gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:29:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 183512 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 17, 2019, 11:49:11 PM »

Great article and interview! Now THAT is how to get the word out about releases like this. I'm so glad to see RS run this piece so people outside the BB's fan bubble can know it's available. I think sometimes this fanbase exists too much inside its own bubble unless something gets picked up and distributed to outlets like RS.

Re: The article, this section:

>>>>What was Brian’s level of involvement with these sessions originally?
Boyd: Brian was very much involved in Friends — he was still basically running the show. He even finished the album after the boys had left to go on tour. At that point, the Beach Boys were sooo far behind on their contract with Capitol because of that long period of time between Pet Sounds and the eventual release of Smiley Smile. They were still playing catch-up. By the spring of ’68 , an album had to be turned in. Same thing with 20/20 — there was a major flurry of activity to finish that one in time to get it to Capitol before they launched a major tour of Europe. But Brian was very much involved in Friends. He pretty much produced it.

Linett: Even [songs] we’d probably say were co-produced, like Dennis’ “Little Bird,” were still more Brian producing. Not a whole lot different than earlier group recordings. The exception here is there are a lot of session players on the basic tracks, as opposed to Wild Honey and Smiley Smile.<<<<

A very big thank you to Mark and Alan for truly setting the record straight on this specific issue, and doing so in a major music publication. I hope this can be one of the definitive statements of fact on this issue of Brian's involvement in the music, and a validation of sorts for those who had to argue this very fact over the past 15 years or so in various online jousting matches over how involved Brian was in the music from 67-68. Thank you.

And now, Craig, you can truly thank Mark and Alan in their endeavors toward providing both current and future copyright extension releases of this wonderful music by purchasing all three 1968 sets.

To somewhat paraphrase a very popular song from a year prior to these 1968 releases, "it will be worth it, if not only for the benefit of this and future Beach Boys releases from the vault, but for your own peace of mind."

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 18, 2019, 01:23:45 AM »

Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: January 18, 2019, 05:12:49 AM »

Off the top of my head, other than Transcendental Meditation I cannot think of another "BBs" track that has all Brian harmonies, other than the unreleased Don't Talk intro. (I'm excluding tracks like Caroline, No, since it's just a lead vocal with no harmonies).

Is there another example I'm missing?

The first one that pops in my head is "The Surfer Moon".

I did not realize that was a Wall of Brians, very cool, I'll have to relisten!

Not a 'wall' per se, but he does sing harmony (unlike "Caroline, No"). Beautifully sung!

Edit: "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" is, what, like 90% Brian? Maybe more.

And of course Mike sang the alternate verse lead that wasn't used on the album.

I think Mike's vocal take on that is great. Guess I like it better than Brian's lead. It just sound so good.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 18, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »

A review from Rolling Stone 1/18/2019 ...
Review: Beach Boys Plumb Vaults for Post-‘Pet Sounds’ Gems
Heavenly acapellas, covers, stoner ramblings, and other rarities from the 1968 ‘Friends’ and ’20/20′ sessions are spruced up and issued on the latest digital dump from the band’s fabled vaults.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/review-beach-boys-plumb-vaults-for-post-pet-sounds-gems-780314/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: January 18, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »

Off the top of my head, other than Transcendental Meditation I cannot think of another "BBs" track that has all Brian harmonies, other than the unreleased Don't Talk intro. (I'm excluding tracks like Caroline, No, since it's just a lead vocal with no harmonies).

Is there another example I'm missing?

The first one that pops in my head is "The Surfer Moon".

I did not realize that was a Wall of Brians, very cool, I'll have to relisten!

Not a 'wall' per se, but he does sing harmony (unlike "Caroline, No"). Beautifully sung!

Edit: "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" is, what, like 90% Brian? Maybe more.

Yeah...and another one that's close to that is "I'm Waiting For The Day". I used to think that was all Brian, but the track sheets indicate that Mike is singing the bass voice (doubled, I think, by Brian). And of course Mike sang the alternate verse lead that wasn't used on the album.
Carl too, singing the lower part of the "ahh-be-doo-be-doo" with Brian.

Not sure about that...the track sheet is labeled with only Brian's and Mike's names, so I'm thinking there's no Carl on that one.
You can hear him at the end of the take in the stack-o-vocals mix though, just by himself for a second. They're singing into the same mic and that's definitely not Mike. Could those vocals have been done at another session?

I'm not sure it isn't Mike, singing in his tenor voice. It lacks the nasality one usually associates with him, but I think that particular quality normally comes into play when he sings higher. If this is his "normal" voice, between the bass or low baritone parts and the higher nasal tone that he's best known for, it could be him.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 19, 2019, 07:17:57 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:03:04 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 20, 2019, 03:39:19 AM »

I'm with c-man here. Could be a non-typical Mike.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 20, 2019, 04:19:34 AM »

Getting back to the thread.........is there no word of the " On tour" live tracks being released in UK yet?

. Having heard them on Spotify, I would like to buy a couple of concerts
JonEverett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 20, 2019, 09:14:14 AM »

Getting back to the thread.........is there no word of the " On tour" live tracks being released in UK yet?

. Having heard them on Spotify, I would like to buy a couple of concerts

I'll second this. Not on Quboz whereas the other two are.
Really want to buy it rather than a dubious download!!
Jon
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 20, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »

Nah, Mike could sing without getting nasal but this is 300% not him: https://clyp.it/sn5gcdpf  Is a more likely explanation not just the paperwork being wrong?

That is 300% Mike
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 20, 2019, 11:10:32 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:02:57 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: January 20, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »

That's Dennis
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 21, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »

Next you're gonna tell me that's not Blondie singing Sail On Sailor Tongue

Seriously though, listen to the harshness on the very start of the "ahhh". It doesn't match up with Mike's vocal style or intonation, even on examples of his lighter mid-range vocals like Aren't You Glad or the Wonderful backing vocals. The voice there sounds at least several years younger than Mike. In fact, the main Wonderful backing vocal part is Mike doing wordless "ahhh"s in pretty much exactly the same range covering a lot of the same notes, and the tone's way off this part in IWFTD.

The nasal waver on the last "ahhh" is what gives away that it's Mike. And I have no idea what you're talking about re: Aren't You Glad and Wonderful because Mike's vocals on there sound exactly as they do here. It doesn't sound like anyone else in the band. I've always heard the "duh duh duh" part as Mike too.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 22, 2019, 11:57:28 AM »

https://world.wng.org/2019/01/new_or_recent_albums
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 29, 2019, 03:09:47 PM »

I know I'm "late to the party", but I wanted to post my comments.

I'm an old-timer now, and had never purchased downloadable music until this week.  I got a new phone and, after screwing up several attempts to purchase the new studio sets, finally successfully got them into my hot little phone yesterday.  I want to add my thanks to Mark and Alan for putting this beast together and making it available.

My review is simple - WOW!!!

Especially love the Friends material, it's absolutely breath-takingly gorgeous!  Old Folks at Home/Old Man River, Walk On By, Can't Wait Too Long - HOLY LORD, so much beautiful stuff!  Dennis coming of age, Brian blowing my mind, Carl blossoming - this stuff is indescribably stupendous!  I'm glad to contribute my piddly $35 to the cause!

Thanks a thousand times over!  Makes me want to resurrect my old fanzines! 
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 29, 2019, 03:47:41 PM »

There's a "life lesson" in these releases.  Sometimes life can get you down, there are times when the future looks bleak and we can get to the point where there may not seem to be much point in the whole mess.  But then something truly wonderful happens, something unexpected, something that seems like a gift from God.  This release is a gift from above, through the hands of Mark, Alan, Howie, and anyone else involved.  We all should appreciate it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 29, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »

There's a "life lesson" in these releases.  Sometimes life can get you down, there are times when the future looks bleak and we can get to the point where there may not seem to be much point in the whole mess.  But then something truly wonderful happens, something unexpected, something that seems like a gift from God.  This release is a gift from above, through the hands of Mark, Alan, Howie, and anyone else involved.  We all should appreciate it.

+1
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 12, 2019, 01:18:34 PM »

technically the 20/20 sessions digital release last year jumped the 50 year copyright extension gun, since while Friends LP was 1968 (for Wake The World sessions), 20/20 originally was 1969

so now that we're over a month into 2019 what (other) 1969 material still needs such extended copyright protection?  BreakAway

that would seem to be it.  with a stretch one could include the UK 45 single version of Cottonfields which's of course a 1970 release there (recorded in 1969).  the US 45 also is a 1970 release but it's the 20/20 version which's already been covered on the sessions.  over a year went by for them to release it as a single from the album (probably a capitol move, although that doesn't exactly explain why Al went ahead with his revised recording)

so mssrs boyd & linnet could take a breather and give us nothing more until 2020, for the copyright extension release of Sunflower material.  And there's certainly a ton there

With that overload my conjecture is some of it (sunflower)--that which's known to have earlier recording dates--could jump the gun and come out at the end of this year.  while the other half of material would be a 2020 copyright extension release.  that fragments sunflower so maybe they'll scotch my idea.  a quandary with no singularly good answer

p.s.:  it seems confusion could be had between the calendar year 2020, vs. the title of the beach boys album

wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 12, 2019, 02:09:32 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:02:03 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 12, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »

actually I think it's neither, since recording sessions for a song can span years (cabinessence certainly wasn't entirely 1968)

copyright, or more accurately publishing date are the official base
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:25:30 PM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: February 13, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »

I don't think the copyright extension issue is that simple. It involves mainly copyrighting of physical recordings, and then the rules pertaining to those also involve those recordings as essentially "work product" towards a copyrighted end product. Technically, only previously unreleased compositions need to be protected. Note that "Big Beat '63" is full of mostly unreleased tracks (e.g. "Thank Him"), and avoids alternate takes of a bunch of 1963 BB songs already found on albums.

When subsequent "copyright extension" releases have gone beyond that prompt and have included alternate takes of familiar, previously-releases songs (this began with the 2014 "Keep and Eye on Summer" collection), they're basically just doing so to make the release more interesting and fleshed-out for fans.

Regarding timing, the easiest solution to avoid any possible hiccups is to beat the 50-year deadline on the song's first sessions.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 13, 2019, 01:44:01 PM »

copyright of a composition vs. copyright of the recording, an interesting distinction

brings to mind Brians I'M WAITING FOR THE DAY which had a copyright in 1964 but not recorded (for Pet Sounds) until 1966 (with the usual Mike Love tampering with the lyrics).  what was submitted for copyright back in 1964, a title and a written lyric?  probably.  a chord sheet or note chart?  probably not
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 27, 2019, 05:23:48 PM »

On the alternate version of when a man loves a woman I notice there is quite a bit of static when the backing vocals come in,
 is this because the tape is damaged? Any guesses? I'm just curious
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: July 30, 2019, 08:12:42 AM »

Sorry, probably posted already, but who is playing drums on "Be Here In The Morning Darling"? Fantastic!

Been listening to this track lately and can't help but think it would fit in perfectly as background music for Curb Your Enthusiasm.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:13:14 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 02, 2019, 12:26:12 AM »

Are there any rumblings regarding anything from 1969 coming out this year?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx