gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:02:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So in the fall of 1980 Bob Dylan was rehearsing for his next tour...  (Read 5377 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2017, 08:02:52 AM »

....and wouldn't you believe it that amongst the new material, old material and his newer Gospel material was quite a few attempts at the newly released Wilson/Love tune entitled "Goin' On"! For whatever reason, after a few tours of Dylan only doing his latest Gospel material from his Slow Train Coming and Saved albums, along with a few original tunes which didn't get released until 2017, he decided it was time to include some pre-Slow Train Coming classics like "Mr. Tambourine Man" and  "Girl from the North Country" along with some pretty random covers.

So along with stuff like "Sweet Caroline" and "Rainbow Connection" (!) he ran through "Goin' On" apparently quite a few times. So it's not like it was a quick strum-through or something. It seems to me that maybe Dylan was actually considering bringing this cover tune to the stage.

Kinda nutty stuff if you ask me.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:55:11 AM »

....and wouldn't you believe it that amongst the new material, old material and his newer Gospel material was quite a few attempts at the newly released Wilson/Love tune entitled "Goin' On"! For whatever reason, after a few tours of Dylan only doing his latest Gospel material from his Slow Train Coming and Saved albums, along with a few original tunes which didn't get released until 2017, he decided it was time to include some pre-Slow Train Coming classics like "Mr. Tambourine Man" and  "Girl from the North Country" along with some pretty random covers.

So along with stuff like "Sweet Caroline" and "Rainbow Connection" (!) he ran through "Goin' On" apparently quite a few times. So it's not like it was a quick strum-through or something. It seems to me that maybe Dylan was actually considering bringing this cover tune to the stage.

Kinda nutty stuff if you ask me.

This is fascinating. Was this version ever released? I was trying to extrapolate that information from your post but I was not quite able to.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:24:28 AM »

It would be interesting to hear any extant recording of this.

Ironically, by the fall of 1980 the Beach Boys themselves had dropped the still-new song from their setlist. In fact, while the summer tour had several KTSA songs, "Goin' On" was dropped prior to the summer. They did in early in the year at some gigs and on a TV appearance on "Friday's" (great version on that show; much better than the wonky performance from the Spectrum in April), but it was dropped by May or so.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »

Really?! Fascinating, indeed! That would be cool to hear...

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »

This is fascinating. Was this version ever released? I was trying to extrapolate that information from your post but I was not quite able to.

Ha. No, it hasn't been released yet. I admit I got a little flowery with the writing.

But anyway it was discussed in a book on Dylan's "Gospel Years" which goes into detail about that whole era. I don't see it getting a release any time soon with so many other prospective bootleg series releases to come, like something possibly based the Blood on the Tracks album sessions and another maybe on the Infidels album sessions. So maybe in 2030 when the 50 year copyright comes up?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:59:32 AM »

Ha. No, it hasn't been released yet. I admit I got a little flowery with the writing.

But anyway it was discussed in a book on Dylan's "Gospel Years" which goes into detail about that whole era. I don't see it getting a release any time soon with so many other prospective bootleg series releases to come, like something possibly based the Blood on the Tracks album sessions and another maybe on the Infidels album sessions. So maybe in 2030 when the 50 year copyright comes up?

Very cool. Does the book speak of there being existing recordings of this?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »

Well, there are recordings featured on the new Dylan set from this group of rehearsals, so I'd say it's 99 percent likely there may not only be one, but multiple recordings. From reading the book it seems like the author, Clinton Heylin, was able to listen to these rehearsal tapes and then reported back on their contents in his book.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 11:54:10 AM »

Well, there are recordings featured on the new Dylan set from this group of rehearsals, so I'd say it's 99 percent likely there may not only be one, but multiple recordings. From reading the book it seems like the author, Clinton Heylin, was able to listen to these rehearsal tapes and then reported back on their contents in his book.

Wowzers. I guess then hopefully at some point something will be released, or will leak. If you asked me a less likely BBs song for Bob Dylan to cover, I guess I'd pick Problem Child or Make it Big, but Goin' On is pretty high up there on the unlikely list.

Unless, that is, Dylan (who I don't know much about his career and musical preferences, to be honest), was really into a retro, throwback kind of sound around 1980. I think Goin' On is a super underrated track that sounds both retro and sorta kinda current for 1980 at the same time. Carl manages to almost sound like Freddie Mercury at times on this song, his lead vocal parts are SO good, and his voice just sounds so incredibly strong and vibrant.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 11:22:07 PM »

Wowzers. I guess then hopefully at some point something will be released, or will leak. If you asked me a less likely BBs song for Bob Dylan to cover, I guess I'd pick Problem Child or Make it Big, but Goin' On is pretty high up there on the unlikely list.

Unless, that is, Dylan (who I don't know much about his career and musical preferences, to be honest), was really into a retro, throwback kind of sound around 1980. I think Goin' On is a super underrated track that sounds both retro and sorta kinda current for 1980 at the same time. Carl manages to almost sound like Freddie Mercury at times on this song, his lead vocal parts are SO good, and his voice just sounds so incredibly strong and vibrant.
Freddie Mercury? No, that is Carl being Carl, the best singer in the BB's by far in 1980. He just put everything he had into those solo parts. Elevates the song to another level. Can't imagine Bob singing that part, maybe he handed it over to Clydie King?
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 11:39:27 PM »

Here's a quote from Fred Tackett, Dylan's guitar player in those days:
"He had this really cool thing. When we were working on Saved, we just worked on those tunes. He was writing them and we were learning them before we recorded them. But later on, when we started playing his old songs again, he’d give me a tape of someone else’s song. One time it was Bob Seger’s Night Moves. Another time it was Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline. We even did a version of the Muppets song, Rainbow Connection. He’d say, teach the band this song, so I’d write the chord sheets, the guys would come in and I’d teach them Night Moves, Sweet Caroline, and so on, and he would sing it, then he’d send the recording to Bob Sager or Neil Diamond. [laughter]

He never said anything about it, but I always thought he didn’t want us to have these set-in-stone arrangements down. He wanted us to rehearse as a band but without us butchering his tunes over and over again, banging them into the ground. So he gave us these other songs to play. Then we’d go out on stage and play his songs. We’d rehearse them a bit, but not enough to be set in stone or to get our parts down. And I thought that it worked great. It was a great tactic, and I’ve never run across anyone else doing that. It’s a great way to rehearse a band, where you’ve got everyone together playing, without wearing the songs out."

You also got to consider that Dylan was then involved with one (or more) of his backing singers, a girl called Carole Dennis. Which might explain the 'Sweet Caroline' thing.
Never heard about him doing a recent Beach Boys song.

He once tried  to do 'God Only Knows' onde, though the band had never rehearsed it and he forgot some of the lyrics.
Funny man, our Bob.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 01:02:12 AM »

Ironically, by the fall of 1980 the Beach Boys themselves had dropped the still-new song from their setlist. In fact, while the summer tour had several KTSA songs, "Goin' On" was dropped prior to the summer. They did in early in the year at some gigs and on a TV appearance on "Friday's" (great version on that show; much better than the wonky performance from the Spectrum in April), but it was dropped by May or so.

Speaking of "Goin' on" done live, someone just recently uploaded this performance on "Fridays" in much better quality than I had ever seen before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h62YsU1GZc
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:06:51 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 08:20:08 AM »

Speaking of "Goin' on" done live, someone just recently uploaded this performance on "Fridays" in much better quality than I had ever seen before:

Rad, thanks for sharing!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »

Good Vibes into Goin On there is one of my fave BB live moments ever.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 06:45:45 AM »

They did in early in the year at some gigs and on a TV appearance on "Friday's" (great version on that show; much better than the wonky performance from the Spectrum in April), but it was dropped by May or so.

Oonly watched the first minute or so (need to be somewhere) I'll watch the rest later.

Wow - haven't heard the original album/vinyl version (was Keepin' the Summer Alive ever released anywhere as a single?) only the Knebworth performance,  but Carl's vocals on the first minute or so of TSAS here really rock.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 06:59:48 AM »

They did in early in the year at some gigs and on a TV appearance on "Friday's" (great version on that show; much better than the wonky performance from the Spectrum in April), but it was dropped by May or so.

Oonly watched the first minute or so (need to be somewhere) I'll watch the rest later.

Wow - haven't heard the original album/vinyl version (was Keepin' the Summer Alive ever released anywhere as a single?) only the Knebworth performance,  but Carl's vocals on the first minute or so of TSAS here really rock.

KTSA wasn't a single, but you should definitely get the "Keepin' the Summer Alive" album (and all their albums of course). The KTSA album is spotty, but there are some good moments.

Ironically, the "studio" version of the song "Keepin' the Summer Alive" is kind of dull and limp. Any live version sounds markedly better. The "Friday's" version is nice, as is Knebworth. I think the July 4th, 1980 Washington DC version shown on TV (and later briefly released on home video in Japan) is the best.

But really, the reason to highlight the "Friday's" TV performance is the great live version of "Goin' On." It's not mixed perfectly, but it shows how tight that 1980 unit could still be.

Also worth noting is Brian's piano playing. While it doesn't help the song "rock" particularly convincingly, I can't help but be pretty intrigued with Brian playing such heavy piano on "Keepin' the Summer Alive."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 08:49:08 AM »

I'm a huge Dylan fan and would love to hear this someday. It's kind of a zany choice for a cover, but he did equally zany ones onstage in the 80s and I can kind of imagine his voice doing the Carl vocals.

In a sense, it's almost more intriguing that Dylan was listening to the KTSA album than that he tried rehearsing this cover. Or would he have heard Goin' On on the radio and tracked it down?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:50:42 AM by MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 09:12:19 AM »

KTSA wasn't a single, but you should definitely get the "Keepin' the Summer Alive" album (and all their albums of course). The KTSA album is spotty, but there are some good moments.

Ironically, the "studio" version of the song "Keepin' the Summer Alive" is kind of dull and limp. Any live version sounds markedly better. The "Friday's" version is nice, as is Knebworth. I think the July 4th, 1980 Washington DC version shown on TV (and later briefly released on home video in Japan) is the best.

But really, the reason to highlight the "Friday's" TV performance is the great live version of "Goin' On." It's not mixed perfectly, but it shows how tight that 1980 unit could still be.

Also worth noting is Brian's piano playing. While it doesn't help the song "rock" particularly convincingly, I can't help but be pretty intrigued with Brian playing such heavy piano on "Keepin' the Summer Alive."
KTSA , as an album, is really kind of a strange beast. Know the surface it seems like the nadir of their whole career up to that point. But underneath all the polish and shine lies a damn fine album.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »

I'm a huge Dylan fan and would love to hear this someday. It's kind of a zany choice for a cover, but he did equally zany ones onstage in the 80s and I can kind of imagine his voice doing the Carl vocals.

In a sense, it's almost more intriguing that Dylan was listening to the KTSA album than that he tried rehearsing this cover. Or would he have heard Goin' On on the radio and tracked it down?

Dylan was a pretty big fan (he famously said "They're fucking good" at one of their early 70s shows), so I guess it's reasonable to believe that he was still listening to their new (at the time) material. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 11:16:49 PM »

Dylan was a pretty big fan (he famously said "They're fucking good" at one of their early 70s shows), so I guess it's reasonable to believe that he was still listening to their new (at the time) material. 
Yes he was. In fact, I saw one of his gospel shows in 1980, and during one of the raps between songs, he said "I just want you to know that Jesus Christ is Lord, he's my savior, and the Beach Boys are fucking good!"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx