gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:21:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Vinyl Reissues to Come  (Read 3579 times)
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »

I know the Beach Boys have been pretty good about reissuing their early albums on vinyl, and this year we got a stereo mix of Wild Honey on vinyl that came out at the same time as Sunshine Tomorrow. Does anyone know if there are plans for anything in 2018? A 50th anniversary Friends reissue, perhaps? I'm jealous that the Beatles and Rolling Stones have released nice boxed sets of hte mono albums. I'd love to see a BB singles box set on 45s and with reproductions of the the original sleeves. Maybe that's just me.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:07:38 PM »

I know the Beach Boys have been pretty good about reissuing their early albums on vinyl, and this year we got a stereo mix of Wild Honey on vinyl that came out at the same time as Sunshine Tomorrow. Does anyone know if there are plans for anything in 2018? A 50th anniversary Friends reissue, perhaps? I'm jealous that the Beatles and Rolling Stones have released nice boxed sets of hte mono albums. I'd love to see a BB singles box set on 45s and with reproductions of the the original sleeves. Maybe that's just me.

Since about 2014 the whole catalogue, apart from Still Cruisin' and Summer In Paradise and Stack o Tracks has come out on vinyl via UMe and Analogue Productions.  But I would have loved a box or two to put them in!  A singles box would also be cool.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »

We got a CD collection of the singles from 62 to 65 several years back, with reproduction sleeves, etc.:

I have no problem with vinyl releases as a sidebar. But I think BB fans have had more than enough reissues/repackagings of the stuff we already own. Those Analog Productions SACDs are as good as the albums are ever going to sound.

More archival releases of previously-unreleased material should be the main focus going forward. More "Sunshine Tomorrows."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 01:10:57 PM »

Because it was not something fans particularly wanted, and because it was kind of bloated and overpriced, I don't think the 2008 "Singles Collection" boxed set sold very well. You can still track it down for a pretty cheap price (much cheaper than the original price anyway).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »

It would be nice to see them take another go at a singles box, make it more like the one The Who released this year, Maximum As and Bs which collected all their singles and b-sides on 5 discs.  It’s a really nice looking set too.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 04:20:47 PM »

We got a CD collection of the singles from 62 to 65 several years back, with reproduction sleeves, etc.:

I have no problem with vinyl releases as a sidebar. But I think BB fans have had more than enough reissues/repackagings of the stuff we already own. Those Analog Productions SACDs are as good as the albums are ever going to sound.

More archival releases of previously-unreleased material should be the main focus going forward. More "Sunshine Tomorrows."

I agree, the archival releases have been great. I just wish I could have them on vinyl. Maybe that's just me. The Analogue Productions reissues have been great, but haven't heard the same about the UMe releases, though I have no experience with those particular pressings. The CD box set of singles seemed kind of odd. Maybe it's just because I wasn't around when the original 45s were released that I'm interested in a vinyl box of BB singles.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 09:31:46 PM »

I'm a life long vinyl lover, and was very pleased throughout the 2000's when I could find new BB-related stuff on vinyl - Capitol reissues, Brian solo albums; but as vinyl has become more popular, the prices have gone up, too. I remember getting a reissue of Beach Boys Today a few years back for roughly $15. Brian's Xmas album was under $15. The Smile Sessions double vinyl was around $20 on sale. Today, a double album set is more likely to be in the $30-$40 range. Single albums are going to be around $25. It's too much. As much as I like vinyl, I can't justify paying nearly $30 for Unleash the Love on vinyl when I can get the cd for $12. I wonder how long before the fad dies out. I can't imagine people in another 20 years paying big prices for 2017 pressings.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 09:50:35 AM »

I'm a life long vinyl lover, and was very pleased throughout the 2000's when I could find new BB-related stuff on vinyl - Capitol reissues, Brian solo albums; but as vinyl has become more popular, the prices have gone up, too. I remember getting a reissue of Beach Boys Today a few years back for roughly $15. Brian's Xmas album was under $15. The Smile Sessions double vinyl was around $20 on sale. Today, a double album set is more likely to be in the $30-$40 range. Single albums are going to be around $25. It's too much. As much as I like vinyl, I can't justify paying nearly $30 for Unleash the Love on vinyl when I can get the cd for $12. I wonder how long before the fad dies out. I can't imagine people in another 20 years paying big prices for 2017 pressings.

I agree. Prices for new vinyl have gotten ridiculous. I have a hard time paying more than $20 for any album. The recent BB reissues have been very well done, and I can justify the cost for certain albums. But I picked up a clean original mono copy of Today for $4 at my local store a couple months ago. Hard to beat that, no matter how good the reissue is. But I like the option.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »

I agree. Prices for new vinyl have gotten ridiculous. I have a hard time paying more than $20 for any album. The recent BB reissues have been very well done, and I can justify the cost for certain albums. But I picked up a clean original mono copy of Today for $4 at my local store a couple months ago. Hard to beat that, no matter how good the reissue is. But I like the option.
I don't mind paying 20=plus for a NM original album from the 50s/60s. Got a NM Fats Domino album recently, sounds great, cover also in great shape, paid $15. That feels like a great deal to me. Paid similar price for original Summer Days a few years back. Saw the reissued one for a similar price, but it's Duophonic.
WTF?
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 04:22:34 AM »

The reissued one says it's Duophonic, but it plays mono.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 10:46:13 PM »

The reissued one says it's Duophonic, but it plays mono.
Well then I may give it a chance someday. Although the original pressing I picked up plays wonderfully.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx