gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:15:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 183503 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 29, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »

I don't think any of the guys were touring in 1069.....

Everybody's gone serfin'....  Grin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:41:00 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: December 29, 2018, 04:58:27 PM »

THAT'S the funniest thing I've seen in awhile!  Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: December 29, 2018, 05:53:00 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 31, 2018, 05:58:54 AM »

The best TV game "What's My Line" features dear charming Bennett Cerf as panelist (favorite with my funny gal Arlene Francis :D), Random House Publishing co-founder. He'd written humorous books with puns, iirc played around with title dubbing book "Cerfboard" during the surf craze in the early 60s. Could be different name pun but similar, to be sure.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: December 31, 2018, 07:43:01 PM »

Serf's Up mmm mmmm mmmm aboard a feudal wave

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 31, 2018, 08:05:13 PM »

LOL
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 07, 2019, 04:38:43 PM »

For the Live in London release, which songs came from which shows?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 04:39:15 PM by Bicyclerider » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: January 07, 2019, 07:18:00 PM »

The LP consists of an entire single show. The other three shows are now available as part of the download.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 07, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »

The LP consists of an entire single show. The other three shows are now available as part of the download.

So the Lp was the Finsbury Park first show?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: January 07, 2019, 08:24:11 PM »

So the Lp was the Finsbury Park first show?

Second show.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 07, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »

Let me just note how great Bluebirds Over the Mountain is in concert - never was a fan of the 20/20 cut or single but it rocks live!!

The Palladium first show All I Want to Do is killer as well.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 08, 2019, 01:33:42 AM »

Just a hunch but since so few people has heard Friends at the time it’d be easier to pass that stuff off as new material. Purely a guess

You might be on to something!  Lots of people would probably have still remembered "Don't Worry Baby", for instance.
There actually was a cover of "Don't Worry Baby" with an entirely different verse. I can't for the life of me remember who did it though. I believe it was recorded in the early 70's. I wonder if it was related to this project at all, or if it was just rewritten by one of the members of the group? The verse goes something like this:

"Each morning I awake and see the sunlight, softly shining on her hair
And then I realize I'm wrong in thinking that she really doesn't care
There's magic in her eyes, that makes me come alive when she says...."

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 08, 2019, 02:13:18 AM »

@JAY.....The Tokens
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 08, 2019, 02:17:29 AM »

And..........while writing about 1968 ---- there has still not been any release  in UK of the LIVE ON TOUR 1968 shows.  ( yrs, I know Spotify has them.....thats why I wd like to buy,  a couple of the concerts in particular are incredible
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 08, 2019, 04:32:33 AM »

Yes Lincoln and Chicago are standouts.
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 08, 2019, 08:35:25 AM »

Regarding the Live In London recordings, in an interview played recently on BBC Radio 4, following his death, recording engineer Geoff Emerick said that the sound of the London Palladium Beach Boys show that he recorded was terrible as the Beach Boys drummer was too loud. So he recorded the band again at their Finsbury Park Astoria shows and this time put the drummer behind a glass screen and got a perfect recording.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0001s05
Geoff Emerick best known for his studio work with The Beatles of course
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:18:06 AM by chrisb » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 08, 2019, 09:44:11 AM »

@JAY.....The Tokens
Thank you!  Grin It was driving me crazy. I think this might have been one of the songs for the project. I've found quite a few covers of the song with that verse. B.J. Thomas did a version, Bryan Ferry did one, and Bruce/California Music  did covers of the song with that verse.

superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 08, 2019, 11:03:23 AM »

Has anyone figured out why the verse background vocals for Time To Get Alone are missing on the a cappella track on the set? Treasure trove of amazing material, this was the only thing I'm really wishing we got!
monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 08, 2019, 11:14:27 AM »

Are any other bands doing these Copyright Extension releases?
Seems like there would be an epidemic of them for other contemporary bands, but I've only heard of the Beach Boys' releases.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 08, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »

Seems like there would be an epidemic of them for other contemporary bands, but I've only heard of the Beach Boys' releases.
That's a very good question, and point to make. I know that The Beatles did one release for the year 1963, and I think Bob Dylan did one release in similar fashion, but I don't know if any other band that's doing it. I dearly wish that The Who would jump on the bandwagon, so to speak.

monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 08, 2019, 11:51:53 AM »

That's a very good question, and point to make. I know that The Beatles did one release for the year 1963, and I think Bob Dylan did one release in similar fashion, but I don't know if any other band that's doing it. I dearly wish that The Who would jump on the bandwagon, so to speak.

You're right. I do remember the Bob Dylan one where Columbia put out only like a hundred copies of a copyright-extension release.  .. Only the BBs seems to get a big thoughtful releases (Thank god!)   Rhino already got ahead of the game by re-re-releasing every Monkees album 2-3 times with more tracks each time.
I just don't understand why there's not an epidemic of releases from so many famous bands of the time.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 08, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »

My question is, what happens to all the existing material from bands that have missed the deadline for each year? Do they legally still have a claim to the master tapes and material on said tapes? If a band or artist misses a deadline, but still wants to release some kind of collection of material from a specific year anyway, can they? If you can't tell already, I know next to nothing about the legal angle of things such as these.  LOL

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: January 08, 2019, 12:32:16 PM »

My question is, what happens to all the existing material from bands that have missed the deadline for each year? Do they legally still have a claim to the master tapes and material on said tapes? If a band or artist misses a deadline, but still wants to release some kind of collection of material from a specific year anyway, can they? If you can't tell already, I know next to nothing about the legal angle of things such as these.  LOL

I think this is a fair and interesting question. I'm not sure there's a definitive answer.

Indeed, let's say a band either already knows they have an unreleased recording of an unreleased song from, say, 1964 (or, alternatively, only just now discovers the 1964 recording), and has never released it, then what happens? If they have the only known copy, would they never release the thing because it would be immediately available for anyone to dupe and release because it's outside of copyright?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 08, 2019, 02:44:44 PM »

Having heard all of these 66-68 concert recordings, it’s surprising to me that all that time, they never played the complete version of “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”.  It was always a slightly abbreviated version, cutting the line “You know it seems the more we talk about it, it only makes it worse to live without it”.  I guess they didn’t start including that until the seventies.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:22:50 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 08, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »

@Rocky R.--- they did it in UK in late 60s. I saw it , heard it....and was a bit disappointed as Bruce sounded thin on his lines.The rest of it was great, including what Bruce did-- but that critical line proved too thin.  IMO
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx