gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:11:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GIOMH redux  (Read 10926 times)
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »

I've been thinking about bringing back this album as a topic for the last couple of months. Since another thread is covering Brian's work on L.A and other 70s stuff., I can't help but keep thinking how little we know about the sessions for this album.

What we know about GIOMH:

-Album released as part of the BWPS deal with Warner (BWPS to Nonesuch, GIOMH to Rhino)

-part of the title song backing track dates from the post-Imagination sessions with Joe Thomas (the same sessions, now I presume, were the songwriting genesis for some of the songs on TWGMTR and maybe NPP. How could we still be dancing definitely dates from that era)

-Most of the backing tracks for Soul Searchin' and Saturday Morning in the city come from the Paley sessions.

-The only new tune (as far as we know) is A friend like you.

-According to a Mark Linnett interview for Ear Candy, there were several more songs which eventually ended as outtakes.

-Desert Drive was recorded before the rest of the main album sessions, that's why Brian's band handle the background vocals.

What we assume (from the aural evidence):

at least at different moments, Brian was uninterested,  according to his vocals on You touched me (intro) or the slurring "Ever afterrrrrr" on Fairy Tale.

I still like the album, mind you, but I can't believe how little we know about it. I mean, everybody assumes that Brian didn't pick up the tracks (at least the ones who made the album), and some people have mentioned that his band built the backing tracks from Brian's piano demos.

Since all the press Brian did that year was directed to BWPS, there's almost no mention of the making of the album in print (even Peter Amis Carlin deals with it in one or two sentences).

I'm not writing this to start a reappraisal/discussion for the album, but to try to gather some hard facts about it.

Anybody got some extra info to share? Thanks

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:28:26 PM by Pablo. » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 06:07:33 PM »

Good topic!

From what I can gather, Desert Drive was recorded in 2002 along with (supposedly) two other songs. I have no idea what those two songs were.  Rest of the album was recorded in 2003 to my knowledge

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »

Yes, that's why DD has Foskett, Darian, Scott et al on backgrounds (I added this to my original post). And they also played it live even before (I think?) 2002. Of course, there's an instrumental take on the Paley tapes.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »

Why don't we gather information of the origin of the songs:
How Could We Still Be Dancin' -"Dancin' the Night Away", co-written with Andy Paley and recorded with Carl and Mike on Mar. 3, 1995

Soul Searchin' - co-written with Andy, recorded with the BB except Bruce on Nov. 7-8, 1995

You've Touched Me - "Turning Point a.k.a. So Long", co-written with Gary Usher and worked on during Jun 29-Jul 16, 1986.

Gettin' in Over My Head - co-written and worked on with Andy circa 1995, later reworked with Joe Thomas circa 1998.

City Blues- worked on with Dennis circa 1982, during "Cocaine Sessions".

Desert Drive- co-written Andy and worked on Oct 29, 1994

A Friend Like You- new track written with Steven Kalinich

Make a Wish- a "Sweet Insanity" track, which was co-written with Landy and recorded circa 1990.

Rainbow Eyes- same as above

Saturday Morning in the City -co-written wiwh Andy and first worked on during "Brian Wilson" sessions, later reworked on with Andy circa 1995.

Fairy Tale -"Save the Day", a SI track co-written with Landy

Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel -same as above, but demoed early in 80's

The Waltz -"Let's Stick Together,", same as above, but worked on with "Weird" Al Yancovic.

This is only AFAIK so correction please.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »

For what it's worth, I attended a record signing that Brian did for this album. It was at Tower Records in Sherman Oaks, and I have some pics.

Brian walked in wearing Adidas-style sweatpants, super casual, and they definitely did a good deal to promote this record. There was a giant standee cardboard cutout of the album cover by Brian.

But I don't think it's nearly as bad as the rep it has. It almost seems to be treated as the Summer in Paradise of Brian's catalog.  It's not great, but it undoubtedly has some great parts to it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 11:17:19 PM »

How can we still be dancing has very minor elements of Dancing the night away, but that's it. It was an almost complete rewrite by Joe Thomas...I'm not 100% but I think Brian's credit stems from the earlier song and the intro.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 01:00:45 AM »

Not to stray too off topic, but am I the only one who much prefers the original "Sweet Insanity" version of "Make A Wish"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 01:21:34 AM »

Not to stray too off topic, but am I the only one who much prefers the original "Sweet Insanity" version of "Make A Wish"?
I love it too, Brian's quirky great stuff.  GIOMH version stinks by comparison because it goes on too long.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 01:24:30 AM »

Another much preferer here. The backing track and those backing vocals-----sheer heaven!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 02:27:25 AM »

FWIW, I rememebr reading that "Saturday morning in the city"'s melody first came up during the Smile (1966/67) sessions. Maybe a look into the board history will give more info

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 04:27:08 AM »

I think it was originally called Grateful Are We For Little Children and Dennis Wilson and Steven Kalinich were involved, started in 1968 and was also worked on in 1975
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 04:57:41 AM »

I found two topics that broach the subject. Maybe there are more...

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,277.msg28490.html#msg28490

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9914.msg174091.html#msg174091

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 09:48:49 AM »

Can anyone comment on the version of “Don’t Worry Baby” featuring Wilson Phillips that was apparently an iTunes exclusive bonus track on GIOMH? Never got to hear it.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 09:59:03 AM »

Can anyone comment on the version of “Don’t Worry Baby” featuring Wilson Phillips that was apparently an iTunes exclusive bonus track on GIOMH? Never got to hear it.

There may still be a sample of it here:

http://thedjlist.com/djs/brian-wilson/albums/Gettin'_In_Over_My_Head_(Bonus_Track)/

The song is still listed on Spotify here:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0VqfdPhm0TJVZpgSUnX7m2

But I don't know if that material on Spotify is actually active as I can't try it right now.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »

Consider the timing of the album as well. It was when Smile had just been premiered live that winter, and GIOMH came out that June - Followed by the Smile studio release that fall. I think it got swallowed up in the attention surrounding Smile, which was pretty massive and rightly so...but perhaps if GIOMH had been released at another time, a different listening experience would have been had by people buying it amidst the Smile attention and anticipation. Actually, let me clarify, I remember this very very well, and I'm not exaggerating to say for myself that I put GIOMH on the backburner attention-wise because the Smile anticipation was so massive. I don't think I paid much attention to giving GIOMH a full listening session when it came out because I was spinning live audience recordings from the live Smile shows instead, in regular rotation that summer.

I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest Smile was the biggest release of Brian's solo career, and a one-of-a-kind type of deal. This album just kind of appeared and got swept up in what was surrounding Smile. Maybe it's good to have a revisiting session and listen with fresh ears on its own merits.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 11:13:24 AM »

I remember listening to the "Cocaine/Hamburger" sessions tape years before GIOMH came out, and thinking that "City Blues" had a lot of promise. I recall saying back then that it sounded like something maybe Jeff Lynne could work on with Brian.

That precisely didn't happen, but it was kind of mind-blowing that *that* particular song was plucked from obscurity to put on GIOMH. The Paley, Thomas, and Sweet Insanity stuff made sense, it was all stuff he had been working on over the previous decade, with many of those songs taking form in the studio.

But "City Blues" as far as I know appears nowhere else other the Cocaine tape (it could easily be on some other tape that has never escaped).

Did we ever get any confirmation of whose idea digging up that song was?

In any event, I was somewhat disappointed in the resulting final track on GIOMH. I liked hearing the song fleshed out. Brian's vocal is actually just fine. I don't even mind Clapton's guitar wankery on the track. But the arrangement and mix is too busy and wet and cluttered (which is true of much of the album).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »

When I first heard this album, I was initially overjoyed. I much preferred the production and sound of this as opposed to Imagination, which I hated immensely (still may be my least favorite BB solo album) As time moved on, the vocals and certain aspects of the production started to grate on me (the violins on "You Touched Me", for instance). Currently, I enjoy the album as an "official bootleg". As an actual album, not so much.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 12:01:16 PM »

I remember listening to the "Cocaine/Hamburger" sessions tape years before GIOMH came out, and thinking that "City Blues" had a lot of promise. I recall saying back then that it sounded like something maybe Jeff Lynne could work on with Brian.

That precisely didn't happen, but it was kind of mind-blowing that *that* particular song was plucked from obscurity to put on GIOMH. The Paley, Thomas, and Sweet Insanity stuff made sense, it was all stuff he had been working on over the previous decade, with many of those songs taking form in the studio.

But "City Blues" as far as I know appears nowhere else other the Cocaine tape (it could easily be on some other tape that has never escaped).

Did we ever get any confirmation of whose idea digging up that song was?

In any event, I was somewhat disappointed in the resulting final track on GIOMH. I liked hearing the song fleshed out. Brian's vocal is actually just fine. I don't even mind Clapton's guitar wankery on the track. But the arrangement and mix is too busy and wet and cluttered (which is true of much of the album).

Also, why does Denny not have a posthumous co-writing credit on that song? That omission has always struck me as odd.

The only theories that make sense to me are: possibly Denny didn't actually really have a hand in writing it (even if he was there at the bootlegged Cocaine sessions), or perhaps it was decided that a Denny credit would call attention to the origins of the song and would remind people of the really, really bad time involving Brian doing heavy drugs that the song was first conceived during, and a coked-out Brian wasn't exactly the image they wanted associated with the final product.  

It's just sad that there aren't any officially-credited Brian/Denny cowrites, even though Brian apparently was an uncredited contributor on songs like Little Bird (possibly only with production and not songwriting, unless one counts the lifted "Child is Father of the Man" riff as worthy of a cowriting credit). City Blues could have broken that streak.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:05:30 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »

When I first heard this album, I was initially overjoyed. I much preferred the production and sound of this as opposed to Imagination, which I hated immensely (still may be my least favorite BB solo album) As time moved on, the vocals and certain aspects of the production started to grate on me (the violins on "You Touched Me", for instance). Currently, I enjoy the album as an "official bootleg". As an actual album, not so much.
Same here. I liked it a lot initially, when I wasn't familiar with all those bootlegs, but I began to like it less and less as I listen to the album again and again and started to explore the bootleg recordings.

What still irritates me is Brian's voice - The production is for me a bit rough but better than Imagination as you said, and needless to say the songs are mostly great, it really is a pity to see Brian ruin such stuff with his poor vocals. He sounds great again on later albums, so probably either recording another takes on vocals and featuring the back chorus of Brian's band all over would've helped it to be great as it should be.
KDS
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »

I liked GIOMH the first time I heard it. But, that diminished on subsequent listens.  I recently revisited the album on a track by track poll on the PSF, and I must say, with or without the near release of BWPS, its a weak album, by far the weakest of Brian's solo career.  But, they cant all be winners.   

I will say that I think Desert Drive and We Should Still Be Dancing are really good. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 02:30:24 PM »

I'm not so sure how much Brian's vocals are truly bad across the board on this album.

Certainly, the intro to "You've Touched Me" sounds like a case of making one quick pass at each vocal part in the stack and moving on. There are a few other wonky vocal bits.

But plenty of his vocals are just fine. I think even his stacks on "How Could We Still Be Dancing" are pretty solid overall. Still a bit sloppy, but I love Brian vocal stacks. It's why I love "Orange Crate Art" so much.

I like Steve Kalinich, but his two contributions to the album aren't a high water mark. Pretty drippy, sing-songy lyrics.

Some of the songs have solid performances and productions but are bland songs, while other songs are solid but with wonky production.

There's a solid song buried under "A Friend Like You", but the lyrics and the arrangement and the mixing are way too syrupy.

The version on this album of "Soul Searchin"" is a non-issue now that the MUCH stronger BB version was released on MIC. (Brian removing Carl's bridge vocal, arguably Carl's shining moment of the song, and also adding an epic sax solo also didn't help).

I don't think the album is the trainwreck some paint it as. But it's almost like a bunch of the tracks would have made interesting b-sides/bonus tracks rather than "main album" tracks.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:31:13 PM by HeyJude » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 03:19:27 PM »

I'm not so sure how much Brian's vocals are truly bad across the board on this album.

Certainly, the intro to "You've Touched Me" sounds like a case of making one quick pass at each vocal part in the stack and moving on. There are a few other wonky vocal bits.

But plenty of his vocals are just fine. I think even his stacks on "How Could We Still Be Dancing" are pretty solid overall. Still a bit sloppy, but I love Brian vocal stacks. It's why I love "Orange Crate Art" so much.

I like Steve Kalinich, but his two contributions to the album aren't a high water mark. Pretty drippy, sing-songy lyrics.

Some of the songs have solid performances and productions but are bland songs, while other songs are solid but with wonky production.

There's a solid song buried under "A Friend Like You", but the lyrics and the arrangement and the mixing are way too syrupy.

The version on this album of "Soul Searchin"" is a non-issue now that the MUCH stronger BB version was released on MIC. (Brian removing Carl's bridge vocal, arguably Carl's shining moment of the song, and also adding an epic sax solo also didn't help).

I don't think the album is the trainwreck some paint it as. But it's almost like a bunch of the tracks would have made interesting b-sides/bonus tracks rather than "main album" tracks.

I agree with many of these assessments. I wonder how much of Brian's vocals being noticeably improved on subsequent albums was perhaps out of the fan reaction online that was pretty harsh on how uninterested he sounded when singing them. Somehow, I feel like fan reaction (when it isn't just an isolated person or two saying it) might positively influence Brian, and even Mike, to up their game.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 07:20:12 PM »

Around June 2004 and the following months, the 12-minute EPK for GIOMH was accessible on Brian's website.  It's a great watch if you can track it down, brings back a lot of great memories (i.e. like Darian asking Brian how to sing the "look so fine" part in HMR)!  Back when most of the media on Brian's site was RealMedia format...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:21:57 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »

How Could We Still Be Dancin' -"Dancin' the Night Away", co-written with Andy Paley and recorded with Carl and Mike on Mar. 3, 1995
nope...
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »

nope...
Sorry. I think I've read this somewhere, but I think I'm wrong. Dancin' the Night Away has nothing to Do with How Could We Still Be Dancin', right, or just partly?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx