gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:45:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al’s New Christmas Song – “Sunshine to Snowflakes”  (Read 8737 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »

According to Al’s Facebook, he will be announcing a new Christmas single entitled “Sunshine to Snowflakes” today. It looks like it’s already up on digital vendors.

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0koOGcw9xRA

Here’s the cover art:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:49:40 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:00:51 AM »

No autotune!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:50:05 AM »

Thanks! Link doesn't work for me. But I guess that's because it is blocked in Germany. Will try it later.
I added the song also to the Christmas Rarities topic

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 08:14:46 AM »

Nice! Very bouncy, catchy.....great singing by Al too! Definitely no auto tune on this one!!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 08:32:38 AM »

Do we know who wrote this?  I like it!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 08:32:54 AM »

Here’s the announcement from aljardine.com:

Al Jardine's new single "Sunshine to Snowflakes," is a 60's flavored rockin’ tune that tells a unique Christmas story. Al is joined by his son, Matt, on gorgeous vocal harmonies and the song, penned by songwriter Deborah Arman Lent, was produced by Michael Lent, longtime guitarist for Barry Manilow. Come along for the ride as Al Jardine takes you on a West Coast to East Coast Christmas journey…sunshine to snowflakes!

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »

Here’s the announcement from aljardine.com:

Al Jardine's new single "Sunshine to Snowflakes," is a 60's flavored rockin’ tune that tells a unique Christmas story. Al is joined by his son, Matt, on gorgeous vocal harmonies and the song, penned by songwriter Deborah Arman Lent, was produced by Michael Lent, longtime guitarist for Barry Manilow. Come along for the ride as Al Jardine takes you on a West Coast to East Coast Christmas journey…sunshine to snowflakes!

Thanks!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 08:45:54 AM »

No autotune!

Disgraceful!  Grin

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »

The song is ok. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »

Song is nice, but man I love that part right after the 2:00 mark....Al's voice sounds so darn good there. I wonder if he tried to double-track his vocals on this, I think it would've given it more of that 60s feel they were going for.

Overall, it's a nice little tune. I hope it goes up on Apple Music at some point.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 10:26:56 AM »

I love it! Go Al!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »

The song can be streamed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0koOGcw9xRA

I haven't a chance yet to give it a good listen, but man, Al's voice sounds great as always. Hope he gets to record more leads for either a Brian album or an album of his own.

My first impulse it to say this one is better and a little bit less of a "novelty" sort of thing compared to 2015's "Hurry Up Hurry Up Santa Claus."

Above all, I dig that Al's staying active and putting stuff out. Al maintaining a solo career and *also* going full time in Brian's band is really the ideal scenario.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »

Beat's the hell out of "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo"! The question that begs to be asked is will myKe luHv listen to it?? Huh?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »

Do we know who wrote this?

"℗ 2017 Deborah Arman Lent"

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »

Thanks! Link doesn't work for me. But I guess that's because it is blocked in Germany. Will try it later.

Same here for NL. Angry

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »

Beat's the hell out of "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo"! The question that begs to be asked is will myKe luHv listen to it?? Huh?

Probably as soon as Brian & Al listen to Unleash the Love.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 01:42:37 PM »

I'm iffy on the lyrics, but man the overall sound is terrific. And Al sounds SO great!

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »

Can this be purchased anywhere, I don’t see it on iTunes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 07:11:57 PM »

Can this be purchased anywhere, I don’t see it on iTunes.

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0788CY2K8/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1513393804&sr=1-16&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Al+Jardine&dpPl=1&dpID=51xoPLPH7CL&ref=plSrch

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 10:03:25 PM »

The art looks so cheap and tacky. Couldn't they just use a photograph of Al as Santa or something?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:55:52 AM by Gabo » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 12:59:04 AM »

I now had the chance to listen to it. Al's voice is great, we know that.
But I don't think the song is that good and I hate the Beach Boys-parody like background vocal-arrangements. Mike uses stuff like that on his solo recordings (his new recording of "Alone on Christmas day" got destroyed by that imo) and Al at least in this case has done the same. I'm always up and happy for Al releasing new material. But I think he deserves much better than this (like NPP, that's how his voice should be used imo).
But not to forget, this isn't supposed to be a statement from Al as an artist but probably just a fun thing to do for him every now and then. Therefor I can appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:32:14 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 01:57:01 AM »

But I don't think the song is that good and I hate the Beach Boys-parody like background vocal-arrangements. Mike uses stuff like that on his solo recordings (his new recording of "Alone on Christmas day" got destroyed by that imo) and Al at least in this case has done the same. I'm always up and happy for Al releasing new material. But I think he deserves much better than this (like NPP, that's how his voice should be used imo).
But not to forget, this isn't supposed to be a statement from Al as an artist but probably just a fun thing to do for him every now and then. Therefor I can appreciate it.

What so you mean he deserves better? He didn't have to record it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 02:05:36 AM »

What so you mean he deserves better? He didn't have to record it.

I mean that Al always deserves great material. Imo he didn't get it here. Still, mind my last sentence in the above post.

- Jack Rieley
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 04:43:26 AM »

Al's voice is amazing without the qualifier "for a 75 year old guy" but when you add that, his voice is impossibly good. Not sure about the lyrics yet, but I do like the coast-to-coast aspect of the song. The beginning guitar riff reminds me of a less powerful version of the intro for It's A Beautiful Day.

The background vocals sound generic overall. I would love to hear some prominent bass background vocals and maybe some high-end harmonies in the mix as well, but Al never asked my opinion.
Half Moon Bay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 06:27:30 AM »

For those who cannot watch/listen to it on You tube (me included) It’s now out on Spotify! Al sounds great (as usual)!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx