billy Joel
https://open.spotify.com/track/5zA8vzDGqPl2AzZkEYQGKh

I heard Uptown Girl on TV commercial this morning, so here it is. Uptown Girl was apparently inspired by Rag Doll, according to Billy Joel himself.

Rag Doll is better for me. I admit I dig both songs, but the chorus is much better on Rag Doll.

Now, which do you think is better? Look forward to seeing your votes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:51:21 PM by Watamushi(Polly Poller) » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:42:41 PM »

Frankie Valli & 4 Seasons sing very well but "Rag Doll" isn't really likeable. It gets boring in the middle. "Uptown Girl" is way cooler.

Uptown Girl is okay
Just "okay"? What do you dislike about it which doesn't describe it "good" & "great"?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:36:21 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 07:12:38 PM »

I pick Rag Doll.
Uptown Girl is okay but got sick of constantly seeing the video on MTV back in the day. The video featured Billy Joel's then wife Christie Brinkley.

Rag Doll is a great song and Frankie Valli is in top form.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 10:04:23 PM »

Could be a toss up for me, so I have to give my vote to the original.
There's one line on Uptown Girl I always hear as "as well as anyone with hot foot can". I still don't know what he really says, but I still picture Fred Flintstone hopping around with a hot foot!
KDS
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 07:28:37 AM »

Going with the Piano Man.  Like I said in another battle, Im not a fan of Frankie Valli's voice.  But I love all eras of Billy Joel.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 04:40:39 PM »

As for Uptown Girl I think it is a good song. Haven't heard it in a good while  until just now since I rarely listen to the 1980s channel. Guess it's unfair to Billy Joel, but I can't get out of my head the memory of a friend of mine poking fun at Christie Brinkley's attempt at dancing on the music video. Of course there's no way my friend and I would have had the guts to attempt to dance on a video.

I have mixed feelings about Frankie Valli. Didn't care for his falsetto on Sherry.
However IMO he hit a grand slam with that wonderful falsetto at the end of Rag Doll.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:42:53 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 07:21:30 PM »

You 1st said "Uptown Girl is okay". Now you say it is good song. I'm not native English speaker but, I read in studying there's big difference between (just) "okay" & "good". No, Liz?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »

You 1st said "Uptown Girl is okay". Now you say it is good song. I'm not native English speaker but, I read in studying there's big difference between (just) "okay" & "good". No, Liz?

C'mon Marianne!* (Sorry, couldn't resist!)  Grin
I should have said Uptown Girl was "good", although "okay" could also mean "good". If I didn't think it was good I would have qualified it by saying the song was "just okay".

* one of my favorite later Four Seasons songs

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 09:25:28 AM »

I see. Thank you, Liz. Smiley

* one of my favorite later Four Seasons songs
Can't stand it. Tongue

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 07:01:26 AM »

I came to appreciate Billy Joel when a keyboard pupil I had in the '80s gave me a tape of BJ's stuff (his then-new girlfriend was a big fan). Some good things on there (most notably "Captain Jack").

"Uptown Girl" is an excellent song but "Rag Doll" gets my vote. It's always been one of my favourite Seasons songs...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 07:46:56 AM »

I came to appreciate Billy Joel when a keyboard pupil I had in the '80s gave me a tape of BJ's stuff (his then-new girlfriend was a big fan). Some good things on there (most notably "Captain Jack").

"Uptown Girl" is an excellent song but "Rag Doll" gets my vote. It's always been one of my favourite Seasons songs...   

Captain Jack is such a great song.  I'm not sure why it doesn't get the acclaim that some of Billy's other songs get. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »

Captain Jack is such a great song.  I'm not sure why it doesn't get the acclaim that some of Billy's other songs get. 

Well, let's give it a spin. This is the fantastic version on my tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qwhbNrkDXM

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 05:51:12 AM »

Well, let's give it a spin. This is the fantastic version on my tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qwhbNrkDXM

It's a pity that it's not a mainstay in all of Billy's setlists, but when you have as many great songs as he does.......I think a combination of the song's length and the "masturbate" lyric probably contribute to the song not being as popular as some of his others.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:08:13 PM »

Thanks to this thread I decided to revisit Billy Joel. I'm a casual fan, don't have any of his records, but last night I listened to his Greatest Hits and was amazed at how many good and great songs he had.
One of them came on yesterday while I was shopping at a grocery store. The Supervisor in the Produce section was chewing out a young employee for talking when he should have been working. The guy said that he was on lunch break, the super said if that was the case he needed to leave until his break was over. The BJ song played as this was going on. At the climatic moment I nearly shouted with Mr. Joel - "PRESSURE!!"

KDS
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »

Thanks to this thread I decided to revisit Billy Joel. I'm a casual fan, don't have any of his records, but last night I listened to his Greatest Hits and was amazed at how many good and great songs he had.
One of them came on yesterday while I was shopping at a grocery store. The Supervisor in the Produce section was chewing out a young employee for talking when he should have been working. The guy said that he was on lunch break, the super said if that was the case he needed to leave until his break was over. The BJ song played as this was going on. At the climatic moment I nearly shouted with Mr. Joel - "PRESSURE!!"

That's pretty funny.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx