gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:10:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 183473 times)
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 07, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »

Mindfuck:
The period of time from C50-tour til now = same as Surfin Safari til All I Want To Do

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: December 07, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »

Is "Well you know I knew" a Manson composition? Sounds like what I would imagine that would sound like. Beautiful though

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 07, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »

During the research and going through the archives for this project, were the Charles Manson tapes discovered and/or gone through? I know realistically there is no way they could ever be released officially, but I'm just wondering if the tapes were listened to, just to get a general idea of what's there.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2018, 12:43:46 PM »

kinda nice to see the 20-20 set and wake the world set ranked at this moment on amazon's pop digital downloads chart at #1 and #2.

killer releases.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2018, 12:50:40 PM »

Mindfuck:
The period of time from C50-tour til now = same as Surfin Safari til All I Want To Do

Whoa

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »

"Be Here In The Morning Darling" is wonderful. What is it? Is it an entirely different thing from "Be Here In The Morning"? Or is it a totally different backing track that the same lyrics were supposed to be applied to?

it took a few listens but it is indeed the same song. you can hum the melody right over this new track for the most part. amazing

I'm also floored by the backing track we got for the actual Be Here In the Morning. the choruses are especially lush and the bells give it a timely holiday vibe. that slide guitar is such a sweet effect too. anyone know who or what that is exactly?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:20:33 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 07, 2018, 01:29:52 PM »

Can we start the sunflower thread now  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 07, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »

"Be Here In The Morning Darling" is wonderful. What is it? Is it an entirely different thing from "Be Here In The Morning"? Or is it a totally different backing track that the same lyrics were supposed to be applied to?

it took a few listens but it is indeed the same song. you can hum the melody right over this new track for the most part. amazing

I'm also floored by the backing track we got for the actual Be Here In the Morning. the choruses are especially lush and the bells give it a timely holiday vibe. that slide guitar is such a sweet effect too. anyone know who or what that is exactly?

Craig lists Al Vescovo as guitarist so I'm guessing it's him playing the slide. Hopefully c-man can clarify.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2018, 02:02:31 PM »

I would assume it's a lap steel overdub.
Craig lists Al Vescovo as guitarist so I'm guessing it's him playing the slide. Hopefully c-man can clarify.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2018, 02:34:36 PM »

I figured it was probably Al on steel but can't figure out the "shimmery" effect he's using/getting. could be processed by Brian after the fact? this part is basically inaudible on the released version:

https://picosong.com/wjUiY/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:56:26 PM by bossaroo » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »

Still waiting for these to drop on us.7digital.com. They usually have good prices for high-rez versions of these sets. You just have to wait a day or two...

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »

here's a quick mashup of Be Here In The Morning/Darling. keep in mind they're in two different time signatures. had to stretch the original to fit the new track but they're in the same key, no pitch shifting here

https://picosong.com/wjUib/

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:04:01 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »

So incredibly thankful for these spectacular archival releases we've been getting in the past couple years!  Major thanks to Alan Boyd, Mark Linett, Jerry Schilling and all else involved on the Beach Boys team for making this possible.  Cool Guy
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 07, 2018, 05:26:58 PM »

here's a quick mashup of Be Here In The Morning/Darling. keep in mind they're in two different time signatures. had to stretch the original to fit the new track but they're in the same key, no pitch shifting here

https://picosong.com/wjUib/

That same mashup was playing in my head before you made it. Bravo, and it's fascinating, ain't it?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »

Has there been any press release put out on this? I've been looking, but haven't found one so far.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:24:36 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Austin Shields
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2018, 06:57:07 PM »

Does Be Here in the Morning Darling sound like a Murry-fied version of Be Here in the Morning to anyone? It has that certain Don Ralke/Sunrays sound to me.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »

Does Be Here in the Morning Darling sound like a Murry-fied version of Be Here in the Morning to anyone? It has that certain Don Ralke/Sunrays sound to me.

Good point, I can see that!  But I'm pretty sure if Don Ralke was involved, his name would be on the AFM contract, and it's not.  Smiley
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2018, 07:14:18 PM »

Speaking of "Be Here In The Morning", one missed opportunity I noticed was the lack of anything from the vocal overdub session...or even just an a cappella version, especially given that it featured Murry filling in for Mike.  Is there any chance of there being bonus session material like that on the download with the live material?
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 07, 2018, 07:47:43 PM »

So grateful for this release! Thanks to everyone involved!

One question - any chance there’ll be another release before the end of the year? I know they snuck in a 2nd volume of Sunshine Tomorrow after the first volume was out for awhile. I’m still hoping we’ll get the backing track for “We’re Together Again”.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 07, 2018, 11:14:55 PM »

I'm surprised how much Brian's voice had already changed by the time of that Passing By vocal.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2018, 12:55:21 AM »

Cman, do you have any insight on the provenance of the vocals at 5:47 on the Been Way Too Long Sessions? They’ve never sounded like vintage 1968 vocals to me. Is there a chance they’re from the 1980 Sessions?

I would assume it's a lap steel overdub.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2018, 06:53:34 AM »

I can't stop listening to "Even Steven"!!

This has somehow may an incredible track even more extraordinarily inventive for me. The faster tempo, more intent concentration on the rhythm and groovier vocals on the bridge if anything make it a more exciting track to me.

And I'm only a quarter of the way through the sets!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:56:28 AM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2018, 07:51:08 AM »

Queries:

1. Why hadn't the 1966 Track Mix for CIFOTM been released previously? Is it a new discovery?

2. Is it Stephen Desper on the talkback (e.g. Meant For You)?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:01:57 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »

Queries:

1. Why hadn't the 1966 Track Mix for CIFOTM been released previously? Is it a new discovery?

2. Is it Stephen Desper on the talkback (e.g. Meant For You)?

2. Depends on the track, and the voice - sometimes it's Steve Desper, but on "Meant For You", it's engineer Jim Lockert calling out the take number, and Murry is the other control room voice ("Brian...try better").
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2018, 11:31:21 AM »

Murry still giving him in sh*t in 1968? Poor guy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx