gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:29:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best bootlegs to look into  (Read 5899 times)
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2017, 05:10:17 AM »

Not asking WHERE to find them or how to download them. Just asking for some feedback on what are some of the best-received boots. I've run out of official material.
I've never been a fan of unreleased/bootlegs but I found the 1993 Live at Paramount Unplugged show and absolutely love it. Hope that one day it becomes an official release, I'd take that any day over the Live in Chicago, Live in Sacramento, and the 50th Reunion CD.

Thank you.

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 06:36:29 AM »

For the serious fan, the SOT series, hands down.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 07:05:22 AM »

While stuff seems to come and go and drop off and reappear often, I'd say these days YouTube is a good way to get a sense for some of what you might like. Tons of live stuff on there, and some studio stuff too.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 01:56:02 PM »

Agreed with you tube.

Here's the thing...I support bootlegs...but only of unreleased or out of print material.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 12:14:33 AM »

It seems as though right now YouTube is indeed the best place to get a good scope of what's out there. All the old blogs seem to be gone/dead. But man,  the early 2000's were a great time for a fan new to bootlegs like I was. Those blogs were a God send.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »

It seems as though right now YouTube is indeed the best place to get a good scope of what's out there. All the old blogs seem to be gone/dead. But man,  the early 2000's were a great time for a fan new to bootlegs like I was. Those blogs were a God send.

There used to be a Yahoo group called BBMP3, members had access to FTP servers and tons of bootlegs (some folks may remember). And, wow, listening to all 18 discs of the Dumb Angel Rarities collection, for me as a relative newbie, that was like a complete alternate history of my favourite band. Of course, many of those tracks have been released officially since then, but in 2002 the market wasn't exactly saturated with archival Beach Boys releases as it is today. And I think Dumb Angel Rarities still has quite a lot of interesting officially unreleased stuff for the curious: Stevie, Carry Me Home, the Adult Child album, Landlocked, mid-70s BW demos... everything from the sublime to the ridiculous.
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »

Thank you for all the responses. I have all the Unsurpassed Masterpieces. Had not heard of the Dumb Angel discs, gonna have to look into it.  Smokin
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »

I recently downloaded "Live In Evansville 1996" and it sounds great!! Highly recommend.
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 12:09:59 PM »

One of my favorite easily downloadable ones is The Beach Boys Love You Deluxe Edition. It does include the actual album too, but the real valuable stuff are the bonus tracks on disc 1 and the alternate mixes, demos, Adult/Child, etc. on the other discs. A real treat for someone who's into the Love You period like I am.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:52:48 AM by Uncle Walter » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »

One of my favorite easily downloadable ones is The Beach Boys Love You Deluxe Edition. It does include the actual album too, but the real valuable stuff are the bonus tracks on disc 1 and the alternate mixes, demos, Adult/Child, etc. on the other discs. A real treat for someone who's into the Love You period like I am.

Are you talking about the one off of my blog by any chance?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »

He is. He linked to your blog before he edited it.
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 06:38:54 AM »

He is. He linked to your blog before he edited it.
I edited it because you're not allowed to link to bootlegs on this forum, but yes, that's the one I'm talking about. I listen to it a lot these days! I really like it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 11:51:07 AM »

Me too ..."whomever " the anonymous person was, they did a great job Wink

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »

I'm trying not to blush here, thank you!! Hopefully an even better set will surpass it in 2027! Wink

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 06:07:19 PM »

shhhh.... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 08:19:02 AM »

I Reccomend you fanclub videos dvd
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »

Fyi....Most of this stuff can be found on youtube,  and youtube links are ok. Discussing how to extract the audio into an mp3 isn't but I'm sure someone here knows how to do it. Very sure, in fact. Very very sure. 100% sure.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »

Around 1999/2000, I was obsessed with finding Smile bootlegs on Napster. Also, a guy I met at a Grandaddy concert in Dallas around 2002 was a huge Beach Boys fan. He gave me a copy of the Sea of Tunes Smile sessions. Of course, I bought the box set when it came out. The 2011 is much better quality. Today I am into Adult/Child and the 90s Wilson/Payley sessions.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:09:50 AM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx