gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:51:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think is the better song?
Bridge Over Troubled Water
You've Got a Friend

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BotS #5: Bridge Over Troubled Water vs. You've Got a Friend  (Read 5936 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2017, 11:48:18 PM »

Hello, here's next Battle of the Songs between Grammy's "Song of the Year" in 1970 and 1971:

Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel:

https://open.spotify.com/track/6l8EbYRtQMgKOyc1gcDHF9

vs. You've Got a Friend by Carole King:

https://open.spotify.com/track/1qhp5owrFGeZ5Jgin28nwR

Both are great songs of the possibly one of the greatest era of music, but I'd take Bridge Over Troubled Water this time. Maybe You've Got a Friend has more emotion put into, but in terms of production Bridge Over Troubled Water is something else. THAT harmony, and that drum.

Now, which do you think is the better song? Curious to know how you think?
KDS
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 04:34:42 AM »

No contest here.  James Taylor's song is nice, but Bridge Over Troubled Water is a masterpiece. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 08:03:57 PM »

Will have to think this over!
I love BOTW. Great production and Art Garfunkel is supurb.
There were two versions of YGaF that came out about the same time. I really liked them both but as the years have gone by I've come to love Carole King's version much more.
Two great songs. Will make decision tomorrow.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 09:39:55 PM »

Made decision. Both great songs but went with Bridge over Troubled Water.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 04:37:30 AM »

Difficult! I heard "BOTW" way, way too often at the time.

I like "YGAF" in the context of Tapestry (a bit like "AIWTD" in the context of 20/20)...

But like KDS and Elizabeth, I eventually went for the masterpiece of composition, performance and production that is "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

The band called Half Man Half Biscuit was always good for hilarious album titles. Achtung Bono was one and another was Trouble Over at Bridgewater. LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 04:49:16 AM »

Carole King makes boring Tapestry, album chockful of weak samey material sung in laughably bad voice, yet she gets Grammy. BBs, THE BEST vocal group, didn't get Grammy. Bottom line: Grammy=biggest joke in music industry. Haha!

Dislike BOTW but Paul Simon is miles better.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 06:20:28 AM »

Bottom line: Grammy=biggest joke in music industry. Haha!

Agreed 100%.  Close second - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 07:29:02 AM »

Tapestry is boring? Grrrr! 😀

Do agree with you about the Grammy awards.

KDS
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 07:32:56 AM »

No contest here.  James Taylor's song is nice, but Bridge Over Troubled Water is a masterpiece. 

Thanks to sleep deprivation, I just noticed that I listed James Taylor (I actually prefer his version). 

But, Carol's version also pales in comparison to the masterpiece that is Bridge Over Troubled Water. 
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 08:24:54 AM »

Agreed 100%.  Close second - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
The fact that BB and its members couldn't receive grammy until 2004 (except for I Write the Songs) says something.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:25:27 AM by Watamushi(Polly Poller) » Logged
KDS
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 08:28:13 AM »

Agreed 100%.  Close second - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
The fact that BB and its members couldn't receive grammy until 2004 (except for I Write the Songs) says something.

Right, and the Grammy was for an instrumental.  The founder of the greatest vocal group in history wins a Grammy for an instrumental?  But, the Grammys are also notorious for handing out awards for live versions of decades old songs just to say they gave awards to legacy acts like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »

I remember seeing a video of the 2012 era Beach Boys. They were discussing the Grammy Awards and that Good Vibrations lost for 1966. Brian acted surprised and  asked what song won. When told it was a Mamas and the Papas song his reaction was priceless. Don't know if he was pulling their legs or if he had truly forgotten that GV didn't get a Grammy but it was so funny!
Wish I could find that video.

KDS
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »

I remember seeing a video of the 2012 era Beach Boys. They were discussing the Grammy Awards and that Good Vibrations lost for 1966. Brian acted surprised and  asked what song won. When told it was a Mamas and the Papas song his reaction was priceless. Don't know if he was pulling their legs or if he had truly forgotten that GV didn't get a Grammy but it was so funny!

did TWGMTR get any nominations?  It seems like whenever a big name legacy artist releases an album now it gets a token nomination. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 10:02:38 PM »

did TWGMTR get any nominations?  It seems like whenever a big name legacy artist releases an album now it gets a token nomination. 
That's true. I remember when Dylan's TOOM got Album of the Year in 1998. Great album, but where were the Grammy voters when he did Highway 61, BoB, BOTT, or Desire?
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »

No song wins when compared to "Bridge." If you vote for the other song, Art's beautiful voice will come to haunt you in the night.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »

No song wins when compared to "Bridge." If you vote for the other song, Art's beautiful voice will come to haunt you in the night.

Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 02:47:41 PM »

BOTW is a masterpiece in every respect and would stand up  against songs from any year. YGAF  is a nice little song, so much better in the hands of James Taylor., but not in the same league by any metric.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »

YGAF isn't "nice little song", it's further - boring nice little song. The entire Tapestry can be described like that.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »

My goodness! OK, I'll agree about Tapestry and CK's version of YGAF, but JT's version elevates it significantly, IMO, way out of the "boring" range. Never understood Carole King's  success, and really hated when she an Taylor toured together a few years ago. Mega-Props to her, though, for writing "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow."
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 05:52:11 PM »

Tapestry and Mud Slide Slim came out in my early High School days and I had both albums. At the time I probably was more of a James Taylor fan but came to appreciate Carole King more later.

RR, I figure you wouldn't like MSS as it's very laid back. But you didn't feel the earth move under your feet just a tiny bit with Tapestry? :-)

As for Ms King's voice, it doesn't bother me (just as Bob Dylan's doesn't). She wrote many great songs.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 07:28:02 AM »

But you didn't feel the earth move under your feet just a tiny bit with Tapestry? :-)
No. Don't care about James Taylor either.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx