gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:32:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The very last time certain instruments were played on BB tracks?  (Read 12894 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »

After recently discovering that Denny had Paul Tanner play theremin on "Tune L" (which contradicted my previous thought that the song "Wild Honey" was the last recorded instance of theremin on a BBs recording - BB member solo tracks not included), I'm curious as to what other instances we have of things like that?  

I should add, of course one could also argue that Tune L was never meant to be a "BBs" track from the onset.

Would Van Dyke's accordion-playing on Summer in Paradise constitute the last time that instrument was played on a BBs track? Or is there some accordion buried on TWGMTR that I've overlooked?

What other examples are there?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:28:05 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »

Hate to break it to you but there's an accordion on Strange World.

The last time any synthesizers were used was probably SIP or maybe Stars and Stripes.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »

Thinking about sleigh bells...  Be with me may be last but I feel like there is something on MIU with sleigh bells .

Bass harmonica - perhaps pet sounds era?

Vibraphones - till I die

Leslie on guitar - you’re so good to me

Tympani - celebrate the news

Dano bass/baritone - today era

Timbales - I get around

Lap steel - Holland era

Triangle - be true to your school (perhaps it was used again? I can’t recall)

Bell tree - kiss me baby

Wood block / temple block - good time

Mandolin - Disney girls

Banjo - surfs up era

Tuba - wake the world

Glockenspiel - girl don’t tell me

Harpsichord - when I grow up to be a man

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:29:00 PM by Rebel » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 07:34:43 PM »

I think a Dano was used on Pet Sounds
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »

Actually a Harpsichord was used on Good Timin' I believe, Dano Bass was used during the Good Vibrations sessions as well as The Smile Sessions, A Celeste not a Glockenspiel used on Girl Don't Tell Me which was used later on as well for other songs. It's quite interesting how much the Celeste has appeared with the Beach Boys. It started way back in 1963 for the Surfin' USA sessions, then Brian used it again for Little Saint Nick. He wasn't done with it, he used it again on Girl Don't Tell Me. After that it was used during the Smile Sessions. I think it disappeared after that. The longest used obscure instrument, the Harpsichord. Used in 1964, 1966, 1967, 1978 and even 2012. Craig can correct me, he's awesome when it comes to this stuff.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:07:35 PM by branaa09 » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 08:08:07 PM »

Brian played a Dano bass on That's Not Me and there is a leslie on the lead guitar on the track Pet Sounds.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 08:30:12 PM »

Thinking about sleigh bells...  Be with me may be last but I feel like there is something on MIU with sleigh bells .

Vibraphones - till I die - NOPE - "That Same Song", various MIU tracks, "Goin' South", various TWGMTR tracks

Leslie on guitar - you’re so good to me - NOPE: "Loop De Loop" (although you can't really tell) - and, actually: "You're Still A Mystery" (VERY noticeable!) Smiley

Tympani - celebrate the news - NOPE - "Bill And Sue", "Strange World"

Dano bass/baritone - today era - NOPE - Pet Sounds, SMiLE, possibly once or twice later as well

Timbales - I get around - NOPE: "Please Let Me Wonder", "Daybreak Over The Ocean" (although the latter may be sampled)

Lap steel - Holland era - That's pedal steel, my friend Smiley

Triangle - be true to your school (perhaps it was used again? I can’t recall)

Bell tree - kiss me baby - MAYBE...but there's mark tree on "Daybreak Over The Ocean", and probably some MIU tracks like "Matchpoint"

Wood block / temple block - good time - NOPE: "Summer's Gone"

Mandolin - Disney girls - NOPE: "Summer In Paradise", possibly some Stars And Stripes track

Banjo - surfs up era - NOPE: "California Saga", "Bill And Sue"

Tuba - wake the world - NOPE: "Loop De Loop"

Glockenspiel - girl don’t tell me - POSSIBLY: "Daybreak Over The Ocean" (again, maybe sampled)

Harpsichord - when I grow up to be a man - NOPE: it's all over Pet Sounds and SMiLE...as well as "I'll Bet He's Nice", "Good Timin'" and "Shelter"

See my corrections above... Smiley
EDIT: see my update regarding the Leslie on guitar! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:23:37 AM by c-man » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 02:19:22 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:13:15 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 05:00:30 AM »

I'm pretty sure there's a bass harmonica on Friends

There is indeed!  Smiley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 06:44:08 AM »

The last time any synthesizers were used was probably SIP or maybe Stars and Stripes.

I would have to guess some form of synthesizer is somewhere on TWGMTR. Unless it's truly all acoustic piano, some of the keys on the album would presumably come from some sort of electronic piano/synthesizer.

Certainly, if we include solo material there are synths/electric piano on various tracks.

I guess it has been awhile since we got a sort of "DX7" type of 80s synth sound. The last instance of that may be something like Al's "Don't Fight the Sea" (a BB track in all but name), though in that case the synths may actually come from the vintage 1989 sessions for the song.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 10:27:18 AM »

When were real drums last used (ie skins,cymbals played with drumsticks utilising real human limbs) ?  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »

When were real drums last used (ie skins,cymbals played with drumsticks utilising real human limbs) ?  LOL

And the flipside of that: when was the 1st time a drum machine was used? Was it Lady and/or Til I Die? And then not again for a number of years after?
swinkhouse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 11:48:54 AM »

When were real drums last used (ie skins,cymbals played with drumsticks utilising real human limbs) ?  LOL

And the flipside of that: when was the 1st time a drum machine was used? Was it Lady and/or Til I Die? And then not again for a number of years after?

Isn't there a drum machine on "Our Sweet Love"?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:50:04 AM by swinkhouse » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 01:13:50 PM »

I believe the bass drum sound was created by placing a microphone inside a guitar case and keys were used for percussion.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »

On a Beach Boys album before TWGMTR, I would think it is California Calling with Ringo Starr.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 01:49:55 PM »

Jim Keltner plays some real drums on "Kokomo", so that comes after BB '85.

I wouldn't be surprised if a smattering of the "Still Cruisin'" material has real drums. It sounds to me like at least "Somewhere Near Japan" and "Island Girl" have real drums.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »

If we are going to get into super geeky territory here, how about the last time that certain models of Fender guitars were played on BBs recordings? I know Carl played a Jaguar (at least he did live, I'm assuming he did in the studio at some point too?)... did anyone else after the early 60s ever play a Fender Jaguar on a BBs recording?

I love nerdy trivia like this and welcome more of it if anyone has any insight on this Fender type of stuff.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 08:54:25 PM »

If we are going to get into super geeky territory here, how about the last time that certain models of Fender guitars were played on BBs recordings? I know Carl played a Jaguar (at least he did live, I'm assuming he did in the studio at some point too?)... did anyone else after the early 60s ever play a Fender Jaguar on a BBs recording?

Not sure...but maybe Dave played one on TWGMTR....
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 09:03:54 PM »

Jim Keltner plays some real drums on "Kokomo", so that comes after BB '85.

I wouldn't be surprised if a smattering of the "Still Cruisin'" material has real drums. It sounds to me like at least "Somewhere Near Japan" and "Island Girl" have real drums.

Actually, Keltner programmed an Emu SP1200 drum machine on "Kokomo" - but I think he played a real kit on "Somewhere Near Japan". I believe Kowalski plays on "Island Girl". Vinnie Colauita drums on "In My Car".
But between those tracks and TWGMTR, there were the then-unreleased "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery" - both of which feature real drums (the latter played, once again, by Jim Keltner).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »

On a Beach Boys album before TWGMTR, I would think it is California Calling with Ringo Starr.

There are other tracks with real drums on that album..."Maybe I Don't Know" is one, although they were then sampled and looped. "It's Just A Matter Of Time" is another...and Stevie played drums on "I Do Love You".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »

I believe the bass drum sound was created by placing a microphone inside a guitar case and keys were used for percussion.

Hal Blaine played drums on that track, although they are minimal (like, just hi-hat and kick, with keys added to enhance the hi-hat).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 09:12:06 PM »

I would have to guess some form of synthesizer is somewhere on TWGMTR. Unless it's truly all acoustic piano, some of the keys on the album would presumably come from some sort of electronic piano/synthesizer.

Certainly, if we include solo material there are synths/electric piano on various tracks.

I guess it has been awhile since we got a sort of "DX7" type of 80s synth sound. The last instance of that may be something like Al's "Don't Fight the Sea" (a BB track in all but name), though in that case the synths may actually come from the vintage 1989 sessions for the song.

I think the keyboards on "Daybreak Over The Ocean" are probably the only synths on that album - and they may not be synths in the '80s sense of the word (meaning, digitally created soundwaves), but rather sounds digitally sampled from real instruments.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »

I think the keyboards on "Daybreak Over The Ocean" are probably the only synths on that album - and they may not be synths in the '80s sense of the word (meaning, digitally created soundwaves), but rather sounds digitally sampled from real instruments.

Are we defining synths in the 80's sense of the word? That's what I was doing. I was guessing modern keyboards would be different from the 70's/80's synthesizers like Moogs and Yamahas.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »

Are we defining synths in the 80's sense of the word? That's what I was doing. I was guessing modern keyboards would be different from the 70's/80's synthesizers like Moogs and Yamahas.

The '70s synths (Moog, ARP, and Sequential Circuits were the most popular) were analog, or what Bruce calls "steam powered". Popular early '80s models like those made by Roland were analog with digitally controlled oscillators. Classic mid-to-late '80s models by Yamaha, Korg and others were all digital.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »

What is that pulsey sound from around 00:48 to 00:52 on Strange World? Is that a synth?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx