gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:37:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ALBUM SLEEVES PROJECT - Updated Editions...  (Read 2434 times)
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »

Should anybody feel so inclined or interested...  Roll Eyes
THE BEACH BOYS ALBUM SLEEVES PROJECT
“Back Through The Opera Glass”
UPDATED EDITIONS NOW AVAILABLE !

PART ONE: https://www.sendspace.com/file/d25gr9

PART TWO: https://www.sendspace.com/file/we6lo4

PART THREE: https://www.sendspace.com/file/xxochx

Updated for 2018 with a few additional photographs and corrected text as and where needed…
DOWNLOAD YOUR COPIES TODAY … FOR FREE !
Over 400 pages in total, ideally designed for reading on an iPad or a similar device (or your home PC), you can now read the FULL STORY of every album sleeve, from 'Surfin' Safari' up to, and including 'That's Why God Made The Radio'!
A MUST-HAVE FOR ALL BEACH BOYS COLLECTORS!

Disclaimer: The three above links are currently downloadable via Sendspace and I accept no responsibility if the incorrect link is opened and/or the download is incompatible with your own device. It works fine at this end!

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »

That is awesome, thank you so much.
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »

Fantastic stuff!
MaestroDavros
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 12:53:04 PM »

Wonderful work. Great job!

One observation I had was in regards to the worm on the Smiley Smile cover. Back when the album was being made (and indeed, throughout most of the 60's) cover slicks were usually produced to be longer vertically than horizontally. This was because of the need to have both mono and stereo covers, and in an effort to save costs companies like Capitol and, in this case, Brother would put their stereo (or, if necessary, whatever fake stereo process was being used) identifier at the top of the slick, so that they could crop it one way for stereo pressings, at the cost of losing part of the bottom, and for mono crop it another, so that the stereo designation could be hidden, at the cost of losing part of the top where it was. Smiley Smile was no exception.

With regards to reissues, they always seem to crop things differently each time, leading to varying results; some like the mono, some like the stereo, and some like the 1994 CD which is a weird in-between where they cropped it so that it has both the "For Stereo Phonographs" AND the worm.  Shocked ) So these days whether the worm is on the cover or not is dependent on who's on the job that day and/or which version they're referencing.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:30:33 PM »

How do I use this site without getting computer AIDS?
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »

How do I use this site without getting computer AIDS?

You can always PM me and I can sort out something...

and a note to everyone else... thanks for the support on this project ! Much appreciated !
 Cheesy

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 03:05:48 PM »

Malcolm thank you so much for these updates. They are the perfect thing to dip into on the iPad.

I've read the previous ones cover-to-cover dozens of times, these belong on the uppermost plateau of BBs books and research.

Smokin

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx