gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:40:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you were to make a 1CD career-spanning BB best of...  (Read 7749 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2018, 05:13:35 AM »

I always feel that there are almost zero nice 1CD best album of BB that covers the entire career. Taking a look at some albums, you'll find Sound of Summer ignores Sunflower-Holland era, which is, to me, one of the most significant era of the BBs. On the other hand, Classics Selected By Brian Wilson doesn't have any song from 15 Big Ones onward as if there is no classic from that point.  Warms of the Sun covers 1962(409) to 1986(California Dreamin'), but it have only one song from Sunflower, which is one of the most important BB albums, while having a lot from entirely lesser (even though partly better) Surf's Up. So, I think there's still no career-spanning 1CD compilation of BBs that sums up their career well.

So, I decided to make one - and have struggled with it for quite a while:

The Best of The Beach Boys 1963-2012

1. Surfin' USA
2. Surfer Girl
3. Little Deuce Coupe
4. Fun, Fun, Fun
5. Don't Worry Baby
6.  I Get Around
7. Kiss Me, Baby
8. Dance, Dance, Dance
9. Help Me, Rhonda
10. California Girls
11. Sloop John B
12. Wouldn't It Be Nice
13. God Only Knows
14. Good Vibrations
15. Darlin'
16. Busy Doin' Nothin'
17. I Can Hear Music
18. Break Away
19. Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song) -Al's major (and somehow pretty forgotten) production
20. This Whole World
21. Forever -Dennis' major composition
22. Disney Girls -Bruce's major composition
23. Long Promised Road -Carl's major composition
24. Surf's Up
25. Sail On, Sailor
26. The Night Was So Young -I think this is the most popular song from the album
27. Kokomo -Mike's major co-composition
28. That's Why God Made The Radio

There are some points I did with this one:
・Include at least singe composition/production from each member
・Basically one or two songs per album except Pet Sounds(you know why) and Surf's Up(three significant tracks)

And ones that I wanted to add but wasn't able to...
・In My Room
・The Warmth of the Sun
・When I Grow Up
・I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
・H&V
・Do It Again
・Slip On Through
・All This Is That
・Had to Phone Ya
・Lady Lynda (Probably instead of Cotton Fields)
・Getcha Back

Now, Does anybody have some feedback/other ideas for the definitive 1CD BB best ofs? What if you were to make a 1CD career-spanning best album of The Beach Boys?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:19:36 AM by Watamushi(Polly Poller) » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 05:40:03 AM »

It's darn near impossible to do a single disc collection. 

I like your list though I'd put Warmth of the Sun and In My Room instead of Busy Doin Nothin and The Night Was So Young. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 05:42:23 AM »

I feel like, for every “best of compilation, deciding the songs after “Good Vibrations” is a really hard task. My thoughts:

- glad you used “I Can Hear Music” instead of “Do It Again” to represent the 20/20 era. I feel like the former does such an amazing job at encapsulating what made The Beach Boys so great. It’s got Carl’s amazing lead, killer background vocals, and a really rhythmic and chill backing track. It’s a track more likely to make people interested in the latter years than “Do It Again”, IMO.

- I would ditch “Disney Girls” and instead add “Getcha Back” later in the list. This messes up your “one composition by each member” idea, but I feel like “Getcha Back” really deserves to be on the list, precisely because it represents the BB85 album (which I find to be one of their most underrated albums)...and because I don’t think “Disney Girls” is all that great (though I do enjoy hearing it on the Surfs Up album). That being said, I understand you have to have a song composed by Bruce so this won’t fly.

Looking forward to seeing what other people say about this topic.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:04:06 AM »

I feel like, for every “best of compilation, deciding the songs after “Good Vibrations” is a really hard task. My thoughts:

- glad you used “I Can Hear Music” instead of “Do It Again” to represent the 20/20 era. I feel like the former does such an amazing job at encapsulating what made The Beach Boys so great. It’s got Carl’s amazing lead, killer background vocals, and a really rhythmic and chill backing track. It’s a track more likely to make people interested in the latter years than “Do It Again”, IMO.

- I would ditch “Disney Girls” and instead add “Getcha Back” later in the list. This messes up your “one composition by each member” idea, but I feel like “Getcha Back” really deserves to be on the list, precisely because it represents the BB85 album (which I find to be one of their most underrated albums)...and because I don’t think “Disney Girls” is all that great (though I do enjoy hearing it on the Surfs Up album). That being said, I understand you have to have a song composed by Bruce so this won’t fly.

How about switching Busy Doin' Nothin' and Disney with Friends and Deirdre, then add Getcha Back and eliminate Little Deuce Coupe (for Surfer Girl album is already represented by the title track)? This way you can add something that represents BB85 while keeping Bruce's track.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:22 AM »

How about switching Busy Doin' Nothin' and Disney with Friends and Deirdre, then add Getcha Back and eliminate Little Deuce Coupe (for Surfer Girl album is already represented by the title track)? This way you can add something that represents BB85 while keeping Bruce's track.

That’s a good compromise! But it’s your compilation list so you should definitely keep your original or whatever you like best.

Deidre is one of my favorite beach boys tracks, those flutes and the chorus, it’s just one of the most perfect songs from that era.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:10:14 AM »

Good idea! Personally I wouldn't be too fussed about including songs by all members as there is only so much space. Mine isn't too different but it is my attempt to give a list of tracks that is representative of the entire career.

1. Surfin' USA
2. Surfer Girl
3. Little Deuce Coupe
4. In My Room
5. Fun, Fun, Fun
6. The Warmth of the Sun
7. I Get Around
8. Don't Worry Baby
9. When I Grow Up
10. Help Me, Rhonda
11. California Girls
12. Sloop John B
13. Wouldn't It Be Nice
14. God Only Knows
15. Good Vibrations
16. Heroes and Villains (the Smile mix from the SS/WH 2-fer)
17. Darlin'
18. Time To Get Alone
19. I Can Hear Music
20. Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)
21. Forever
22. Surf's Up
23. Sail On, Sailor
24. The Night Was So Young
25. Good Timin'
26. Getcha Back
27. Kokomo
28. That's Why God Made The Radio
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »

They have far too many albums, and too many hits coupled with too many "key" tracks, to really make a career-spanning single-disc collection that doesn't ignore a huge hunk of their career.

So as far as I'm concerned, "Sounds of Summer" or "Endless Summer" or even "Greatest Hits Vol. 1" serve a good enough purpose, and after that we really have to tread into 2-CD territory to really start serving *both* main purposes of compilations: To include hits and well-known tracks, and be a decent survey of a band's *entire* career.

Otherwise, arbitrary rules have to start being used. For instance, "GH Vol. 3: Best of the Brother Years" set out to include the single release attached to each album. Because this only focused on 1970-1986, there was still room to include some key album tracks as well. But it also meant including "Honkin' Down the Highway" and "Peggy Sue" while not including, say, "All This Is That" or "The Night Was So Young" (or fill in the name of a few strong songs that might be more substantive than something like "Peggy Sue", which I don't dislike).  

While, depending on the mood, I sometimes enjoy programming compilation ideas, I remain a bit baffled as to why hardcore fans are super fascinated with them. Casual fans are served more than well enough by what's out there on the market, and if you're a hardcore fan and you're trying to get someone you know "into" the band, you're probably going to make them your own custom compilation (or point them to Spotify playlists, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I've caught myself saying "Hey, why is 'Solar System' on this compilation instead of 'Santa Ana Winds'" (random example), and then I realize that I have all of these albums (most several times over), and no casual fan is going to live or die by buying "Made in California" and having "Had to Phone Ya" but not "Somewhere Near Japan" or "Where I Belong."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 07:21:56 AM »

Pretty good selections, but I would add All This Is That, and a persona favorite of mine that's often overlooked, Where I belong from Beach Boys 85. Vocals are shimmerring on that one, especially Carl and Al.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 07:27:33 AM »

While, depending on the mood, I sometimes enjoy programming compilation ideas, I remain a bit baffled as to why hardcore fans are super fascinated with them.

Oh to be blessed with not having OCD.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 07:42:26 AM »

This is the one disc I would use to summarize The Beach Boys career, and to get someone into the band.

1. Surfin USA
2. Surfer Girl
3. I Get Around
4. Little Honda
5. The Warmth Of The Sun
6. Do You Wanna Dance?
7. Kiss Me, Baby
8. Don't Worry Baby
9. California Girls
10. Help Me, Rhonda
11. Barbara Ann
12. Wouldn't It Be Nice
13. Here Today
14. God Only Knows
15. Good Vibrations
13. Heroes And Villains
14. Cabinessence
15. Surf's Up
16. Wild Honey
17. Aren't You Glad
18. Darlin'
19. Friends
20. Time To Get Alone
21. All I Wanna Do
22. Deirdre
23. Forever
24. Sail On Sailor
25. The Night Was So Young
26. Getcha Back
27. Kokomo
28. Summer's Gone

Things I wish I could have put in:
Please Let Me Wonder, Cottonfields, Sloop John B, Little Deuce Coupe, Strange Things Happen, Caroline No
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »

I always feel that the group's later work is overlooked in compilations, which is one reason a 1 CD package is impossible.  I would try to include the following:

Good Timin
Getcha Back
Kokomo
SNJ
Live SIP from Wembley
TWGMTR
PCH/Summer's Gone

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:08:36 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 10:02:41 AM »

Tried doing a pure "best of" comp, but impossible without including several hits...

Ok here goes:

The warmth of the sun
In the back of my mind
California girls
Wouldn't it be nice
That's not me
God only knows
I just wasn't made for these times
Good vibrations
Heroes and villains
Vegetables
Let the wind blow
Little Bird
Be with me
Time to get alone
Cabinessence
This whole world
Our sweet Love
Cool cool water
Long promised road
Disney girls (1957)
Feel flows
Til I die
Surf's up
You need a mess of help to stand alone
All this is that
Cuddle up
Sail in sailor
Lady Lynda
Love surrounds me

Surfin' USA
In my room
Please let me wonder
Busy doin' nothin'
Slip on through
Had to phone ya
The night was so young
My Diane
Match point of our love
I'm so lonely

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 10:58:05 AM »

Endless summer and PS are still the best way to start a 1CD collection.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »

Interesting that your write this SMiLE Brian, because a few weeks ago I thought about starting a thread talking about how great the track selection on Endless Summer was. If you could squeeze "Please Let Me Wonder" and "Lonely Sea" onto there, I think it would make a nearly perfect overview of their '62 thru '65 era.

Also, I would say that a great trio of purchases would be Pet Sounds, Endless Summer and Classics selected by Brian Wilson. Having all these titles in one's collection what give you Brian's best album, a large chunk of their greatest early work, and then later classics like "Heroes And Villains", "Surf's Up", "'Til I Die", "This Whole World" and others. However, only having those three discs also means you miss out on some of my very favorites like "Please Let Me Wonder", "Good Timin'" and "Cool, Cool Water" so I suppose ultimately things always get tricky.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »

I forgot about the Classics album, that one's BW deep cuts are perfect for a general audience. Endless Summer was just genius in the way it trimmed the "fat" of BBs filler tracks on previous Capitol GHs releases. (No Mike, it wasn't your concept album) Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »

Interesting that your write this SMiLE Brian, because a few weeks ago I thought about starting a thread talking about how great the track selection on Endless Summer was. If you could squeeze "Please Let Me Wonder" and "Lonely Sea" onto there, I think it would make a nearly perfect overview of their '62 thru '65 era.

Also, I would say that a great trio of purchases would be Pet Sounds, Endless Summer and Classics selected by Brian Wilson. Having all these titles in one's collection what give you Brian's best album, a large chunk of their greatest early work, and then later classics like "Heroes And Villains", "Surf's Up", "'Til I Die", "This Whole World" and others. However, only having those three discs also means you miss out on some of my very favorites like "Please Let Me Wonder", "Good Timin'" and "Cool, Cool Water" so I suppose ultimately things always get tricky.

I'd say Sounds of Summer, Warmth of the Sun, and Pet Sounds. 
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 12:13:46 PM »

What about a single disc of our personal favorites?

1. All I Wanna Do
2. Here Today
3. Lady Lynda
4. Deidre
5. Surfin USA
6. California Girls
7. Aren't You Glad
8. The Warmth Of The Sun
9. Little Honda
10. Kiss Me Baby
11. Fun, Fun, Fun
12. God Only Knows
13. Time To Get Alone
14. Do It Again
15. Big Sur (4/4)
16. Forever
17. Til I Die
18. Surf's Up
19. Here She Comes
20. Strange Things Happen
21. It's Over Now
22. The Night Was So Young
23. Lady Lynda
24. Good Timin
25. Let The Wind Blow
26. All This Is That
27. You're Still A Mystery
28. Good Vibrations
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:14:20 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 02:39:14 PM »

So...There has to be what?  Something representing of all the 'boys'?  Why?  At least 1 song from every album?  Except for Surfin' Safari and SMiLE?  Ya ya...I know the songs you picked from 20/20 and Surf's Up cover SMiLE.  But really?  Not so much.

So let's see...I'm gonna do this with NO rules...except for 1.  You can fit 79.57 worth of music onto a standard cd....you know...with CD quality wave files.  I'll do my best to cover the  whole span but I'm not giving it equal representation because the body of work doesn't deserve to be  restricted by the inclusion of sub-par entries.  I DO appreciate Best of the Beach Boys over Greatest hits because their BEST SONGS were often NOT the 'hits'.  So...Here goes.  

Wait a second.  NO GOOD.  I have greatest hits/best of CDs here in my house which are 2 disc sets.  The WHO, the Moody Blues, the Doors, Pink Floyd...heck YES is a 3 disc set.  No.  I think we can all agree that the 'boys' deserve to at least be equal in terms of coverage to these other fellas.  So I'm going with a 2 discs in one jewel case release just like the Bee Gees or Grand Funk...or the Stones [who cheated and used a box]

The Beach Boys Were GREAT  Disc 1.

1.  409
2.  Surfin' U.S.A.
3.  Farmer's Daughter
4.  Catch a Wave
5.  In My Room
6.  Ballad of Ol' Betsy
7.  No-Go Showboat
8.  Fun Fun Fun
9.  Warmth of the Sun
10.  Don't Worry Baby
11.  Keep An Eye On Summer
12.  I Get Around
13.  All Summer Long
14.  Hushabye
15.  Little St. Nick [the tinkley bell version]
16.  Don't Hurt My Little Sister
17.  Please Let Me Wonder
18.  Kiss Me Baby
19.  California Girls,
20.  Let Him Run Wild
21.  Salt Lake City
22.  Sloop John B.
23.  God Only Knows
24.  Wouldn't It Be Nice
25.  Don't Talk, Put Your Head on my Shoulder
26.  I Know There's an Answer
27.  Good Vibrations
28.  Wind Chimes  [SMiLE version]
29.  Heroes and Villains [Smile version with Gee intro]
30.  Cabinessence [SMiLE]
31.  Surf's Up [SMiLE]  

That's it....Times up for disc 1.

The Beach Boys Were Great  Disc 2.

1.  Wild Honey
2.  Country Air
3.  Here Comes the Night
4.  Let The Wind Blow
5.  Meant For You/Friends
6.  Little Bird
7.  Busy Doin' Nothing
8.  I Can Hear Music
9.  I Went to Sleep
10.  Time to Get Alone
11.  Our Prayer
12.  It's About Time
13.  Add Some Music To Your Day
14.  This Whole World
15.  Our Sweet Love
16.  Forever
17.  'Til I Die
18.  Feel Flows
19.  River Song [actually recorded in 1971...separate from the rest of Pacific Ocean Blue]
20.  All This is That
21.  Sail On Sailor
22.  Only With You
23.  Had to Phone Ya
24.  Pitter Patter
25.  Good Timin'
26.  Sunshine
27.  Pacific Coast Highway/Summers Gone.

That's it.  Time's up.  The 2 discs are full.  No Kokomo.  Brian wanted to sing on it.  No?  O.K.  THAT wasn't really the Beach Boys then...now was it?  Besides...it's on every dime a dozen greatest hit pack the inquiring mind already has.  THIS one was for people who wanted to do more than merely scratch the surface.  Although some of their hits are all time classic greats and they bear repeating on THIS 2 disc set.  After 1973?  Money ruled.  Artistry took a back seat.  Choices became limited...by the limit of the self-appointed leader's creativity.  The proof is easy to  hear...here.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:48:28 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 03:55:28 PM »

NateRuvin, which version of It's Over Now would you include on your personal favorites disc? Good Vibrations: 30 Years of the Beach Boys, Made in California, or the IJWMFTT demo? Also, you included Lady Lynda twice...

Add Some, 2 discs and still no Help Me, Rhonda? Did it even come close? I like that you included Little Saint Nick, though. Generally speaking, I think people are unnecessarily reluctant to include seasonal songs on compilations.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »

I agree Endless Summer is nice collection, but I have to disagree about Pet Sounds. Pet Sounds, as far as I know, is the worse, if not the worst, way to be introduced to the Beach Boys discography. It's a great album, but there are two reasons why I think it's inappropriate for non-fans to get started:

1. You need to get a certain context behind Pet Sounds to understand the album. In spite of its static presence on "all-time greatest albums" lists by rock magazine, the sound of Pet Sounds, at the first listen, never sounds like rock, and sounds way too complicated for non-fans to enjoy it immediately. The word "immediately" is important, since unless they soon will learn to enjoy the album, they would eventually find it "boring" with only several listens and give up on it. IMO, All Summer Long, Today, Summer Days and Sunflower all would be better starter.

2. In case the person you recommended BB liked/loved Pet Sounds, then the problem is that what they choose next - get back to the first album, or move on to the next album. Big No. Both Surfin' Safari and Smiley Smile is not a good starter for those who "only" love PS, and I think you already know why. Probably the last proper album, Summer Days would work for them, but even with that album I can see some fail to get it.

So, if you want to introduce someone to the BB with one comp and one original albums, either Endless Summer or Sound of Summer, and either All Summer Long and Sunflower are the good choices, in my opinion. 
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 04:59:20 PM »

So...There has to be what?  Something representing of all the 'boys'?  Why?  At least 1 song from every album?  Except for Surfin' Safari and SMiLE?  Ya ya...I know the songs you picked from 20/20 and Surf's Up cover SMiLE.  But really?  Not so much.

So let's see...I'm gonna do this with NO rules...except for 1.  You can fit 79.57 worth of music onto a standard cd....you know...with CD quality wave files.  I'll do my best to cover the  whole span but I'm not giving it equal representation because the body of work doesn't deserve to be  restricted by the inclusion of sub-par entries.  I DO appreciate Best of the Beach Boys over Greatest hits because their BEST SONGS were often NOT the 'hits'.  So...Here goes.  

Wait a second.  NO GOOD.  I have greatest hits/best of CDs here in my house which are 2 disc sets.  The WHO, the Moody Blues, the Doors, Pink Floyd...heck YES is a 3 disc set.  No.  I think we can all agree that the 'boys' deserve to at least be equal in terms of coverage to these other fellas.  So I'm going with a 2 discs in one jewel case release just like the Bee Gees or Grand Funk...or the Stones [who cheated and used a box]
You're probably right. 2CD chronological ordered best of like yours will be greatly appreciated. I like your selection, but I decided to make one:

The Ultimate Best of The Beach Boys

Disc 1
1. Surfin' USA
2. Surfer Girl
3. Little Deuce Coupe
4. In My Room
5. Be True To Your School
6. Fun, Fun, Fun
7. Don't Worry Baby
8. The Warmth of the Sun
9. I Get Around
10. Wendy
11. Dance, Dance, Dance
12. When I Grow Up
13. Kiss Me, Baby
14. Do You Wanna Dance
15. Help Me, Rhonda
16. California Girls
17. Let Him Run Wild
18. Sloop John B
19. The Little Girl I Once Knew
20. Wouldn't It Be Nice
21. God Only Knows
22. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
23. Caroline, No
24. Good Vibrations
25. Heroes And Villains
26. With Me Tonight
27. Darlin'
28. Friends
29. Busy Doin' Nothin'
30. Do It Again
31. I Can Hear Music

Disc 2
1. Break Away
2. Cotton Fields
3. Soulful Old Man Sunshine
4. This Whole World
5. Deirdre
6. All I Wanna Do
7. Forever
8. Disney Girls
9. Long Promised Road
10. 'Til I Die
11. Surf's Up
12. (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again
13. All This Is That
14. Sail On, Sailor
15. The Trader
16. It's OK
17. The Night Was So Young
18. My Diane
19. Still I Dream of It
20. Lady Lynda
21. Goin' On
22. Getcha Back
23. Kokomo
24. That's Why God Made The Radio

I think this is more than great for those who're willing to listen to the BB's.
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »

IMO the best introduction you could give someone to the Beach Boys is via the Endless Summer and Spirit of America compilations. They cover so much ground and, IMO, give the listener more than enough context to proceed to Pet Sounds, Smile, and eventually the late Capitol era and Brother era material. The Beach Boys are probably easiest to digest and understand if you listen chronologically.

Here's my track listing of the most objective best-of compilation I can think of, without imparting too much of my own personal taste:

1. Surfin' USA
2. Surfer Girl
3. Little Deuce Coupe
4. In My Room
5. Fun, Fun, Fun
6. The Warmth of the Sun
7. I Get Around
8. Don't Worry  Baby
9. Please Let Me Wonder
10. Dance, Dance, Dance
11. Little Saint Nick (possibly swap with Good To My Baby)
12. Help Me Rhonda
13. California Girls
14. Wouldn't It Be Nice
15. God Only Knows
16. Good Vibrations
17. Heroes and Villains (Cantina version)
18. Cabin Essence (Smile mono mix)
19. Surf's Up (Surf's Up album mix with Carl lead)
20. Wild Honey
21. Darlin'
22. Friends
23. I Can Hear Music
24. Forever
25. Long Promised Road
26. Til I Die
27. Sail On Sailor
28. The Night Was So Young
29. Kokomo

Here's my single disc "personal favorites" mix:

1. Surfer Girl
2. The Warmth of the Sun
3. Don't Worry Baby
4. Good to My Baby
5. Please Let Me Wonder
6. Kiss Me Baby
7. Help Me Rhonda
8. California Girls
9. Wouldn't It Be Nice
10. God Only Knows
11. Good Vibrations
12. Heroes and Villains (Cantina version)
13. Cabin Essence (Smile mono mix)
14. Wonderful
15. Surf's Up (Carl lead mix)
16. Darlin'
17. I'd Love Just Once To See You
18. Here Comes The Night
19. I Can Hear Music
20. Slip On Through
21. Forever
22. Long Promised Road
23. Day in the Life of a Tree
24. Til I Die
25. Let Us Go On This Way
26. Honkin' Down the Highway
27. The Night Was So Young
28. It's Over Now (2012 mix)
29. My Diane (single track vocal/"demo")
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:19:13 PM by Uncle Walter » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »

Watamushi, Still I Dream Of It, nice  Smiley

I was just listening to the studio version earlier today and it's far better than I remember. There's no reason it shouldn't have been released at the time. Leaving it off MIU and LA was a mistake. I could even hear it on Keeping the Summer Alive if a Bambu track or two joined it. I don't even think it was considered for Ten Years of Harmony. Some minor touching up would have been all it needed, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:22:04 PM by B.E. » Logged

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 05:31:15 PM »

I was just listening to the studio version earlier today and it's far better than I remember. There's no reason it shouldn't have been released at the time. Leaving it off MIU and LA was a mistake. I could even hear it on Keeping the Summer Alive if a Bambu track or two joined it. I don't even think it was considered for Ten Years of Harmony. Some minor touching up would have been all it needed, IMO.
Yeah, Still I Dream of It really should have been released while it was a new track. And I think it could've been more than awesome to see Frank Sinatra sing it.

As for what were considered or not for Ten Years of Harmony, petsite posted a detailed document on it a little while ago on PSF: 
http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/2040/all-newer-fans
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »

Yeah, Still I Dream of It really should have been released while it was a new track. And I think it could've been more than awesome to see Frank Sinatra sing it.

As for what were considered or not for Ten Years of Harmony, petsite posted a detailed document on it a little while ago on PSF: 
http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/2040/all-newer-fans

Yeah, that write-up is what I was thinking back to. I still don't get Carl's position on the photo and Bruce.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx