gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:59:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forgotten Contributions or Contributions after They Left:  (Read 6043 times)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »

Hi everyone, have there been any list of when members have contributed to a Beach Boys song or maybe even a concert after they left the group?

I know David Marks was on Little Saint Nick, some songs from Shut Down Vol II, and maybe Don't Worry Baby.

Bruce was on occasional backing vocals and piano on Holland, 15 Big Ones, and Love You.

Blondie doesn't have any as far as I know except through the unreleased tracks on Made In California.

Ricky was on some songs on 15 Big Ones and KTSA.

Does anyone know any particular songs?

Shows:
Ricky appeared on the Dave Clark 1974 NYE show that wasn't actually taped on NYE.

David Marks appeared in Boston in 1971 around the time Mike asked him to rejoin as a bassist and for the Baywatch appearance when Carl couldn't make it.

Bruce appeared at a couple of shows in around 1973 and 1974.

Anything else?

List:

David Marks:
Little Saint Nick? (single version) (1963)
Don't Worry Baby? (1963)
some songs from Shut Down Vol II
Surfer Girl — live in Boston 1971
occasional performances live in the 1980's and 1990's
Baywatch Apparance live 1995

Bruce Johnston:
California Saga: California (1973)
occasional shows during 1973/1974
Blueberry Hill (1976 — backing vocals and piano)
I'll Bet He's Nice (1977)

Blondie Chaplin:
Sail On Sailor — live at one show in the 1990's

Ricky Fataar:
It's OK (recorded while he was in the band but released afterward)
Dick Clark New Year's Eve performance recorded between September and November 1974
Just Once In My Life (1976?) — percussion
Keepin' The Summer Alive (1980)
Sunshine (1980)

After 1998 — the touring band:

Al Jardine:
February 2011 "Reagan" show
April 2012 private show

David Marks:
2008 UK tour
2014 Jones Beach CA
2015 London and some other shows
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:07:48 AM by All Summer Long » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »

Bruce has said he was on every studio album after he left EXCEPT MIU. He sang backup on "Marcella", "California Saga (Part Three), and "I'll Bet He's Nice".

On KTSA, Ricky plays drums on "Sunshine" and the title track.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:41:04 PM by c-man » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 05:26:40 PM »

Blondie sang "Sail on Sailor" at a BB show in the 90s.

Dave appeared with the BBs and Mike's side band a few times in the 80s and 90s.

Al did the one-shot Reagan gig with Mike's BBs in February 2011 and also did one gig with Mike's BBs for a private gig in April 2012 right before the C50 tour started.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 05:29:04 PM »

One could maybe also count Al's bass and vocals on things like the "Surfer Girl" sessions.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 05:32:23 PM »

Bruce's first live gigs back around September 1978 may have been before he was fully, officially back in the band full time. He was already working on the LA album of course. Not sure if they considered him full time and full fledged at that early date.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 04:50:51 AM »

Ricky played drums on "Just Once In My Life".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 10:08:14 AM »

Percussion, actually - along with Carl. Drums were Denny.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »

<<Ricky Fataar:
TM Song (recorded while he was in the band but released afterward)
Dick Clark New Year's Eve performance recorded between September and November 1974
Sunshine (1980)>>

Not sure about Ricky's appearance on that first one...sure, a version may have been recorded while he was in the band, but the credits on the released version don't mention him..."It's OK", however, does feature Ricky's drumming, presumably from his tenure in '74...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »

I guess you should count Brian in the list. He subbed for Carl on tour when he went solo early 80s as they were contractually required to have 5 Beach Boys on stage as I recall reading somewhere.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 10:30:30 AM »

I guess you should count Brian in the list. He subbed for Carl on tour when he went solo early 80s as they were contractually required to have 5 Beach Boys on stage as I recall reading somewhere.

But Brian hadn't been out of the band prior to Carl's departure in 1981. Brian was more or less full time on the road from mid-late 1976 to 1982. He only started missing more substantial amounts of shows later in 1982 after Carl returned.

He did fill in some of Carl's lead vocals on that 1981 tour, but Brian had been full time in 1980 and early 81 when Carl was still there.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »

You mean 4.  Smiley

Edit - sorry, thought you wrote "late 80s" - as, after Dennis' passing. I believe you're actually correct regarding the early 80s contractual requirement - even though they played plenty of shows in '82 and '83 with only 4 principals - probably for a reduced rate! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:58:22 AM by c-man » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »

<<Ricky Fataar:
TM Song (recorded while he was in the band but released afterward)
Sunshine (1980)>>

Not sure about Ricky's appearance on that first one...sure, a version may have been recorded while he was in the band, but the credits on the released version don't mention him..."It's OK", however, does feature Ricky's drumming, presumably from his tenure in '74...

Thanks c-man.  Confused the two of them because I didn't have the album or Wikipedia at hand when I was typing that. Will edit that later.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »

Wasn't all of It's Ok completed in 1974, or just the basic track?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »

Wasn't all of It's Ok completed in 1974, or just the basic track?

Basic track and maybe some overdubs - I do believe Ricky's drums were overdubbed, at the time...then Dennis' drums and the remaining stuff were probably added in '76.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 02:03:28 PM »

Percussion, actually - along with Carl. Drums were Denny.
Oh, thanks!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »

But Brian hadn't been out of the band prior to Carl's departure in 1981. Brian was more or less full time on the road from mid-late 1976 to 1982. He only started missing more substantial amounts of shows later in 1982 after Carl returned.

He did fill in some of Carl's lead vocals on that 1981 tour, but Brian had been full time in 1980 and early 81 when Carl was still there.

Hey it’s Christmas already for me so my timeline is out probably.  LOL

I don’t remember the article but I do remember the mention of numbers of Beach Boys contractually required early 80s. It may have been 4.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 06:54:48 AM »

I could be wrong, but I thought the contractual requirement was that there be at least 1 Wilson on stage. I remember a handful of shows when Carl left in 81 where there weren't any Wilson's on stage when Brian and Dennis didn't show up, fairly regular for Dennis at that point...I think that was where the requirement came from, and was the main reason they dragged Brian back out on the road when Carl left in 81. Poor Brian trying to sing those pristine Carl leads like Good Vibes and Don't Worry Baby. Not his best efforts for sure.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 09:18:58 AM »

Actually, was the ‘contractually required’ mention from the Brian (Landy) Book?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »

Not sure what the literal contractual requirements were, but Brian wasn't dragged *back* when Carl left in 1981. Brian was already there. He hadn't left and he had been back more or less full time since mid-late 1976.

Carl being gone and Dennis missing an increasing number of shows may have meant they emphasized to Brian that he couldn't miss gigs. But it's not like they dragged Brian out of bed in early 1981. He basically did the same thing he had been doing in 1980, only with several more lead vocals, namely GV, GOK, and Don't Worry Baby. They dropped most other Carl-centric songs like Good Timin' and Darlin' (the latter returning in early 1982 when Foskett joined).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 09:26:34 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx