gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:57:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 183509 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: December 15, 2018, 02:29:14 PM »

Has anyone seen a list of credits for the new live set -- and has anyone seen a press release for any of the three new sets?
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 15, 2018, 02:48:12 PM »

THE BEACH BOYS 1968:
Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine & Bruce Johnston
Compilation and New Mixes Produced by Mark Linett & Alan Boyd Edited, Mixed and Mastered by Mark Linett at Your Place Or Mine
Executive Producers: Matt D’Amico & Peter Fletcher
Original Recordings Produced by The Beach Boys Engineer: Stephen Desper
Brother Records, Inc: Jerry Schilling, President Session Research: Craig Slowinski
Special Thanks: Howie Edelson; Elliot Kendall; Ross Schwartz; Mark Kaplan; Pacific Title Archives; Stephen Kalinich; Al Gomes, Connie Watrous & The Rhode Island BB Posse; Brad Rosenberger; Les Prebilsky; Lee Dempsey; Andrew G. Doe; Margaret Gwynne; Betty Collignon Wright; Lori Lightfoot; Steve Latshaw; Panayiotis Bogdanos; Les Chan; Monty & Bailey Linett; David Beard & Endless Summer Quarterly
* New songs (unpublished)
Brian Wilson - New Executive Music (BMI) Dennis Wilson - Dennis Wilson Music (ASCAP) Al Jardine - Al Jardine Music (BMI)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:58:02 PM by yrplace » Logged
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 15, 2018, 02:48:29 PM »

THE BEACH BOYS 1968:
Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine & Bruce Johnston
Compilation and New Mixes Produced by Mark Linett & Alan Boyd Edited, Mixed and Mastered by Mark Linett at Your Place Or Mine
Brother Records, Inc: Jerry Schilling, President Session Research: Craig Slowinski
Special Thanks: Howie Edelson; Elliot Kendall; Ross Schwartz; Mark Kaplan; Pacific Title Archives; Stephen Kalinich; Al Gomes, Connie Watrous & The Rhode Island BB Posse; Brad Rosenberger; Les Prebilsky; Lee Dempsey; Andrew G. Doe; Margaret Gwynne; Betty Collignon Wright; Lori Lightfoot; Steve Latshaw; Panayiotis Bogdanos; Les Chan; Monty & Bailey Linett; David Beard & Endless Summer Quarterly
Brian Wilson - New Executive Music (BMI) Dennis Wilson - Dennis Wilson Music (ASCAP) Al Jardine - Al Jardine Music (BMI)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:27:30 AM by yrplace » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 15, 2018, 04:55:07 PM »

Thank you, Mark -- and thanks expecially for these packages! Does the live set have credits too? Thanks in advance.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 16, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »

THE BEACH BOYS 1968:

Thanks for this... is there one for the "wake the world" cd?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 16, 2018, 11:49:19 AM »

I think that one also applies to Wake the World.
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 16, 2018, 05:07:17 PM »

Question for Mark or anyone who knows: what happened to the background vocals in the accapella Time to Get Alone verses? I thought they existed in the multitracks, as they were present in the 2009's Summer Love Songs remix
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:15:14 PM by felipe » Logged
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 17, 2018, 09:33:24 AM »

I'm really enjoying both the Friends and 20/20 releases. We're definitely very lucky to have such great archivists watching over the BB legacy and I can't wait to see what we get in 2019!

One thing I'm really gleaning from the Friends release is just how much Brian seems to have been involved. I know his input didn't just vanish and that it declined as the 60's became the 70's - but the snippets I'm hearing are of an engaged and enthusiastic Brian.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:13 AM »

Please let me know if the Live 68 set is still not available overseas and which countries have the issue so I can let Capitol know.

ALso if the 66 or 67 sets ae still not available in the UK.

Thanks

Mark
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 17, 2018, 08:47:32 PM »

Queries:

1. Why hadn't the 1966 Track Mix for CIFOTM been released previously? Is it a new discovery?

2. Is it Stephen Desper on the talkback (e.g. Meant For You)?

I can try to answer #1. Alan B., are you still reading? This is the IIGS I heard on one of Durrie's acetates. If this was the source, then I understand. There was a quick search for those acetates back in the day but they weren't found, so it was thought they were no longer in existence. Then in 2012 several acetates were discovered when her storage locker was cleaned out.  So that was obviously after the box set came out.

I listened to all of the acetates, and this IIGS was on one of the H&V acetates. It wasn't the only unique piece on that acetate, so I'm curious as to why the other pieces didn't make it out.
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 18, 2018, 12:26:53 AM »

Please let me know if the Live 68 set is still not available overseas and which countries have the issue so I can let Capitol know.

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark,
The Live 68 set doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet (not on Amazon, Google Play or 7digital). The 66 and 67 sets do seem to be available though.
Thanks for looking into this!
Rob

Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 18, 2018, 01:48:37 AM »

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark
In Italy only the 68 live set is not available. 66, 67 and the latest 68 studio sessions are available to purchase.
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:49:03 AM by Vale » Logged

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 18, 2018, 02:25:10 AM »

I bought in UK the sessions Wake the World....and I can hear music.

Live sets nowhere to be found EXCEPT Spotify. 

Must say, the sound quality is amazing, especially the Palladium and Finsbury Park. Feels like you are on stage with the band ( and those UK shows seem best IMO because the support musicans add such a lot and the BB sing sooooo well ).
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 19, 2018, 08:08:05 PM »

Why am I the only one fascinated in the Workshop connection with Our New Home
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: December 19, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »

I am too...I thought others had noticed it already!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 19, 2018, 09:05:56 PM »

I'm hearing the same rhythm of the chords and similar instrumentation for the keys, but the chords don't sound the same to me. The chord structure IS actually the same chords as Our Sweet Love. Haven't seen anyone mention that on these boards yet, but it's been discussed elsewhere. I'm working on syncing up the two but it's not finished yet...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:06:51 PM by superunison » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 20, 2018, 08:57:18 AM »

If these recordings reveal anything to me, it's the clear necessity for a complete remix of the Friends album. The mixing on several tracks, notably the title track and Little Bird is really unbalanced and muddy when compared to these released backing tracks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: December 20, 2018, 10:10:34 AM »

I'm hearing the same rhythm of the chords and similar instrumentation for the keys, but the chords don't sound the same to me. The chord structure IS actually the same chords as Our Sweet Love. Haven't seen anyone mention that on these boards yet, but it's been discussed elsewhere. I'm working on syncing up the two but it's not finished yet...

Looking forward to hearing it...let us know how it turns out!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MsBecca
« Reply #468 on: December 20, 2018, 10:32:49 AM »

Friends was already my favorite album but now I think it is their best album with Brian Wilson’s best singing . I am grateful for these sets
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 20, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »

Friends was already my favorite album but now I think it is their best album with Brian Wilson’s best singing . I am grateful for these sets

I love most of Brian's singing on it, but those "it's cooool!" Brian-sung vocal parts in the Transcendental Meditation a capella track are... interesting  LOL

Not that those parts don't have their charm, but I was playing this new set on Spotify over nice speakers for a friend (who's a casual BBs fan that I'm trying to convert to more of a fan of their deeper cuts), and I had to do quite a bit of explanation about that song and Brian's quirkiness in general when those parts came on. My friend's eyes bugged out when she first heard the "it's cooool" parts.  Shocked

Just for this song alone, I'd have to disagree that it's Brian Wilson’s best singing on an album. IMHO. But for other Friends tracks though I'd agree that Brian sounds really awesome.

Side note: I wonder if Transcendental Meditation with all the stacked Brian voices was intended as a temp guide track (much like the stacked Brians on the Don't Talk unused intro), and if Brian had intended for The Boys to replace his vocals, but just said screw it and kept his own.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:40:03 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: December 20, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »

Hmm...I’m actually going to disagree as I actually like that part! LOL

Out of curiosity, what’d she say about the set in general?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 20, 2018, 11:51:30 AM »

Hmm...I’m actually going to disagree as I actually like that part! LOL

Out of curiosity, what’d she say about the set in general?

I kinda like it too, but in a "that's such a funny/rad little Brian bit" type of way, not in an "it's actually objectively good" kind of way  LOL  It's almost a precursor of Brian's Love You wacky type of things that he threw into songs in later years, but it's hard to compare the "it's cool" vocal (admittedly, just a small part of one song) to his flawless vocals on albums like Pet Sounds. But yeah, it's all just opinion!

I didn't play her the whole set, just parts of it, but she was definitely impressed! I actually can't wait to do a proper sitdown listening party with a BBs friend or two of the whole set. Man oh man I wish this was on vinyl instead of the unnecessary Philharmonic album, but I'm nevertheless extraordinarily grateful this stuff was released at all!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 20, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »

It is my second favorite Beach Boys album behind Pet Sounds. This set has been illuminating but I just wish it had been given a physical box set! That being said, I'm so grateful for the tracks and that we are actually getting anything relating to this album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 20, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »

The chord structure IS actually the same chords as Our Sweet Love. Haven't seen anyone mention that on these boards yet, but it's been discussed elsewhere. I'm working on syncing up the two but it's not finished yet...

Same verse progression, different time signature.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 20, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »

Hey guys,

Wanted to share an updated version of my Passing By extraction mix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s5oim60tox0878/Passin%27%20By%20%28Brian%20Vocal%201972%29%20mix%202.mp3?dl=0

I added the intro as added by Brian and co (in 1972?  Smiley)

Also did a little tightening up on the timing editing on Brian's vocals. I'll admit, the editing was pretty intrusive there, but my goal was to make the listening experience as close to hearing what it would've sounded like if Brian took a real stab at it.

Sidenote - please don't read into the 1972 date too deeply. That said, if "Awake" was recorded in late '71 - I'd say there's a chance this is '72. Sounds more like the guy on the intro of "California" than the "Awake" guy. Same time, could've been an off day in '71.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx