gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:55:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations Dennis Vocals  (Read 2606 times)
swinkhouse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »

So this is something I noticed kinda recently and searched for but couldn't find anything about...

In the first verse of Good Vibrations, there's obviously a tape splice that flies Brian's high falsetto "I hear the sound of a" and then back to Carl, but is there another that adds Dennis backing Carl during the line "On the wind that lifts her perfume through the air"? It sounds different than the rest of Carl's double tracked vocals in the song, and it sounds like Dennis was added into the mix, especially on "perfume through the air". Also, you can hear another splice right before the line starts. You don't hear that in the second verse with the same melody ("She goes with me to a blossom world"), and that one is obviously just Carl.

Not super life-changing/ground-breaking or anything, but I was wondering if anyone else hears it too or knows more about it. Maybe I'm just hearing things!
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »

I've never noticed it before but I could hear why you'd think that. I'm not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me now though, could just be a case of the wilson brothers sounding similar when in the same register but what do I know?
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 05:15:20 AM »

A while back ago, when I first heard that there was a Brian/Carl splice, I thought that people were cracking up and listening a little too hard. But then I heard it, and it stands out to the point where I am wondering how I missed it before. Just like, I always thought it was odd that the 2nd verse did not rhyme - not even close - until I read in Mike's book that Brian cut the words "we'd find" (or "we'll find"?) from the end (to hear the bass better or something). Of course, now it sounds clunky to add those lyrics, even though it does add 'closure' to the verse.

Good Vibrations is such a great song and it is really eye-opening to discover all of the extremely subtle work that went into getting the sound just right. There are so many layers of sound and some of the tiniest enhancements to get the vocals to sound perfect. Nuances that the album buying public was never meant to dissect to the degree that we do. If Brian knew then that he would have so many people picking apart every aspect of his songwriting, lyrics, chord structure and production techniques, his head would have exploded! But it's exactly why we appreciate his music more with every listen. So many layers to peel back and so much to discover.

On a (sort of) related comment, did you even notice that during a concert, some of the Beach Boys are mouthing parts that they clearly are not singing? Usually well out of microphone range. You may see Al mouthing the lyrics to a song Brian is singing or Dennis singing along to certain parts that he is obviously not singing at that moment. Is that the band just getting into the music - or is that a subtle sign that there may have been parts where their voices were overdubbed or blended at one time in the studio and it almost an automatic response? In other words, I am wondering if it is an indication that maybe what was thought to be a double-tracked Brian vocal, is really a Brian/Al double-tracked vocal.

Sorry for the tangent.
swinkhouse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 05:49:56 AM »

Yeah it may be that they are brothers, after all, so they just sound similar  Razz

I never knew about the missing lyric in the second verse! That makes sense now that I think of it. Though I'm glad Brian ultimately decided to cut it cause the song is perfect as is.
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:01:51 AM »

Yeah it may be that they are brothers, after all, so they just sound similar  Razz

I never knew about the missing lyric in the second verse! That makes sense now that I think of it. Though I'm glad Brian ultimately decided to cut it cause the song is perfect as is.
I think Foskett sings that full lyric in concert now. Not sure why he does, but he does.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:19:55 AM »

Yeah it may be that they are brothers, after all, so they just sound similar  Razz

I think Foskett sings that full lyric in concert now. Not sure why he does, but he does.

He started doing that on C50, presumably based on an interview Mike gave around that time revealing (inexplicably apparently for the first time) those extra lyrics.

Note that Foskett may still be singing it that way with Mike, but that when Brian went back out on the road without Foskett, those extra lyrics have since *not* being used.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:21:04 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 10:16:41 AM »

Some references

From page 139 of Good Vibrations: My Life As A Beach Boy:

Quote from: Mike Love
We were somewhere on the Hollywood Freeway when I recited the next verse.

Close my eyes, she's somehow closer now.
Softly smile, I know she must be kind.
When I look in her eyes.
She goes with me to a blossom world we find.

Then on page 140:
Quote from: Mike Love
My only surprise was that in the last line of the second verse, Brian cut the final words, we find, eliminating the rhyme and ending the sentence with blossom world. I preferred the rhyme, but I cant argue with ending on "blossom world" -- evoking the peace movement that was gaining steam while suggesting the euphoria of being in love.

Johnny Dodd September 13, 2016 04:30 PM
People Celebrity Interview

“‘Softly smile, I know she must be kind,'” he says, reciting another section of lyrics. “‘When I look in her eyes, she goes with me to a blossom world.’ I originally wrote, ‘She goes with me to a blossom world we find,’ but Brian dropped ‘we find’ because he wanted to feature the bass line. Those are the missing two words from ‘Good Vibrations.'”
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:20:40 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 05:07:27 AM »

It's Sounds like Dennis
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx