gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:40:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sweet Insanity - prospects  (Read 4660 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »

Sweet Insanity from 1991 is Brian's second SMiLE, all those versions floating around.

Questions:

Were the master tapes really stolen?

Given that there was a Warner promo cassette acetate in 1991, why so many different (unofficial) versions?

Supposedly there are two iterations of the album, completed by Brian. What are the differences?

Is the Vigotone the best of the unofficial releases?

Is there even a remote possibility that Warner will eventually release the album in some form, perhaps a 2 CD deluxe?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »

Is there even a remote possibility that Warner will eventually release the album in some form, perhaps a 2 CD deluxe?

Could there even be a way to release this album without Landy's name being in any of the song credits? They found a way to remove Landy's name from BW88 subsequent releases (a fact that while I completely understand nobody wanting Landy to further profit off of Brian, caused a possibly factually inaccurate crediting situation to arise, if Landy did indeed write some lyrics)... but Sweet Insanity is way more Landy-fied, and I feel as though  lyrics to songs like "Brian (Thank You)" really must have at least partially come from Landy's pen.

How they could remove him completely from credits must be a weird thing to deal with (among many, many weird complications releasing this album might entail). As such, I unfortunately think it'll stay officially unreleased.
Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »

In one interview i read before, Brian mentioned names/lyrics of a few songs that he remembered from around that period that he didn't have recordings of anymore. I think Landy probably took off with a lot of that stuff after the separation. After he died, Alexandra Morgan sold off a bunch of BW stuff that Landy had kept. Those SI cassettes that have surfaced came from her.

There were 2 mixes, both w/ different track listings. Some of the same songs appear on both but w/ some minor variations (like some brass, backing vocals, & assorted weird effects being removed on songs like Don't Let Her Know... & Water Builds Up on the 2nd mix).

There used to be an upload on youtube of the audio directly from the cassette. As good as the bootlegs are, the actual cassette seemed to sound much clearer.

If they didn't wanna release it then, i doubt they will now.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 11:38:18 PM »

I have a cd of the album, found it at Everyday Music in Seattle, it says something like "Millennium Edition" or something on it. I like most of it, even if it is overproduced. I feel it's the missing link in Brian's solo career. Hope it does get properly released someday, but i'm not holding my breath.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 01:39:04 AM »

I have a cd of the album, found it at Everyday Music in Seattle, it says something like "Millennium Edition" or something on it. I like most of it, even if it is overproduced. I feel it's the missing link in Brian's solo career. Hope it does get properly released someday, but i'm not holding my breath.
"Millennium Edition" is rumored to be made by a Japanese bootlegger among fans here. There are "Millennium Editions" also for SMiLE, Pet Sounds and  Adult/Child.

As for SI, I hope it gets released someday since it's entirely good stuff to my years, but I doubt it considering how much pain Landy gave Brian and how many songs are related deeply to that memory.

That said, it might be released around 2039 to avoid letting the stuff sold by bootleggers legally.
pool_of_tears
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 06:30:49 AM »

Long-time lurker here...rare post from me...maybe I should post more often:

The master tapes being stolen, according to Brian, well...I have to take that with a grain of salt. Brian dodges a question and tells a big fib when he wants to avoid discussing a topic. The SMiLE tapes were destroyed (see A&E 199 bio), eh Brian?! Brian also said several years ago, that he never knew Dennis had a solo album. Yeah, right, Brian!

My theory is this:

The master tapes are in the vaults (both versions), but both versions have leaked out. And those promo cassettes did indeed leak from Alexandra Morgan.

The promo cassette is the best way to hear the 2nd version of Sweet Insanity. I'd welcome a 4 cd box with the following:

1. BW 88 (w/bonus stuff from the 2000 reissue)
2. Sweet Insanity [both versions]
3. Andy Paley sessions...lots of potential, here!
4. Miscellaneous rare & unreleased tracks: Hotter, Daddy's Little Girl, rough mixes from the BW 88 album including Love & Mercy w/the missing verse.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:31:42 AM by pool_of_tears » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 06:51:18 AM »

It's possible that the true "master" tapes (either multi-tracks and/or final mix masters) could have gone missing at some point (and for all we know could have been recovered since). I don't think any of the circulating versions of SI are taken from actual master tapes. It's presumably all from leaked dubs and whatnot. The "good but not A+" quality of the various versions would seem to support this.

True promo cassettes would have presumably been mastered from some sort of master tape, so indeed a clean transfer of a legit promo cassette would probably be the best-sounding version.

I really don't see Brian issuing the full album under its title as a stand-alone release. I think the best venue for the tracks would be a big career-spanning "Solo Rarities" sort of boxed set.

As with the "Smile" stories, Brian's story regarding SI may have some sort of grain of truth/accuracy. Much like some folks feel it's actually possible that Brian really *did* destroy a few "Smile" tapes at some point based on what hasn't survived, it's possible during the extrication from Landy that the multi-tracks and/or final mixed masters for either or both versions of SI went missing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »

I have the 2 CD set on the Evergreen label, complete with both mixes of the album.
Set was released in 1999, and has a whole lot of extras (Daddy's Little Girl/Too Much Sugar etc and a whole bunch of sessions from BW88).
Audio quality is superb
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 11:09:05 AM »

I have the 2 CD set on the Evergreen label, complete with both mixes of the album.
Set was released in 1999, and has a whole lot of extras (Daddy's Little Girl/Too Much Sugar etc and a whole bunch of sessions from BW88).
Audio quality is superb

I always forget about the existence of Daddy's Little Girl.

I wonder how many BBs fans saw every single obscure theatrically-released film in the theaters that had a BB song on it - for that reason.  She's Out of Control, The Telephone, Police Academy 4, Problem Child (I can attest to seeing the latter two in the theater as a kid, but this was long before my BBs fandom), etc.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »

I have the vigortone Edition with 16 songs some of which are really good like the spirit of rock and roll with Dylan and don't let her know she's an angel. There's some really wacky songs on here to that are clearly Landy influenced. But in general I'm really glad I have it. If nothing else for the completist factor
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 10:00:02 PM »

Audio quality is superb

I wonder how many BBs fans saw every single obscure theatrically-released film in the theaters that had a BB song on it - for that reason.  She's Out of Control, The Telephone, Police Academy 4, Problem Child (I can attest to seeing the latter two in the theater as a kid, but this was long before my BBs fandom), etc.
I sat through Police Academy twice just to hear Let's Go to Heaven in My Car. Watched the others when they turned up on tv. There was also a film about a pizza delivery guy called Loverboy that used a couple songs from BW88.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 08:36:13 PM »

Audio quality is superb

I sat through Police Academy twice just to hear Let's Go to Heaven in My Car. Watched the others when they turned up on tv. There was also a film about a pizza delivery guy called Loverboy that used a couple songs from BW88.

That's awesome. I honestly love the Police Academy films as guilty pleasures. Too bad Michael Winslow, the Police Academy sound effects genius, wasn't asked into the studio to add some sound effects to some songs that Brian was working on in that era.  No kidding, he probably would've done it if asked, and could've added the SFX to tracks like Water Builds Up.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 01:03:52 AM »

My personal favourite on this collection is 'You're Making Me Harder'

Great little sing along.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »

Great little sing along.

That’s not what he’s saying at all. Grow up.

It’s “You’re MAKIN’ Me Harder.”

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 01:43:09 PM »

Great little sing along.

That’s not what he’s saying at all. Grow up.

It’s “You’re MAKIN’ Me Harder.”

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 09:15:51 AM »

Sweet Insanity from 1991 is Brian's second SMiLE, all those versions floating around.

I don't think Warner owns the master tapes. Besides Brian beign released from his contract with Sire, it's possible that the sessions were paid by Brain & Genius (maybe using an advance in royalites from Sire. If that was the case, they probably gave back the money to Sire. kinf of Reprise claiming back the dollars advanced for the release of Smile in the early 70s). B&G didn't exist as such way back in '88, thats one of the legal differences between the two albums.

If Brian had the sole rights to the Sweet Insanity recordings AND the interest in releasing them, he would have picked at least one song for inclusion on the Playback anthology, a la "Some sweet day" from the Paley sessions.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx