gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:48:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 182546 times)
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »

Probably both December London shows will appear as digital download.

mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2018, 02:44:23 AM »

and the concert from wich "friends" and" little bird" are taken on "made in california"...
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2018, 08:11:00 AM »

and the concert from wich "friends" and" little bird" are taken on "made in california"...

That's definitely something I could get excited about! Bring it on.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2018, 03:39:30 PM »

Posted this on PSF and almost forgot to post it here. I have it on good authority that there will be a '68 set coming in November. From what I hear, the physical version will be smaller than the digital one.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »

Posted this on PSF and almost forgot to post it here. I have it on good authority that there will be a '68 set coming in November. From what I hear, the physical version will be smaller than the digital one.
I'm guessing it will be like the releases last year, where we get a 2CD set and then a huge expansive collection on iTunes and Spotify.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2018, 12:42:13 AM »

Can't wait to get more info about this!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2018, 03:41:02 AM »

From a heads-up on the PSForum. Brian in the studio over the weekend. Related?

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/42738289_10157412526232241_4180534081445953536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&oh=6cebb4c6b63d241dc4b2eac0da6cc0d1&oe=5C60713C

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/42829132_10157412526172241_596559090419761152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=c2b5c4e56da9158a3a19e99eb9db0110&oe=5C245067
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2018, 09:19:38 AM »

I think you meant December 😁

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »

Yahoo!! Smiley
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2018, 02:20:56 PM »

I would say the most important tracks they could include on this upcoming compilation album are the 1970s "Friends" remakes, which Brian was persuaded to reclaim his legacy with during that period. If these are kept in the vaults for some reason, it would be devastating. Also hoping for the "America, I Know You" backing track and those "Friends" Desper remixes that are on his website, but polished up for a commercial release.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:25:02 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »

I would say the most important tracks they could include on this upcoming compilation album are the 1970s "Friends" remakes, which Brian was persuaded to reclaim his legacy with during that period. If these are kept in the vaults for some reason, it would be devastating. Also hoping for the "America, I Know You" backing track and those "Friends" Desper remixes that are on his website, but polished up for a commercial release
Unfortunately the tapes for the Friends remake were stolen, so don't expect that.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:57:29 PM by You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered » Logged

PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2018, 03:14:50 PM »

I would say the most important tracks they could include on this upcoming compilation album are the 1970s "Friends" remakes, which Brian was persuaded to reclaim his legacy with during that period. If these are kept in the vaults for some reason, it would be devastating. Also hoping for the "America, I Know You" backing track and those "Friends" Desper remixes that are on his website, but polished up for a commercial release
Unfortunately the tapes for the Friends remake were stolen, so don't expect that.

That's awful. I'm not exactly questioning you, but whereabouts are you getting that information from? Passing By (1972)" is listed as one of the "Bedroom Tapes" on this website: https://www.laweekly.com/music/brian-wilsons-secret-bedroom-tapes-a-track-by-track-description-4479099.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:22:04 PM by PetSmile » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »

I can't really say, but I don't have any reason to doubt the source that's told me this. It must've been after this article was published.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:27:05 PM by You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered » Logged

PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »

For goodness' sake, you would think they would have made digital copies of the recordings or something. Such a painful loss for all of us, no doubt. Oh well, hope they turn up one day and there's a reward for the person that brings 'em in.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:01:24 PM by PetSmile » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »

Just 'cause it's part of this list doesn't mean it's been heard or seen by anyone in decades...all of the Friends rewrites mentioned here AND "Song For God" are described from the recollections of Stanley Shapiro, who was involved with or otherwise there to hear them in the '70s. They could very well have disappeared/been stolen long before the dawn of the digital age.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2018, 12:27:08 PM »

Bri in the studio?.. hence the A4 list sheets....... Approving the tracks/list for the 68 CR release?
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2018, 07:34:12 AM »

Bri in the studio?.. hence the A4 list sheets....... Approving the tracks/list for the 68 CR release?

Oh man, I always wish someone would do some subtle behind the scenes of video of filming Brian as he listens to all the music to approve it. Would love to see his reactions to hearing all this stuff he worked so hard on and getting to hear his brothers talking in some of the various studio chatter tracks, has to be quite the emotional experience. I've always been so curious how it happens, does he listen to it with a group of people like Mark Linett and Alan Boyd who he can discuss with, or does he do it alone like when he watched Love & Mercy for the first time? And how much of it does he actually listen to considering there are hours of material released every year now, especially something like Live Sunshine that was 6 hours of concert material?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:34:45 AM by jackjachman » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2018, 07:41:11 AM »

Doesn't Brian have a microphone in front of him in those recent studio shots? I assumed he was cutting a vocal (or doing voiceover work?), and simply doing it "direct" from the booth and was sitting because he probably still needs to do even studio work sitting due to his back.

Anything is possible, and the fact that he's sitting with no headphones and no engineer is in sight leaves open the possibility that he's listening rather than recording. (The sheets looks like longer-form paragraphs rather than track listings, but who knows).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2018, 08:09:21 AM »

Doesn't Brian have a microphone in front of him in those recent studio shots? I assumed he was cutting a vocal (or doing voiceover work?), and simply doing it "direct" from the booth and was sitting because he probably still needs to do even studio work sitting due to his back.

Anything is possible, and the fact that he's sitting with no headphones and no engineer is in sight leaves open the possibility that he's listening rather than recording. (The sheets looks like longer-form paragraphs rather than track listings, but who knows).

I'm pretty sure Brian is doing something more in these studio shots than just listening to 50 year old tapes - for one thing, he would most likely be doing that at Mark's studio, and these shots are definitely from Oceanway Studio A (the old United Studio A). For another thing, members of his band are there in other shots  - there's a shot of Mike D'Amico recording a drum track, and then apparently listening to the playback in the control room. I'd say Brian's into something new here!
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2018, 12:35:24 AM »

Could I have a link, about the "friends remake", to get more info about it, please? thanks...
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2018, 10:41:47 AM »

Is Carl's lead vocal on Cabin Essence that we all know a vocal from 1968? Or is it a SMiLE era recording?
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2018, 10:51:56 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:05:51 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2018, 07:39:08 AM »

Not sure how likely this is, but one thing I wouldn’t mind hearing on this year’s set would be Bluebirds Over the Mountain without the lead guitar. No disrespect to Ed Carter, who certainly knew how to handle his business, but I never felt the rock style of guitar worked in this particular song. Always suspected I might like it more if there were a version sans lead. Just one man's opinion, of course.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:20:24 AM by Blake Alan » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2018, 07:51:50 AM »

Not sure how likely this is, but one thing I wouldn’t mind hearing on this year’s set would be Bluebirds of the Mountain without the lead guitar. No disrespect to Ed Carter, who certainly knew how to handle his business, but I never felt the rock style of guitar worked in this particular song. Always suspected I might like it more if there were a version sans lead. Just one man's opinion, of course.

I agree, I think it sounds out of place on that song.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2018, 01:32:31 PM »

Just to simply have all the Friends/early 20/20 era outtakes all in one place would suit me. Add some unbooted tracks to that and we're golden.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx