gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:54:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who was the most spiritual of the Beach Boys?  (Read 14623 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »

So let's celebrate them then Debbie.  When they perform...all of the bad stuff disappears...at least for that length of time...plus the afterglow of that spiritual coming together when the cosmos and the stars contained therein sparkle.  For example...this show really caught the vibes in all their glory.  Everyone, including  Jeff who I sometimes slag a little for not being Carl [but then who is...vocally speaking or otherwise?], is delivering their A game and the collective spirit nails 'it' right in the bullseye.

Maybe...just maybe the most spiritual Beach Boy is the group...the band...the sum of the parts.  When they part the company they keep up on stage...the human factor vies for attention.  But when they do THIS....well...Hallelujah!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-tpbep6s70

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »

THIS is the SS message board.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 05:26:51 PM »

Agreed, Lee.  

My first real-life version of the BBs was in a huge hall in Kansas City in July 1964, waiting to get in (I Get Around was #1 then, for many weeks).  I was a child with understanding parents who dropped us off and picked us up - it was safe then. We lined up very dutifully, and suddenly we saw Brian and Mike peek out from behind a door at the crowd with so much joy on their faces seeing the huge crowd.  

We stayed in that formation when we suddenly saw Denny running down the stairs to a parking garage with screamy teenies running behind him - pretty funny.  A few minutes later, we heard the screams and could see Denny running down the hallway at the bottom of the stairs with the teenies behind him.  It's hard to describe, but visually it was hilarious.

Of course, when they actually opened the doors we all rushed to the front and I somehow ended up in the 2nd row, stage-center.  I didn't think of myself as aggressive, but apparently I had my moments.  The BBs performance was real and brilliant.  Yes, Brian hit those notes, guitar in hand and looking amazingly handsome.  Denny was slamming those drums in a way that really electrified all of us, and he did it well.  The harmonies were magnificent and Mike was a good MC for that time.

After the shows, they would stand behind little waist-high guards and sign autographs.  While I was working my way toward Brian I managed to get Denny's and Al's autographs, but they left before I got to Brian.

They have those memories of being demi-gods that many younger posters here didn't experience, nor could they possibly understand that part of their lives, understandably.  I can't even imagine maintaining a person's spirituality in that spotlight, but the seem to have managed, for the most part.  I admire their humanity and sweetness through all of that insanity.  

May each of them find their personal peace out of quite amazing experiences.

I have a strong sense that with all he's endured (and still has to experience with those voices in his head), Brian's in a safe space to enjoy having a lifetime as "Brian Wilson."  If you know how to read him, he makes that clear.  I think Al knows how much he loves his life and home.  I swear I felt Denny and Carl smiling down the first night Brian did "Smile" at RFH.  I hope Mike and Bruce find their own form of happiness.

Here's to them for the Holidays...

I agree, that Jeff and Ike are excellent singers, as are Matt, Darian, Taylor, Scott and others who have served this music.  Brian used to talk about his band  sounding "like angels."  As always, his metaphor was excellent.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:29:41 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2017, 05:41:26 PM »

Dennis was the man! LOL

But seriously, the BBs at the top of their game live in 1964 had to be amazing!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2017, 06:09:25 PM »

Dennis was the man! LOL

But seriously, the BBs at the top of their game live in 1964 had to be amazing!

I wish all of you could experience it.  Then again, I'm old an cranky and you get to be young! ;-) Everything's a trade off.

It was a truly a spiritual experience for little teens.  Many of us never got over it.  Pure brilliance, and spirituality.

I'm working my way through Lee's link.  I had 2 accidents the year of the reunion so actually missed it - couldn't drive due to a broken arm, etc. (so many of you were luckier there).

Hearing Denny doing "Forever" reminded me of when he came into the Ivar offices, so bright-eyed.  He asked me to book a flight for a woman named Barbara Cherron (he said, "yeah, her last name is Cherron" and he spelled it for me) plus a ticket for himself to Las Vegas.  I was happy to do it and I can't say I ever saw anyone look more in love.  Never mind that he had asked me to go to a movie with him the week before.  He made his point clear when he said, "and you can make me breakfast in the morning."  I loved his honesty.  Obviously destiny intervened and I wasn't going anyway ;-)

Stephen is far better at explaining the studio in those days with Carl.  But Carl did ask my opinion as a fan on a "Sunflower" mix and actually used my choice.  They knew their fans.

There was a sweetness with the Wilsons that is inexplicable.

The first time I was on SS board was when someone accused Brian of having a "relationship" with me when I was underage, so I had to respond.  I was 17 when he met me at the Ivar offices and we were both so in love with his music that we had a great discussion.  I mentioned that I had a copy of "John B Sebastian" at home.  He wanted to hear it and he offered me a ride home to hear it.

I lived across a small hallway with a single staircase adjoining Fred Vail's apartment.  The doors were nearly always open.  Brian and I listened to that record and loved it.  Then he went home.  He was a gentleman the entire time.

There is such a thing as human decency - and spirtuality.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2017, 06:45:08 PM »

OK...I'm not quite ready to put a match to the camp fire and join in on 'Kumbaya'.  Given that I wasn't a little girl...I preferred them after the change brought about following Jack's professionally inspired input as we headed into the 70s.  Even back in '64...and through the 60s...I found their live' thing to be just a little bit square/slightly off-putting.  Granted the music was terrific...although they were falling behind in terms of the fullness of the studio sound when it came to their live delivery by 68-69.  They just struck me as a little out of step with hip and cool until they sat their former 'front man' a little further away from the direct blaze of the main spotlight.

Needless to say I was less impressed when they went back out to tour 15 Big 1's.  By year 50 most of those annoying antics and gesticulations had thankfully faded into the past.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2017, 08:47:28 PM »

My first real-life version of the BBs was in a huge hall in Kansas City in July 1964, waiting to get in (I Get Around was #1 then, for many weeks) ...
Wow! Great post, Debbie.  Smiley

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2017, 03:47:12 AM »

I have a strong sense that with all he's endured (and still has to experience with those voices in his head), Brian's in a safe space to enjoy having a lifetime as "Brian Wilson."  If you know how to read him, he makes that clear.  I think Al knows how much he loves his life and home.  I swear I felt Denny and Carl smiling down the first night Brian did "Smile" at RFH.  I hope Mike and Bruce find their own form of happiness.

That's really lovely, Debbie. Tears-to-the-eyesville.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »

A wonderful story, Stephen! Thank you!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2017, 04:34:10 PM »

OK...I'm not quite ready to put a match to the camp fire and join in on 'Kumbaya'.  Given that I wasn't a little girl...I preferred them after the change brought about following Jack's professionally inspired input as we headed into the 70s.  Even back in '64...and through the 60s...I found their live' thing to be just a little bit square/slightly off-putting.  Granted the music was terrific...although they were falling behind in terms of the fullness of the studio sound when it came to their live delivery by 68-69.  They just struck me as a little out of step with hip and cool until they sat their former 'front man' a little further away from the direct blaze of the main spotlight.

Needless to say I was less impressed when they went back out to tour 15 Big 1's.  By year 50 most of those annoying antics and gesticulations had thankfully faded into the past.

I wasn't expecting you to relate to being a 12-yr-old girl in those days, Lee... ;-) I guess my attempt failed at showing what these really, really young guys were experiencing from the young girls in the audience.  And they did sound great in those days.  Brian live, sounding like that, need I say more?

While I was several years older when I met Jack, he didn't especially like me (understandably) at the time.  I was still no sophisticate.  But I loved the evolution of the band in the late 60's/early 70's. We little teenies did grow up and learn...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:37:26 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2017, 05:09:47 PM »

Wow, tremendous input in this thread, thank you all! What I started on a whim has turned into something really good and meaningful here. Whoever is the most spiritual of the BBs, and by now, I am convinced that their collective sound is what matters, it could be interesting to compare them with another musician who is always talking about spirituality, Carlos Santana. Before I became a BB fan, I was an avid fan of Santana, and the band is still way up there, in my book. But just as Brian can be difficult to interview with his terse yes/no replies, so can Carlos, in his own idiosyncratic way. Where the BB's for the most part keep their spiritual search and beliefs to themselves, preferring to let it shine through the music, Carlos is always talking about spirituality, spouting metaphors and talking cryptic. I don't doubt for a minute he means it and lives it, but the BBs quiet, humble way seems to me to be easier to absorb and admire.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2017, 06:22:55 PM »

Yes we did Debbie...even us 'boys'... ... ...eventually.  LOL

GoogaMooga...I found Carlos to be a warm, caring, sharing kinda fella.  Down to earth yet entirely spiritual in a sincere/secure kind of way.  In his own way...Carl was most like THAT.  Mike wanted to be...but...posing ain't being.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:13:19 PM by Add Some » Logged

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2017, 07:18:08 PM »

Yes we do Debbie...even 'boys'... ... ...eventually.  LOL

GoogaMooga...I found Carlos to be a warm, caring, sharing kinda fella.  Down to earth yet entirely spiritual in a sincere/secure kind of way.  In his own way...Carl was most like THAT.  Mike wanted to be...but...posing ain't being.

Thanks, Lee and GoogaMooga.  I loved Jack's lyrics (and was actually bright and literate enough at that point to understand the context and inferences).  I also watched the attacks on Jack swirling around me on Ivar.  Did he misrepresent his "Pulitzer Prize?"...probably.  I still loved the lyrics and Jack was a great guy...and he was right about me.  I was a goofy fan with a good brain who was afraid to express myself, except to Brian and Dennis. 

I'm glad Carl protected Jack for so long.  Jack was a real talent.  Van Dyke was Brian's amazing expression of what needed to be addressed.  Jack was Carl's.  If only...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »

Undecided Memoir coming? 

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »

Undecided Memoir coming? 
How great would that be? Happy Dance

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2017, 12:08:01 AM »

I thought I was one of the few who liked Jack's lyrics and what he brought to the group. Sure, his background was sketchy, but does that matter when he did so many great things for The Beach Boys? Oh, how I wish Carl(and Dennis and Brian) had had an ally in Jack once the "TM axis" took hold. Things may have been very different.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2017, 05:19:38 AM »

No Jay...I'm with you.  Jack helped the Boys realize some important goals and attain some previously unreachable heights.  With Brian pulling back...Carl and then Dennis had contributions to help keep the creativity factor going while holding the cheerleaders at bay.  Jack Riley and Gregg Jakobson were important in helping to make it work.  Factor in Brian with Tony and then Van Dyke...and THAT'S when the band rose above the throng and, with that instrumentation, those lyrics, melodies, arrangements and THOSE VOICES, stood alone as creative innovators... ... ...and... ... ...truly... ... ...COOL.
--------------

OMmmmmmmm
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:29:11 AM by Add Some » Logged

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »

Undecided Memoir coming? 

I'm probably too busy and lazy to write a memoir, and much of it actually wouldn't be BB's related. 

My life has been quite a bizarre journey - NY FBI agents at my door in 1996 over TWA 800 investigation as an example.

I'm old and dull now, though.

I was kind of hoping that someone might put together my posts here and on BW Tour page, plus emails. I think that's probably too much to ask, so I may have to get to work...damn...
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »

I want to add my thanks to you Stephen for the wonderful Carl story - and on a date so close to his birthday.

I wish a special Christmas wish to come your way. -Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2017, 06:19:40 AM »

Great story, Stephen!

Debbie, I loved your posts, too.

Thanks to both for sharing these stories with us  Smiley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2017, 07:19:51 AM »

Stephen, thank you so much for writing all that up. And Debbie, as always your stories help make this band come alive. We’re honored to have you both posting here!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2017, 05:02:26 AM »

I'm old and dull now, though.

Nonsense, Debbie. I always enjoy reading your (and Mr Desper's) fascinating posts, glimpses into an extraordinary past...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2017, 08:07:16 AM »

Undecided Memoir coming? 

I was kind of hoping that someone might put together my posts here and on BW Tour page, plus emails. I think that's probably too much to ask, so I may have to get to work...damn...

I'll do it!  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx