gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:26:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The very last time certain instruments were played on BB tracks?  (Read 12893 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 11:27:24 AM »

I think that part of Strange World is either an electric piano (like rhodes or wurlie) with the highs taken out. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a synth, considering we known Joe Thomas has no problem with synths!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 06:37:27 PM »

I think that part of Strange World is either an electric piano (like rhodes or wurlie) with the highs taken out. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a synth, considering we known Joe Thomas has no problem with synths!

I actually think that's an electric guitar, with some playing around of the volume control, or possibly using a pedal or whammy bar, similar to what we hear at the very end of the track. Although not credited (a problem which comes up a few times on this album, involving different instruments that are heard, but not listed), it's apparently Dave's playing: “I recorded guitar parts for six tracks at Gary Griffin’s studio, and I remember Gary telling me my parts were strange and that was fitting for a song called ‘Strange World’.”
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:38:45 PM by c-man » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 09:04:04 PM »

Someone mentioned Loop De Loop as the last song with a tuba. But doesn't When Girls Get Together have one? Though it's possible it was actually recorded before LDL?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 10:21:07 PM »

Actually a Harpsichord was used on Good Timin' I believe, Dano Bass was used during the Good Vibrations sessions as well as The Smile Sessions, A Celeste not a Glockenspiel used on Girl Don't Tell Me which was used later on as well for other songs. It's quite interesting how much the Celeste has appeared with the Beach Boys. It started way back in 1963 for the Surfin' USA sessions, then Brian used it again for Little Saint Nick. He wasn't done with it, he used it again on Girl Don't Tell Me. After that it was used during the Smile Sessions. I think it disappeared after that. The longest used obscure instrument, the Harpsichord. Used in 1964, 1966, 1967, 1978 and even 2012. Craig can correct me, he's awesome when it comes to this stuff.

Does the sampled harpsichord from 2004 not count?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 04:51:48 AM »

Actually a Harpsichord was used on Good Timin' I believe, Dano Bass was used during the Good Vibrations sessions as well as The Smile Sessions, A Celeste not a Glockenspiel used on Girl Don't Tell Me which was used later on as well for other songs. It's quite interesting how much the Celeste has appeared with the Beach Boys. It started way back in 1963 for the Surfin' USA sessions, then Brian used it again for Little Saint Nick. He wasn't done with it, he used it again on Girl Don't Tell Me. After that it was used during the Smile Sessions. I think it disappeared after that. The longest used obscure instrument, the Harpsichord. Used in 1964, 1966, 1967, 1978 and even 2012. Craig can correct me, he's awesome when it comes to this stuff.

Does the sampled harpsichord from 2004 not count?

No...because it's not on a "Beach Boys" track (but rather a "Brian Wilson" track...or tracks).  Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 04:55:02 AM »

Someone mentioned Loop De Loop as the last song with a tuba. But doesn't When Girls Get Together have one? Though it's possible it was actually recorded before LDL?

"Loop De Loop" came first...but I don't think there's a tuba on "When Girls Get Together"...track sheet notations for that one indicate oboe, bari sax, and bass trombone.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 05:07:50 AM »

"Loop De Loop" came first...but I don't think there's a tuba on "When Girls Get Together"...track sheet notations for that one indicate oboe, bari sax, and bass trombone.
817-925-6827

Oh ok. The bass trombone must be what I'm hearing.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 05:15:04 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:13:03 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 07:07:07 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:12:15 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 07:17:55 AM »

I haven't listened to it in some time, but I recall that the original 1978 version of "Santa Ana Winds" sounds like it has bass harmonica on it. There's also regular harmonica on it  (which was retained for the 1980 KTSA version), but I recall hearing what sounds like bass harmonica underscoring the verses of that '78 version. It could be something else that *sounds* like bass harmonica I suppose.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 11:02:53 AM »

Random question, sorta off topic, but not exactly...

Is "I Do Love You" the last (and perhaps only?) time that a BBs track had a single musician (not a member of the band) playing so many different instruments on one song? That person being Stevie Wonder, of course. "I Do Love You" is definitely an odd duck, and I think it may hold this record.

The only other tracks that come to mind are stuff like Love You tracks, but of course that one single musician was a BB member, Brian, playing nearly all instruments.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:09:40 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »

Trash Can drums- Surfin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »

Orange Juice Cartons (?)  -- God Only Knows, played by Hal Blaine?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »

Is "I Do Love You" the last (and perhaps only?) time that a BBs track had a single musician (not a member of the band) playing so many different instruments on one song? That person being Stevie Wonder, of course. "I Do Love You" is definitely an odd duck, and I think it may hold this record.

The only other tracks that come to mind are stuff like Love You tracks, but of course that one single musician was a BB member, Brian, playing nearly all instruments.

It's not the same as Wonder's near one-man-band, and it's a BW track, but "Let It Shine" is pretty much all Brian and Jeff Lynne, with one of the session drummers. But it's Lynne on acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, 6-string bass/baritone guitar, and possibly some keyboards. Then Brian on keys/piano presumably, and one of the session drummers.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »

It's not the same as Wonder's near one-man-band, and it's a BW track, but "Let It Shine" is pretty much all Brian and Jeff Lynne, with one of the session drummers. But it's Lynne on acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, 6-string bass/baritone guitar, and possibly some keyboards. Then Brian on keys/piano presumably, and one of the session drummers.

That's interesting. I guess "Let It Shine" might be in a similar category for a BW solo track, but perhaps "I Do Love You" is pretty unique in this respect within the cannon of "BBs" songs?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »

Orange Juice Cartons (?)  -- God Only Knows, played by Hal Blaine?

Plastic orange juice cups, actually - and played (with sticks) by Jim Gordon.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »

Didn't Roy Hay from Culture Club play most of the instruments on "Passing Friend"? And isn't the Boys' version of "Crocodile Rock" mostly played by one guy?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »

I haven't listened to it in some time, but I recall that the original 1978 version of "Santa Ana Winds" sounds like it has bass harmonica on it. There's also regular harmonica on it  (which was retained for the 1980 KTSA version), but I recall hearing what sounds like bass harmonica underscoring the verses of that '78 version. It could be something else that *sounds* like bass harmonica I suppose.

Without digging it out to verify with certainty, yes - that's my recollection, too.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »

This thread also got me wondering; did Dennis (or any of the BB drummers) ever actually physically play an electronic drum kit, either live or in the studio?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »

This thread also got me wondering; did Dennis (or any of the BB drummers) ever actually physically play an electronic drum kit, either live or in the studio?

They toured with an electronic drum kit from 1984 to around 1988, if memory serves. Bobby Figueroa and Mike Kowalski traded off on it, and I even saw Al play it (on "Be True To Your School") in '88. Video of their July 4th 1990 performance (in Cape Code, Mass.) reveals John Stamos playing an electronic drum kit (I think he may have mostly bashed the cymbals attached to the kit...which were real cymbals).
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2018, 05:26:32 PM »

They toured with an electronic drum kit from 1984 to around 1988, if memory serves. Bobby Figueroa and Mike Kowalski traded off on it, and I even saw Al play it (on "Be True To Your School") in '88. Video of their July 4th 1990 performance (in Cape Code, Mass.) reveals John Stamos playing an electronic drum kit (I think he may have mostly bashed the cymbals attached to the kit...which were real cymbals).

Thanks, c-man. Oh yes, and how could I forget, Stamos plays one in the Summer of Love video too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »

You can see Bobby F. playing the electronic drums in this clip from the 1984 DC show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaezkdnJ6WU

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »

You can see Bobby F. playing the electronic drums in this clip from the 1984 DC show:

Thanks for that clip, HeyJude. I wonder if Denny would have tried out an electronic kit had he been around then (or perhaps out of curiosity he actually might have tried playing a kit like that in a music store during his lifetime, who knows).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 12:12:57 PM »

Thanks for that clip, HeyJude. I wonder if Denny would have tried out an electronic kit had he been around then (or perhaps out of curiosity he actually might have tried playing a kit like that in a music store during his lifetime, who knows).

Thankfully, the band never used an electronic kit like that as their main drum kit on stage. It would have sounded dreadful (with or without Mike Kowalski drumming). So I doubt Dennis would have ever used such a kit as the main drum kit.

I'm no expert on such things, but my recollection is that those early electronic kits had less or no ability (compared to modern stuff) to gauge how hard each drum was kit. So it was often a case of really just using the pads as a non-pressure-sensitive trigger for drum samples/midi, etc.

As a secondary sort of percussion set up, it was innocuous (though interestingly it really only lasted a few years in their rig).

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »

Dennis would have BATTERED an electric drum kit!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx