gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:52:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al’s New Christmas Song – “Sunshine to Snowflakes”  (Read 8714 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 11:43:30 AM »

I now had the chance to listen to it. Al's voice is great, we know that.
But I don't think the song is that good and I hate the Beach Boys-parody like background vocal-arrangements. Mike uses stuff like that on his solo recordings (his new recording of "Alone on Christmas day" got destroyed by that imo) and Al at least in this case has done the same. I'm always up and happy for Al releasing new material. But I think he deserves much better than this (like NPP, that's how his voice should be used imo).
But not to forget, this isn't supposed to be a statement from Al as an artist but probably just a fun thing to do for him every now and then. Therefor I can appreciate it.

Yeah, I think its a very average song but always great to hear Al's voice on something new.

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 03:42:16 PM »

Good vocals by Al. Song and the arrangement...not good. Sounds like a cheap advertising jingle that some local furniture store would run on the radio.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 05:44:02 PM »

Al could sing the phonebook and i would listen! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 06:23:02 PM »

Al could sing the phonebook and i would listen! Cool Guy

Maybe... I think that would betray his dorkdom though, just like this light piece of fluff.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 07:21:41 AM »

Can't vastly disagree with other posts. Al's voice sounds BETTER and BETTER seemingly as time goes by.

The song is innocuous at absolute worst. I probably like the *song* itself a bit more than the "Hurry Up Santa Claus" track from 2015 (though both songs are kind of novelty bits). But "Sunshine to Snowflakes" does sound very "demo-ish" on the backing track/production side of things.

Al needs a hook up with a producer and songwriter that give him material that will allow him to use his great voice. I dig Al singing on Brian's stuff, but that's only going to happen so often and Al will only get a few of the leads.

No offense to Michael Lent, who I'm sure is a fine guitarist. But his bio indicates he plays with Barry Manilow and does TV soundtrack work and Broadway work, and his studio work has been with David Foster, Jeffrey Osborne, and that ilk. I think even Joe Thomas in comparison might sound like AC/DC compared to some of that stuff.

I think Al's simple production style on some of the "Postcards" tracks like "California Feelin'" would be great. So I think Al could still just produce himself, but he needs an engineer or "executive producer" to push the project along, and some good writers to augment what I'm sure are some good Al-penned songs in the vaults. I have no doubt Al has enough built up tracks to just make a "Postcards 2" without having to record another note. Hopefully his club show point to Al getting more motivation to do more of his own stuff.

Someone needs to do a Kickstarter for Al to find enough money to pay Jeff Lynne to produce him.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:26:54 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »

He has Brian Wilson.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »

He has Brian Wilson.... Cool Guy

Unfortunately, I don't envision Brian, if approached by Al, writing and producing a full album for Al. Al would probably never ask of course.

Al seems quite content to just hang with Brian and be there for whatever Brian asks of him. Great for Al, great for their relationship. Not as great for folks who want to see more stuff from Al.

But the solo "storytellers" gigs are a good step. Hopefully we'll see either a live album culled from those shows, or some other recording project from Al.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »

In my opinion the only thing this song is missing is a robo-McGrath yelling “snowflakes, sunshine”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 06:36:26 AM »

Al's already on it.....

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 08:18:40 AM »

Rap Jardine! Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx