gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:40:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 183470 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: December 10, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »

C-Man, this is a little off topic, but do you know if session tapes for the single version of "Cottonfields" still exist?

I beleive so, since it was remixed in stereo for the 2013 MIC box set.
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 10, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »

C-man tried asking this earlier, but does anyone know when the vocals were done at 5:47 on Been Way Too Long Sessions? They always sounded strange to me. Is it possible that they were done in 1980?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: December 10, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »

I think "I'm Confessin'" is "Lonely Days" ?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 10, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »

Child is the father of the man! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 10, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »

Child is the father of the man! Grin

What is most striking about this song being on this release: It reminds me so much of the backing track for some Friends songs. I mean, I know part of CIFOTM is in Little Bird, but the SMiLE music style is ever present in these Friends tracks. With Friends Brian regains some of that child-like magic he had in SMiLE, it still seems like a smaller production comparatively but it regains some of that sunshine that is glaringly missing from Smiley Smile.

So when I hear CIFOTM at the end of this set, it doesn't stick out much at all, it kinda fits right in there.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 10, 2018, 12:18:46 PM »

Alan Boyd and Mark Linett rule!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 10, 2018, 12:44:08 PM »

Also they're not going to appear on 7Digital anytime soon. They haven't updated the albums available since last month, and when I contacted them about this they said that they have no plans to add anything more for the foreseeable future.

7Digital isn’t selling new music anymore? Sad

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 10, 2018, 01:03:51 PM »

Alan Boyd and Mark Linett rule!

+1
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 10, 2018, 02:26:25 PM »

I haven’t read through the whole thread so I don’t know if anyone else has said it but man, Dennis’s vocal on “All I Want to Do” is far superior to Mike.  Should have put this version on the original album! https://youtu.be/5OK0rEvqHDQ

I'm curious to know the reasoning why Mike was chosen as the lead vocalist over the original Dennis vocal.  Mike's is sorta interesting, unlike anything else he's ever done, but objectively I just don't think it's as strong as Denny's, and I wonder if Denny just didn't have the self confidence to release that type of vocal for himself at that point, or what the reason was.

Well, actually Dennis is struggling to get this song right. Mike's voice (or technique) in that range is much fuller and strong, so I can see why he got the lead on that. While I like Dennis', it is certainly not as direct and in-your-face as Mike's.

I'd been meaning to say something like this as well Rocker. While I think having a Dennis lead on "All I Want To Do" is freaking awesome, it has made me re-investigate the song, and I have to say that Mike Love is the right singer for it. I think if one is able to try to forget its that litigious, money grubbing goofball you realize that his voice really cuts through on this cut in a way Dennis' voice didn't. It'd be like having a breathy Carl lead on "Heroes and Villains" rather than Brian's lead in my opinion. It just wouldn't work. Or at the least it'd be really different.

Agree with you both.  Fascinating to hear the new Dennis lead vocal.  His vocal sits very nicely on it--the feel and weight of his voice--everything clicks together.  But does it have the full punch this song needs?  Mike brings a palpable kinetic energy that I think locks in the song.  Had the key been lowered a step or so maybe some of those high notes would have worked better for Mike.  I do like Mike's "babaayy!" on the choruses. 

I'm glad I have both versions now and I'm sure I'll now always think about "the other cool version" whenever I'm listening to either one of them.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:27:11 PM by Justin » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: December 10, 2018, 03:09:19 PM »

C-man tried asking this earlier, but does anyone know when the vocals were done at 5:47 on Been Way Too Long Sessions? They always sounded strange to me. Is it possible that they were done in 1980?

Nope...I'm told that entire section is from one of the 1968 1" reels.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: December 10, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »

On those lines...any info on the 1980 version? Was it attempted or was it just rumored?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 10, 2018, 05:01:21 PM »

I haven’t read through the whole thread so I don’t know if anyone else has said it but man, Dennis’s vocal on “All I Want to Do” is far superior to Mike.  Should have put this version on the original album! https://youtu.be/5OK0rEvqHDQ

I'm curious to know the reasoning why Mike was chosen as the lead vocalist over the original Dennis vocal.  Mike's is sorta interesting, unlike anything else he's ever done, but objectively I just don't think it's as strong as Denny's, and I wonder if Denny just didn't have the self confidence to release that type of vocal for himself at that point, or what the reason was.
On the newly released take 2 with Dennis singing, there is actually a part from Mike that ended up on the released version, so I wonder if Mike was always going to be featured on the song somehow.

It's funny you say that because I swore I heard Mike after listening to it a few times, and I thought if I mentioned it here I would be told I was going crazy
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 10, 2018, 05:03:04 PM »

I went to the I to the I Tunes store and found 'I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions' is OUT NOW!  I was shocked
My question is will this be out on CD ?  Or just streaming  Huh Brian, Dennis, & Carl
Thank you, Billy, to combine Surfer's thread with this, main CE thread. To answer Surfer's question, it's digital download. At page 11 read instructions to do it.

Sth. to say about the press talk up et al - let's not make big deal. If the sessions didn't get announcement, it definitely isn't end of the world. Just take for granted that fact & enjoy listening to BBs' new collections.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: December 10, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »

On those lines...any info on the 1980 version? Was it attempted or was it just rumored?

Definitely attempted (I have the AFM sheet). But there was an just instrumental track, no vocals, recorded immediately after the KTSA sessions. However, it may or may not have actually been intended for The Beach Boys. It could possibly have been done for The Captain and Tennille, as it was recorded at Rumbo by their engineer at the time.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: December 10, 2018, 05:46:48 PM »

Definitely attempted (I have the AFM sheet). But there was an just instrumental track, no vocals, recorded immediately after the KTSA sessions. However, it may or may not have actually been intended for The Beach Boys. It could possibly have been done for The Captain and Tennille, as it was recorded at Rumbo by their engineer at the time.

Thanks!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 10, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »

Wow thanks for that info! Been curious about that forever!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 10, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »

Also they're not going to appear on 7Digital anytime soon. They haven't updated the albums available since last month, and when I contacted them about this they said that they have no plans to add anything more for the foreseeable future.

They are up at 7Digital now
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 10, 2018, 07:38:06 PM »

I'm blown away by the alternate "Bluebirds Over the Mountain"! It's sounds like a brand new song. Not sure that it would have performed any better as a single at the time, but I definitely prefer this version, by far.

My girlfriend is not usually a fan of the BB (though she loves Good Vibrations and Vega-tables among others), so much to my surprise I was just listening to the alternate Bluebirds Over The Mountain and she came in the room when it finished asking what song was that?  When I told her she was really surprised that it was The Beach Boys!  Pretty cool!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 10, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »

Did anyone else shed a tear listening to Audree singing "Is It True What They Say About Dixie?" I sure did.

What a sweet and truly lovely gift that Alan, Mark, and the powers that be gave us here. Thank you sincerely.

Speechless.
MaestroDavros
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 10, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »

Must have added them after I complained. Thanks for the info!  Grin
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 10, 2018, 08:24:27 PM »

Must have added them after I complained. Thanks for the info!  Grin

thank you for complaining!  kicked them in the butt.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: December 11, 2018, 12:32:22 AM »

If anyone was curious about the evolution of Even Steven to Busy Doin' Nothin'...
Brian used the same backing track with some modifications.  Part of the outro was spliced and used as the intro, some of the instrumentation was taken out of the mix, and everything was slowed down by around 8% (a bit more than a semitone).  The vocal for BDN must have been recorded over this new edited backing track, as the vocals on that do not appear to be slowed down.  Here is my approximation of the edits to Even Steven, ignore the slowed down vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/even-steven
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: December 11, 2018, 05:34:59 AM »

If anyone was curious about the evolution of Even Steven to Busy Doin' Nothin'...
Brian used the same backing track with some modifications.  Part of the outro was spliced and used as the intro, some of the instrumentation was taken out of the mix, and everything was slowed down by around 8% (a bit more than a semitone).  The vocal for BDN must have been recorded over this new edited backing track, as the vocals on that do not appear to be slowed down.  Here is my approximation of the edits to Even Steven, ignore the slowed down vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/even-steven

He also completely re-recorded the "B" section ("Take all the time you need", etc.), at a slower speed, and edited that in.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 11, 2018, 08:43:17 AM »

Rookie question I'm sure, but I see there are two options: MP3 files and FLAC files. I know I can bring MP3s into ITunes very easily.
How do you listen to FLAC files? Do you need to convert them or something?

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 11, 2018, 01:06:44 PM »

Rookie question I'm sure, but I see there are two options: MP3 files and FLAC files. I know I can bring MP3s into ITunes very easily.
How do you listen to FLAC files? Do you need to convert them or something?

Depends on what you are using to listen to them with.  If you're playing them on a phone, then it doesn't matter what they sound like, so mp3 is for you.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx