gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:16:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 182352 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 03:01:57 PM »

I wonder if we’ll get the full tape of the tag of ‘All I Want To Do’...may have to put an explicit content label on this one Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 03:02:34 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:13:53 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »

I wonder if we’ll get the full tape of the tag of ‘All I Want To Do’...may have to put an explicit content label on this one Grin
Photoshop a parental advisory sticker on 20/20! Grin 

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 05:49:58 PM »

AGD said he half-jokingly, but actually suggested a release of those tapes (which still apparently exist, both "performance takes"), and unsurprisingly the powers that be said nope.  It still blows my mind that Dennis slyly released the very first celebrity sex tape.  It may sound crass, but I'm legitimately surprised that it isn't more recognized as a notable first, because as far as I know it's a legitimate contender for holding that record. Firsts in media are pretty fascinating to me, and new ground was certainly broken!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:24:00 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »

He remembered to bring his woodie to the beach.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2017, 09:28:39 PM »

Doe suggested it to the powers that be.

Ok then. No wonder it didn't go anywhere.

Pardon me, I'm going to ring McCartney and demand he release the "Carnival Of Light" tapes. Anyone else want the number?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 09:46:49 PM »

Transcendental Meditation (vocals only) could be really interesting.

How many released, BBs album songs are there where the are a bunch of vocal harmonies, and Brian is the ONLY BB doing all of the singing on the *entire* song?

Would this be the only one? Songs like Caroline, No and Your Summer Dream aren't in the running since there are no harmony vocals.

Wipeout kinda doesn't count in my book; not a real BBs song, plus there's other vocalists on the song. I guess there's the non-album "Beach Boys" song from the late 80s, Barbie. We have the all-Brian Don't Talk intro snippet from the Pet Sounds Sessions, but that was of course never on an actual album. There have been claims of I Just Wasn't Made for These Times being all Brian (even the harmonies), but I thought that was debunked (even prior to the revelation that Denny is likely heard in bits of the lead).

Just for the unusual nature of this song alone, not to mention the fact that it's probably the only released BBs all-Brian harmony song, it should definitely get a vocals-only treatment.

Also... how about some sessions of Murry doing his vocal overdubs on Be Here in the Morning? That must be fascinating to hear. Maybe really awkward to hear the studio chatter too, I wouldn't count on much of it being released unedited. Not to mention hearing some isolated Murry singing vocals, if any exist (not sure if he sung into a separate mic, Mike Love style, or if he got around a single mic with the other Boys). Isolated Murry vox is something I doubt anybody has ever even thought of hearing before.

Lots of possibilities for odd curious on this set.

On songs only sung by Brian, isn't "I'm Waiting For The Day" one? I always thought he's doing all the backing vocals for the song, I could be wrong though.

Mostly but Carl's doing the lower harmony on the backing "aahhhh"s and Mike chimes in with the "baby don't you know" during the second verse, and also the "NO" responses in the tag but there's no way I would've realised that's not Brian without someone else pointing it out

The track sheets for "I'm Waiting For The Day" seem to indicate that all the vocals are Brian and Mike...meaning it would be Mike, not Carl, singing the lower harmony "aahhh's...and I'm pretty sure it's Brian singing the "baby don't you know" bit.

You definitely know more about this stuff than I do but on the Pet Sounds Sessions a capella mix at the end when everything other than the "ahhhh"s has faded out that's 100% Carl's voice...at least for the end anyway. I can buy Brian doing the "baby don't you know" but if so that's the best Mike impression he ever did.

It's amazing on some sections of Pet Sounds, especially, to find out just how many of those stacked voices are Brian's. he could cover each member's range and would do so, especially in 66-67.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 09:54:08 PM »

Transcendental Meditation (vocals only) could be really interesting.

How many released, BBs album songs are there where the are a bunch of vocal harmonies, and Brian is the ONLY BB doing all of the singing on the *entire* song?

Would this be the only one? Songs like Caroline, No and Your Summer Dream aren't in the running since there are no harmony vocals.

Wipeout kinda doesn't count in my book; not a real BBs song, plus there's other vocalists on the song. I guess there's the non-album "Beach Boys" song from the late 80s, Barbie. We have the all-Brian Don't Talk intro snippet from the Pet Sounds Sessions, but that was of course never on an actual album. There have been claims of I Just Wasn't Made for These Times being all Brian (even the harmonies), but I thought that was debunked (even prior to the revelation that Denny is likely heard in bits of the lead).

Just for the unusual nature of this song alone, not to mention the fact that it's probably the only released BBs all-Brian harmony song, it should definitely get a vocals-only treatment.

Also... how about some sessions of Murry doing his vocal overdubs on Be Here in the Morning? That must be fascinating to hear. Maybe really awkward to hear the studio chatter too, I wouldn't count on much of it being released unedited. Not to mention hearing some isolated Murry singing vocals, if any exist (not sure if he sung into a separate mic, Mike Love style, or if he got around a single mic with the other Boys). Isolated Murry vox is something I doubt anybody has ever even thought of hearing before.

Lots of possibilities for odd curious on this set.

On songs only sung by Brian, isn't "I'm Waiting For The Day" one? I always thought he's doing all the backing vocals for the song, I could be wrong though.

Mostly but Carl's doing the lower harmony on the backing "aahhhh"s and Mike chimes in with the "baby don't you know" during the second verse, and also the "NO" responses in the tag but there's no way I would've realised that's not Brian without someone else pointing it out

The track sheets for "I'm Waiting For The Day" seem to indicate that all the vocals are Brian and Mike...meaning it would be Mike, not Carl, singing the lower harmony "aahhh's...and I'm pretty sure it's Brian singing the "baby don't you know" bit.

The third vocal OD by Mike is when the "Baby Don't You Know" and the "No!" and "Uh Huh" interjections in the tag were recorded, as well as some unused stuff in the middle.  This can be heard crystal clear on the SOT bootleg.  It's definitely him.  Also I've never seen (or heard) any convincing evidence that Brian is doing all of the backing vocals, though I concede that he might have done most of them.  Wouldn't there have to be a tape bounce done before the lead vocal was recorded for that to be the case?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:54:37 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 10:25:27 PM »

Doe suggested it to the powers that be.

Ok then. No wonder it didn't go anywhere.

Pardon me, I'm going to ring McCartney and demand he release the "Carnival Of Light" tapes. Anyone else want the number?

I'll make the call, I'm  busy having phone sex with Mandy Moore shh don't tell the wife

Seriously though, I thought that was a bit rich.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »

Dammit Billy! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:13:39 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2017, 01:58:12 PM »

Just more proof he was doing Wall of Brians long before his solo career

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2017, 07:27:39 PM »

My wishlist:

1968 - Let's Be Friends

Disc One:
Friends Stereo Remix:
   1. Meant for You (2018 Stereo Remix)
   2. Friends (2018 Stereo Remix)
   3. Wake the World (2018 Stereo Remix)
   4. Be Here in the Mornin' (2018 Stereo Remix)
   5. When a Man Needs a Woman (2018 Stereo Remix)
   6. Passing By (2018 Stereo Remix)
   7. Anna Lee, the Healer (2018 Stereo Remix)
   8. Little Bird (2018 Stereo Remix)
   9. Be Still (2018 Stereo Remix)
   10. Busy Doin' Nothin' (2018 Stereo Remix)
   11. Diamond Head (2018 Stereo Remix)
   12. Transcendental Meditation (2018 Stereo Remix)
Friends Sessions: February-April 1968
   13. Meant for You (Long Version) (Alternate Mix)
   14. Friends (Session Highlights/Stereo Backing Track)
   15. Be Here in the Mornin' (Alternate Version)
   16. Little Bird (Session Highlights/Stereo Backing Track)
   17. Even Steven (Busy Doin' Nothin')
   18. Diamond Head (Session Highlights)
   19. Transcendental Meditation (A Cappella)
   20. Ol' Man River (Session Highlights/Alternate Version)
   21. Walk on By (Alternate Version)
   22. My Little Red Book (Demo)
   23. New Song (Doves of Peace/Indian Wisdom)
   24. All I Wanna Do (First Version)
   25. You're as Cool as You Can Be
   26. Our Happy Home
Friends Live:
   27. Friends (Live 1968)
   28. Wake the World (Live 1968)
   29. Little Bird (Live 1968)
Additional Recordings:
   30. Friends (1972 Version)
   31. Wake the World (1972 Version)
   32. Passing By (1972 Version)
   33. Be Still (1972 Version)
   34. Ol' Man River (A Cappella)

Disc Two:
20/20 Stereo Remix:
   1. Do it Again (2018 Stereo Remix)
   2. I Can Hear Music (2018 Stereo Remix)
   3. Bluebirds Over the Mountain (2018 Stereo Remix)
   4. Be with Me (2018 Stereo Remix)
   5. All I Want to Do (2018 Stereo Remix)
   6. The Nearest Faraway Place (2018 Stereo Remix)
   7. Cotton Fields (2018 Stereo Remix)
   8. I Went to Sleep (2018 Stereo Remix)
   9. Time to Get Alone (2018 Stereo Remix)
   10. Never Learn Not to Love (2018 Stereo Remix)
   11. Our Prayer (2018 Stereo Remix)
   12. Cabinessence (2018 Stereo Remix)
20/20 Sessions: May-November 1968
   13. Rendezvous (Do it Again) (Session Highlights)
   14. Bluebirds Over the Mountain (September 1967 Backing Track)
   15. The Nearest Faraway Place (Alternate Version w/Vocals)
   16. Time to Get Alone (A Cappella)
   17. Never Learn Not to Love (Alternate Mix)
   18. Cabinessence (Dennis Overdub - A Cappella)
   19. We're Together Again (Version One)
   20. We're Together Again (Version Two - A Cappella)
   21. Sail Plane Song (Session Highlights/Alternate Mix)
   22. Walkin'
   21. Oh Yeah
   21. Can't Wait too Long (Sections)
   22. Can't Wait too Long (2018 Stereo Remix)
20/20 Live:
   26. Do it Again (Live 1968)
   27. I Can Hear Music (Live 1969)
   28. Bluebirds Over the Mountain (Live 1968)
   29. All I Want to Do (Live 1968)
   30. The Nearest Faraway Place (Live 1969)
Additional Recordings:
   31. All I Want to Do (Tag Overdub Session)

According to AGD's site, another track called "The Gong" was recorded on November 16th, but I'm fairly certain it's just the intro to "Never Learn Not to Love". Also, if there were any vocals ever recorded for "Mona Kana", throw 'em on there as well.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 09:33:37 PM »

30 years of Kokomo, and 40 years of MIU.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 05:36:35 AM »

it was only the bridge section of New Song that was known to collectors as Indian Wisdom or Spanish Guitar Song
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »

If all we got for Can't Wait Too Long was a "2018 Stereo Remix" and "Sections," I would be very disappointed, and would not buy it.  Why can't they make a legitimate attempt to compile a best-guess version of the final song?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »

In not sure where to put this question, so I'll just throw it in here. Is it just me, or is the melody of the verses from "Stevie" a reworking of "New Song"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:13:33 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 06:47:43 AM »

Why can't they make a legitimate attempt to compile a best-guess version of the final song?

They did. The only piece of CWTL we haven't gotten is what sounds like a '68 rerecording of the same arrangement that appears on Sunshine Tomorrow.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »

We don't know whether any other pieces are out there but unbooted.  And I'm not just looking for the pieces.  The song deserves a comprehensive construction rather than the half-hearted attempts of the past.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »

I'd love the 20/20 version of 'Time To Get Alone' as vocals only... maybe some session highlights of "DEEP AND WIDE!!!"  Cool Guy

Vocals only 'Never Learn Not To Love' too please, Mark and Alan.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2018, 09:32:52 AM »

No news about that?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »

I'm getting the feeling that we ain't getting a physical release of any unreleased 1968 material this year. The summer was taken over by the useless orchestral disc and it's getting a little late for the classic fall release that would usually come in like October or November. So unless we hear some news soon, I'd assume we will only be getting a December copyright dump in digital only format. Which I admit I wouldn't be heartbroken over, as it's the music that matters to me, but I wouldn't mind that if the stuff gets released, it gets an actual physical release.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2018, 05:58:45 PM »

I'm getting the feeling that we ain't getting a physical release of any unreleased 1968 material this year. The summer was taken over by the useless orchestral disc and it's getting a little late for the classic fall release that would usually come in like October or November. So unless we hear some news soon, I'd assume we will only be getting a December copyright dump in digital only format. Which I admit I wouldn't be heartbroken over, as it's the music that matters to me, but I wouldn't mind that if the stuff gets released, it gets an actual physical release.

How about a December copyright dump in digital-only format, followed up next year with a multi-CD release of 1968 and 1969 recordings together, excluding material that should/could add to an expanded Sunflower recording in 2020?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:59:44 PM by doc smiley » Logged

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2018, 09:56:57 PM »

How about a December copyright dump in digital-only format, followed up next year with a multi-CD release of 1968 and 1969 recordings together, excluding material that should/could add to an expanded Sunflower recording in 2020?

That is what I'm expecting, personally.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx