gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:49:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still Cruisin and SIP should be in the core catalogue.  (Read 19921 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »

Interestingly (sorry if already mention) the rather decent 'The Beach Boys Americas Band' book by Johnny Morgan from 2015 certainly includes the 2 said albums into the core discography

Yeah, and Morgan doesn’t really hold back on how friggin horrible SIP sounds either LOL I really love the book, it’s FULL of great pictures of the band and good commentary to go with them.

It’s so odd to me that The Beach Boys website doesn’t include SIP or SC in the discography, but the Wikipedia page does. Also odd about The Beach Boys website is that someone actually thought it a good idea to promote the Mark McGrath ‘Do It Again’ cover right on the homepage. Quality control much?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »

The C50 Tour Program included Still Crusin' in the pictures of the album sleeves but not SIP.

Both albums were released and promoted as Beach Boys albums at the time, no amount of revisionism can alter that fact.  As such they should be available in some format, not airbrushed out of existence.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2018, 04:16:10 PM »

Even if it was promoted as such at the time, Still Cruisin' really isn't much of an album.  Three new songs, three recent soundtrack contributions, Wipe Out which was two years old by that point and already on a Fat Boys album, and three classic songs from the '60s.  I think the only reason it gets recognized is because Kokomo was such a big hit and it was the first time it appeared on a Beach Boys release, even though it had already been on the Cocktail soundtrack.  Otherwise it would probably be seen as just another in the endless series of Beach Boys compilations.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:52:56 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2018, 11:00:35 PM »

Both albums should be included in the discography.  There were new songs and they were front and center as the featured artists. Stars and Stripes, however, should not be included as they were guests on their allegedly own album

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2018, 11:26:51 PM »

For many years, I thought S&S was a tribute album. I didn't realise that all of the surviving members(plus Matt Jardine) sang on every song(albeit, backing vocals only). I then begrudgingly bought it. If not for the great contributions from Willie Nelson and Timothy Schmidt I'd burn it. How anybody let this embarrassing monstrosity out over a Beach Boys album of the Paley sessions will forever baffle me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2018, 11:40:38 PM »

You're a lot kinder than I was when I first heard it.  I already don't care for country that much. Then you throw in that most of it ranks as very bad country. Then throw in the fact that some of the artists included were not actual country singers (besides Schmidt, Kathy Troccoli is a CCM singer like people like Michael W Smith). Then you add in the fact that the BB were not front and center? As my daughter likes to say "Ya know what...? uh uh"

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2018, 11:48:40 PM »

You know all those E.T. Atari games they found in a landfill? They should have put S&S in it's place.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2018, 11:56:27 PM »

LOL

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2018, 05:28:11 AM »

The best song didn't even make it to S&S vol.1

Tammy Wynette's cover of In my Room

that one can be found on a Tammy tribute album, of all places.
KDS
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2018, 06:10:05 AM »

For many years, I thought S&S was a tribute album. I didn't realise that all of the surviving members(plus Matt Jardine) sang on every song(albeit, backing vocals only). I then begrudgingly bought it. If not for the great contributions from Willie Nelson and Timothy Schmidt I'd burn it. How anybody let this embarrassing monstrosity out over a Beach Boys album of the Paley sessions will forever baffle me.

It basically is a tribute album.  In 2000, The Doors put out a tribute album that featured all members (including Jim), but they luckily knew enough to not put THE DOORS on the top of the album cover. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx