gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:50:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys and their safety net  (Read 1775 times)
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »

I am just wondering when the boys started implementing more musicians into their live shows and why? In their very early, televised shows it was just 5 guys but seems like it kept growing and growing. Was this due to the guys not caring/practicing or not being sober and needing extra help? If memory serves me, wasn't there TWO drummers at one point to back up Dennis' playing? I didn't expect them to be playing everything themselves during the reunion shows in 2012 but I was still surprised by how many people were actually on stage.

Here's the most provocative question: Can anyone actually hear Al's guitar, Bruce's keyboard, or Brian's piano? In my only BB show the band was AWESOME but I do not have sensitive hearing and it's hard for me to tell the difference.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »

The expansion of the band was probably done to fill out the sound and make it more powerful. As the times changed, they needed to beef up their sound a bit. The use of 2 drummers was really done because of Dennis' erratic playing when he showed up for shows in the 80's.....and many time he didn't even show. When Denny was there however, and clean and sober they didn't need 2 drummers....he was GREAT. Problem was those other times. As far as Al's guitar, always mixed way down in the mix so he could concentrate on singing, same with Bruce. Let's remember, the Beach Boys really were a vocal band, it's what stood them apart from other bands, and when they were in their prime there were none better.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 12:10:26 PM »

It also has a huge amount to do with the songs that Brian was writing.  It would be hard to reproduce a lot of songs post-Summer Days with just five guys onstage.  

Edited to add:  There's a documentary in which this is discussed - I want to say it's "Brian Wilson, Songwriter"? 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:13:57 PM by marcella27 » Logged
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »

It also has a huge amount to do with the songs that Brian was writing.  It would be hard to reproduce a lot of songs post-Summer Days with just five guys onstage.  

Edited to add:  There's a documentary in which this is discussed - I want to say it's "Brian Wilson, Songwriter"? 

That makes perfect sense. You won't be able to recreate their music after the early days with just 2 guitars, a bass, and drum kit.

Thank you! I will check out the doc, too.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx