gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:40:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50 is the new 20 for the Beach Boys?  (Read 9105 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 11:33:32 AM »

Let's be honest; the BBs rarely looked *cool* on stage. There were a few brief moments in the late 60s and early 70s.

By the late 70s they tended to look pretty goofy. Wind breaker jackets, sweat pants, sweat shirts, Hawaiian shirts with tanktops. "Knebworth 1980" was sadly a *good* day fashion-wise for them for that era.  LOL

C50 was not too bad, but sometimes even then they kinda looked like tools when like two or three of the guys were all wearing the *same* shirt:

Serious question. 

Was there some sort of endorsement deal with button down mens shirts for TWGMTR / C50.  There seemed to be a lot of stripped and paisley shirts worn during that tour.  And from the shows, videos, and pics I've seen, Brian seems to lean towards solid colored shirts when he plays. 
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 11:59:36 AM »

I wonder if Brian and Mike are wearing the more eye-catching shirts to make them stand out from the "less important" members of the group?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:01:02 PM by Gabo » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 12:12:20 PM »

Let's be honest; the BBs rarely looked *cool* on stage. There were a few brief moments in the late 60s and early 70s.

By the late 70s they tended to look pretty goofy. Wind breaker jackets, sweat pants, sweat shirts, Hawaiian shirts with tanktops. "Knebworth 1980" was sadly a *good* day fashion-wise for them for that era.  LOL

C50 was not too bad, but sometimes even then they kinda looked like tools when like two or three of the guys were all wearing the *same* shirt:

Serious question. 

Was there some sort of endorsement deal with button down mens shirts for TWGMTR / C50.  There seemed to be a lot of stripped and paisley shirts worn during that tour.  And from the shows, videos, and pics I've seen, Brian seems to lean towards solid colored shirts when he plays. 

From what I remember reading, Mike's wife Jackie did the wardrobe for the tour. What that might have entailed, I have no idea. Did she just pick a bunch of shirts? Did she design the shirts? I have no idea.

I think it was the Rolling Stone C50 article that mentioned she had posted "recommended wardrobe" combinations/choices for particular days based on something (numerology or something?).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »

By the late 70s they tended to look pretty goofy. Wind breaker jackets, sweat pants, sweat shirts, Hawaiian shirts with tanktops. "Knebworth 1980" was sadly a *good* day fashion-wise for them for that era.  LOL

Serious question.  

Was there some sort of endorsement deal with button down mens shirts for TWGMTR / C50.  There seemed to be a lot of stripped and paisley shirts worn during that tour.  And from the shows, videos, and pics I've seen, Brian seems to lean towards solid colored shirts when he plays.  

From what I remember reading, Mike's wife Jackie did the wardrobe for the tour. What that might have entailed, I have no idea. Did she just pick a bunch of shirts? Did she design the shirts? I have no idea.

I think it was the Rolling Stone C50 article that mentioned she had posted "recommended wardrobe" combinations/choices for particular days based on something (numerology or something?).

I could easily see that some friends of Jackie's might perhaps have donated free clothes to the Boys in exchange for free press for their line.  At least it was an attempt to look fashionable that somewhat worked. But yeah, two guys in the same band should NEVER wear the identical outfit. Hokey and embarrassing! It could only work if they were all wearing matching uniforms, but not just two of the guys.

Didn't they ever see the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ethel inadvertently buy the same dress? Where was Desi Jr. to tell them these things...

I'm waiting for the day for another member of Mike's band to confusingly wear a "Mike Love" hat onstage.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:16:56 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »

I love the late 70s sweat pants look.  Really.  I was watching the Largo show from 1977 on Youtube earlier this week and marvelling at Carl in his Mickey Mouse sweatshirt.  NO stars would do that now (at least, not in an unironic way).  To call it unpretentious is an understatement. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »

Brian's current look of dress shirts, track pants, and Nike Air Monarchs is pretty fly.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »

Dawned on me that you almost never see Brian wear just a regular t shirt anymore

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 03:54:53 PM »

By the late 70s they tended to look pretty goofy. Wind breaker jackets, sweat pants, sweat shirts, Hawaiian shirts with tanktops. "Knebworth 1980" was sadly a *good* day fashion-wise for them for that era.  LOL

Serious question.  

Was there some sort of endorsement deal with button down mens shirts for TWGMTR / C50.  There seemed to be a lot of stripped and paisley shirts worn during that tour.  And from the shows, videos, and pics I've seen, Brian seems to lean towards solid colored shirts when he plays.  

This is all accurate (including the daily suggestions. See Love, Mike wearing the same yellow shirt and accents on each Sunday of the tour) but per the official tour program, the wardrobe was by designer Robert Graham.
Robertgraham.us
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:57:03 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 09:42:06 PM »

Carl stayed pretty cool and neutral for a while staying in mostly simple blacks:

The suit jacket look always worked pretty well for him:

When it was *all white*, it was a bit less successful but not too bad (also note a rare 1992 bearded Mike):

IMO, Carl always looked pretty cool. Even when the other guys had gone to Hawaiian shirts, shorts and baseball caps, Carl still wore the all white or all black suits. One dignified man among a bunch of beach bums.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx