gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:14:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: '70s Beach Boys Songs Brian Didn't Sing On  (Read 13741 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 06:33:39 AM »

And Jason Scheff also sang some backing vocals (along with fellow Chicago member Bill Champlain) on the 1986 Brian/Gary Usher sessions.

Jason Scheff left Chicago in the last year or two and was replaced by a new guy.

Knew I shoulda Googled him before writing that!

I don't closely follow Chicago, but it appears Scheff's departure was/is shrouded in at least a bit of mystery. I recall reading he had to take some time off and they hired a temp replacement, but then eventually they just announced Scheff was gone for good and the temp guy was made permanent.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2017, 06:37:33 AM »

The verse lead vocals on the bootlegged mix you refer to were indeed vintage '74. The lead vocals on the final version, however, were apparently redone in December '78. I say "apparently", because that's what the track sheet notations tell us, and that's also what engineer Tom Murphy told me. I haven't A/B'd the two mixes, though, to see if they sound noticeably different.

While the world of BB recordings often yield some unexpected results even when our ears tell us a certain story, I just A/B'd that '74 backing track/partial lead version against the ultimately released '79 recording, and the verse lead vocals sound identical to me. I'm pretty sure they're the same.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2017, 06:49:25 AM »

It's also, as a sidebar, interesting that even in 1979 alone, the lead on "Good Timin'" was passed around a lot for some reason. Dennis sang it at least a few times, and then weirdly *Mike* sang the lead at the Easter Seals Telethon in March 1979 (with Carl standing right next to him).

With Brian of course singing it at solo gigs, and Brian and Al sharing the lead during C50, it's one a handful of songs where all five original BBs have taken a stab at the lead over the years in concert.

John Stamos and Chris Farmer (and probably Christian Love?) have also sang it in concert over the years.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2017, 04:10:49 PM »

The verse lead vocals on the bootlegged mix you refer to were indeed vintage '74. The lead vocals on the final version, however, were apparently redone in December '78. I say "apparently", because that's what the track sheet notations tell us, and that's also what engineer Tom Murphy told me. I haven't A/B'd the two mixes, though, to see if they sound noticeably different.

While the world of BB recordings often yield some unexpected results even when our ears tell us a certain story, I just A/B'd that '74 backing track/partial lead version against the ultimately released '79 recording, and the verse lead vocals sound identical to me. I'm pretty sure they're the same.

Then maybe the tracks marked as "vox Carl 12/13/78" contain Carl's chorus leads?  I'll have to ask Mr. Boyd...
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2017, 04:43:02 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:13:20 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »

I remember reading somewhere, fairly recent, that they were hoping for Brian to sing the lead on "Good Timin'," but he wasn't available in time and they had to put it out as is.  I may be mixing this up with "Goin' On" though.  Does this ring a bell with anyone?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2017, 06:38:18 AM »

I remember reading somewhere, fairly recent, that they were hoping for Brian to sing the lead on "Good Timin'," but he wasn't available in time and they had to put it out as is.  I may be mixing this up with "Goin' On" though.  Does this ring a bell with anyone?

It seems tailor made for Carl's voice.

The thing I've noticed with "Good Timin'" is that it sounds deceptively like a really simple lead vocal to perform. It doesn't require a huge range or anything. But I think it's a slightly difficult lead to pull off, because it's all about the tone and pulling off rolling the last word of each verse.

Witness the fact that Mike's sole stab at the lead in '79 is pretty weak and wonky, and really even Brian's stabs at it on his solo tours or C50 have strangely always sounded more wonky than one would think it should. Dennis's attempts in '79 were okay I suppose.

I think they could have coaxed a good lead out of Brian during the '78 Criteria sessions if he had been able to bring his insanely ultra-smooth "MIU" voice (the "Matchpoint of Our Love" voice), but he was so relatively low key and down during the LA sessions that maybe it just wouldn't have happened even if they had wanted it. And I honestly have no idea if they ever eyed Brian for the lead on that one.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:11:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2017, 03:08:27 PM »

I remember reading somewhere, fairly recent, that they were hoping for Brian to sing the lead on "Good Timin'," but he wasn't available in time and they had to put it out as is.  I may be mixing this up with "Goin' On" though.  Does this ring a bell with anyone?

It seems tailor made for Carl's voice.

The thing I've noticed with "Good Timin'" is that it sounds deceptively like a really simple lead vocal to perform. It doesn't require a huge range or anything. But I think it's a slightly difficult lead to pull off, because it's all about the tone and pulling off rolling the last word of each verse.

Witness the fact that Mike's sole stab at the lead in '79 is pretty weak and wonky, and really even Brian's stabs at it on his solo tours or C50 have strangely always sounded more wonky than one would think it should. Dennis's attempts in '79 were okay I suppose.

I think they could have coaxed a good lead out of Brian during the '78 Criteria sessions if he had been able to bring his insanely ultra-smooth "MIU" voice (the "Matchpoint of Our Love" voice), but he was so relatively low key and down during the LA sessions that maybe it just wouldn't have happened even if they had wanted it. And I honestly have no idea if they ever eyed Brian for the lead on that one.

I'm pretty sure in Gaines it was said that Brian was wanted for the lead on "Good Timin'" in 1978. However, I wonder about this as obviously in 1974 you had Brian working on the song at Caribou with Carl doing the lead. So if it was planned to have a Brian lead, why was Carl doing it then?

But yeah, I do wonder if it would've been as commercial as it is if it would've had a circa 1978 Brian lead vocal. The vocals from around the time of the L.A. (Light Album) vary. I thought he sounded pretty nice and clear on "California Feelin'" while he sounded pretty rough on the demo for "I'm Begging You Please"  and just incredibly rugged on "Drip Drop" so I'm unsure as to how he would've sounded. I assume they coulda done something really nice all things considered, but I guess we will never know.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:08:56 AM by Tommy Wiseau » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2017, 09:16:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure in Gaines it was said that Brian was wanted for the lead on "Good Timin'" in 1978.

Actually, it was me - and I got it straight from Tom Murphy...here is exactly what he wrote to me: "We were hoping Brian would sing the lead on 'Good Timin''.  But time ran out.  So Carl and I did the vocal at Britannia Studio, where we did a lot of the backing vocals for the whole record.  It was bittersweet for me; Carl sang HEAVENLY but we both wished it was Brian."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 06:09:35 AM »

I'm pretty sure in Gaines it was said that Brian was wanted for the lead on "Good Timin'" in 1978.

Actually, it was me - and I got it straight from Tom Murphy...here is exactly what he wrote to me: "We were hoping Brian would sing the lead on 'Good Timin''.  But time ran out.  So Carl and I did the vocal at Britannia Studio, where we did a lot of the backing vocals for the whole record.  It was bittersweet for me; Carl sang HEAVENLY but we both wished it was Brian."

My apologies c-man! You are the man and I want you to get all credit you are due!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »

So the lead was from 1978 and not from 1974?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »

So the lead was from 1978 and not from 1974?

It appears the most likely scenario may be that the verse lead lines ("we're all goin' places", etc) are from 1974 and the chorus lines ("you need good timin', it takes good timin'") are from 1978.

This is what I guess it sounded like in 1974:

https://youtu.be/4YydiCcNRIE

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »

That's what I figured

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »

My apologies c-man! You are the man and I want you to get all credit you are due!

Oh, no worries dude - I just wanted to let everyone know exactly what Mr. Murphy said on this topic. Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx