gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680552 Posts in 27595 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:30:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys depicted as animals illustration help  (Read 2279 times)
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »

Does anyone recall an illustration from a long time ago which depicted the Beach Boys as animals — Brian, Carl and Dennis were bears, Bruce a cat, and most hilariously Mike as a dog (with cap) and Al as a duck. I think Donald Duck was flying in the sky.

Was I imagining this? I cannot find it online anywhere.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:28:08 AM by Willy Wilson » Logged

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »

Does anyone recall an illustration from a long time ago which depicted the Beach Boys as animals — Brian, Carl and Dennis were bears, Bruce a cat, and most hilariously Mike as a dog (with cap) and Al as a duck. I think Donald Duck was flying in the sky.

Was I imagining this? I cannot find it online anywhere.

It's in the original 1979 edition of Byron Preiss' authorized biography.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »

Here you go. It took a while to find! I believe it's the image for "Country Air": 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 03:39:15 PM »

Oh brilliant... thank you so much for posting!!!  Smokin  Cool Guy

Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »

I need that book.

Is it recommended apart from this wonderful illustration?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »

I got it in 1980. I have it beside me now and the artwork is great. Plenty of well known pictures plus many I have not seen since. Although I have not even glanced at it in years, it seems to be made up with quotes from the group and others close to them.

A few copies here on eBay...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=byron+priess&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbyron+priess+beach+boys.TRS0&_nkw=byron+priess+beach+boys&_sacat=0
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 02:50:26 AM »

I should add that last night's googling activity eventually led me back here.  Grin

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=23337.0

With more images from the book here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=23341.0

With grateful thanks to a Mr Smith. Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 06:28:00 AM »

The Byron Preiss "authorized biography" is an odd duck. It has some idiosyncrasies. It's obviously not super revealing, yet it has weird pieces of information and features that make it important.

I remember when I first got it that it had some interesting pics, and the little boxes with lyrics to key songs were interesting.

I actually ended up first picking up the *second* edition of the book from 1983. That book takes the story up to some time in 1983 and has a pic on the back of the BBs at the White House in June of '83. It was apparently published (or prepped) prior to Dennis's death, as it doesn't mention that.

The first edition from 1979 or so features more of the weird illustrations/paintings of the group. I'm not exactly sure what they were going for. Anyway, the cover of that first version looks like this:

Based on a quick Google image search, it appears this version was released in both hard cover and soft cover versions.

The 1983 version has a different cover (utilizing one of the illustrations found on the inside of the '79 version):

So, which version to get? If you want all the weird illustrations, the '79 version is the one. But the '83 version does have a *small* amount of updated text filling in the gaps from 1979-1983. As I recall, it rushes through those years in about a page or two, covering KTSA, Carl's departure, Mike shaving his beard (yes, I have a weird specific recollection that the book goes out of its way to mark that momentous occasion in 1982), and maybe the Watt controversy.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx