gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:14:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Session work with Roy Wood  (Read 5011 times)
Marc
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2017, 06:49:02 AM »

Hello,

I am a big Roy Wood fan. As you might know Roy worked with the Beach
Boys in 1975 on "It's OK" plus at least one more still unreleased track
called "Honeycomb".

I do have heard another track called "Teresa" which sounds like at least one
of the Beach Boys guys is singing along with Roy. Is there anything
known about a Roy Wood / Beach Boys (or members) collaboration on a
track called "Teresa" or is it just my mind playing tricks?

Marc
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:55:40 AM »

I asked Roy about his work with the Beach Boys back it the 70's. He said "Honeycomb" wasn't very good and that Brian Wilson was very talented and very strange!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:56:18 AM by astroray » Logged

Cook pork throughly
Marc
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »

Hi,

at what occasion where you able to speak to Roy? (Just curious). Funny he says that Brian was strange. Most people thought this of Roy too in the early 70's I think...

How many tracks are know to have been recorded with Roy? Just It's o.k. and Honeycomb? I thought there was at least one other track...
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »

Where can Teresa be heard?
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »

I saw this recently on Roy's site...

http://www.roywood.co.uk/band/roy-sings-with-beach-boys.html

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:36:01 PM »

Many moons ago when he toured with WIZZARD and came thru Atlanta is when I chatted the boy up! Got my picture with him, when anyone asks "Who's he"? I tell em he is the guy who founded ELO! The MOVE gets no response!

Cook pork throughly
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 11:29:33 PM »

Hi,

Funny he said that Brian was strange. Most people thought this of Roy too in the early 70's I think...

Brian could outstrange the strangest. Iggy and Alice spring to mind
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »

Whether one thinks of it as a badge of honor or a sad fact, or something in between, Brian is second to none when it comes to disarming other eccentric music-business personalities. Many have tried to be the most eccentric person in the room with Brian present (Elvis Costello supposedly among them), and Brian is on a whole other level, to the degree that it has supposedly thrown some super-eccentric people off (and not just the oft-told story of Iggy and Alice).

I have little doubt that part of Jeff Beck's (unprofessionally publically aired) beef with the Brian collaboration/tour was that he was another in a line of temperamental, eccentric people who were out of their league in that department when dealing with Brian.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:33:25 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 01:51:17 AM »

Hey Jude....TOUCHE.....probably the best retorts I've READ on this blog, as to  the decline of the BW/JB Tour.  Who knows what went on behind the scenes but I'll never forget these Beck fans (with their JB albums to be signed) in total disbelief at the Akron Ohio concert when Jeff decided not to show up for the meet and greet.  So 3 years later in Seattle, the same young lady running the meet n greet in Akron  is running the Meet n Greet  in Seattle.  So I ask her, do you remember JB not showing up for the Meet n Greet  in Akron when JB decided not to show.   She laughed saying that was my WORST  night  EVER working for this tour. !!!!    Anyway.......this split was ugly behind the scenes, though that concert in Akron ended up being fantastic.  Professionals  are able to gloss over the issues and perform, which eventually led to JB playing Surf's Up (solo)...not much better in the BB cover world than this !!!!!!!!!  (even with BW 25 feet away doing the backing vocals)     ....Just maybe one of the best BB-ish concerts I've ever seen....
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 12:59:46 PM »

I asked Roy about his work with the Beach Boys back it the 70's. He said "Honeycomb" wasn't very good and that Brian Wilson was very talented and very strange!

So I'm curious, I always enjoyed Roy Wood, as well.  A friend of mine many, MANY years ago said that she noticed that he was rehearsing with the monitor blasting at his feet and noticed that he nodded a lot and said nearly nothing in personal encounters.  At the time she thought he was one of those artists losing his hearing from the shows (she knew EVERYBODY and made several acts stars when she booked at Madame Wong's and more).  It sounds like (happily) she was mistaken?  Or did he seem to possibly not always hear you in his responses?  When people can't hear well, their responses can be odd (my conversations with my husband often become comedy routines, because of his hearing loss.).

That might also make Roy not interact well with Brian, if so.  If Brian wasn't in a patient mood, he might have resorted to "strange."  He does it so well when it works for him ;-)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »

BW from 1971-1974 is an interesting era.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »

No one else may agree, but I put Brian above all others, Beatles included! He delivered the goods better than anyone, and other music  makers can just stand there with their mouths open!
Strange is not strange to him, its normal! God Bless him!

Cook pork throughly
Marc
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 12:17:06 AM »

Hi guys,

while it's quite interesting what most of you say, I believe it's gone a bit off the topic.

Someone guessed that Carl is singing on Teresa. Any Carl Wilson experts in this forum?

Marc
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 07:03:51 AM »

Hi guys,

while it's quite interesting what most of you say, I believe it's gone a bit off the topic.

Someone guessed that Carl is singing on Teresa. Any Carl Wilson experts in this forum?

Marc

Nobody seems to have heard of this track. Someone early in the thread asked where the track can be heard. Do you have a link to the song?

When was it released? Was it released?

I dig Roy Wood, but I'm not a super fan and don't own all of his work. A very quick skim through Wiki doesn't show a track called "Teresa" on one of his albums, but I may have missed it.

Listening to the song wouldn't necessarily definitively tell us if Carl is on the song, but it would be a good place to start. Also, if you know when and where the song was recorded, that might help us figure out if logistically it's possible that Carl or any other BBs were involved.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:05:43 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marc
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 07:30:21 AM »

Hello,

no, the song's unreleased and no further info is given. It was definately not released. I know for sure as I'm a Roy Wood collector.

I'd preferer to mail you directly with further details, so please let me have your e-mail.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »

I've heard this track, but while the vocal sounds a little "Carl-esque," it doesn't sound like Carl himself to me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:23:59 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 09:42:33 PM »

Copied from Steve Hoffman forum :  I was reliably informed that while BRI has the material Roy and some other members of Wizzard recorded with Brian Wilson during his so-called "Bedroom Tapes" era in their archive, they couldn't put any of this on the Made In California retrospective or later packages as a result of a certain musician involved with these sessions being embarrassed by the results of the high profile collaborations, since he expected a lot more from the time spent with someone regarded a personal musical hero.

Cook pork throughly
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 02:56:12 AM »

Anyone noticed there's a short section in Roy Wood's 'Forever' that sounds almost note for note like part of the Night Blooming Jasmine section in Brian's Rio Grande?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »

Copied from Steve Hoffman forum :  I was reliably informed that while BRI has the material Roy and some other members of Wizzard recorded with Brian Wilson during his so-called "Bedroom Tapes" era in their archive, they couldn't put any of this on the Made In California retrospective or later packages as a result of a certain musician involved with these sessions being embarrassed by the results of the high profile collaborations, since he expected a lot more from the time spent with someone regarded a personal musical hero.

Roy has in general been opposed to releasing old outtakes of material with the Move, ELO, Wizzard and solo projects, to the frustration of record companies who know that fans would love to hear some of these things. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx