gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:13:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al's show in Florida cancelled!  (Read 11753 times)
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 07:12:41 AM »

regarding Carls age when he sang God Only Knows, there could be a spontaneous audience debate, I suppose (that'd make even Al reticent)

because the simple birth-session years don't tell the story so accurately

Carl was 19 years 4 months old, having been born in December of '46, with the GOK sessions completed in april '66
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »

Can anyone explain why Al does a greatest hits show as opposed to more of a deep cuts type concert. This isn't a Beach Boys concert so why no "Lookin' at Tomorrow", "At My Window", "Don't Go Near the Water" etc..
Same reason you don't hear Brian doing Melt Away,  Rio Grande, Orange Crate Art, Where Has Love Been, or She Says That She Needs Me.

Solo songs (and solo-centric covers) Brian has done on his solo tours over the years (not including one-off selections, pre-1999 gigs, TV performances, nor full album performances such as "Lucky Old Sun" and Gershwin):

Love and Mercy
Melt Away
Let It Shine
This Could Be the Night
South American
Your Imagination
Lay Down Burden
The First Time
What I Really Want for Christmas
On Christmas Day
Christmasey
How Could Be Still Be Dancin'
City Blues
Soul Searchin'
Gettin' In Over My Head
Desert Drive
Walking Down the Path of Life
Runaway Dancer
Sail Away
The Right Time
One Kind of Love
Honeycomb
I'm Broke
Be My Baby
Keep a Knockin'

I'm probably forgetting a few, and I'm also not counting stuff like "This Isn't Love" that was technically done twice.

If you add TLOS and Gershwin, that's like 25 or so more songs added to that list.

Yes, he has certainly dug into the deep back catalog of solo material on fewer occasions, and he does little solo material today. But over 20 years, he's touched on his solo material a pretty decent amount, including forming two entire tours around a new solo album.

How many of those songs are in his setlists today?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 07:11:31 AM »

Can anyone explain why Al does a greatest hits show as opposed to more of a deep cuts type concert. This isn't a Beach Boys concert so why no "Lookin' at Tomorrow", "At My Window", "Don't Go Near the Water" etc..
Same reason you don't hear Brian doing Melt Away,  Rio Grande, Orange Crate Art, Where Has Love Been, or She Says That She Needs Me.

Solo songs (and solo-centric covers) Brian has done on his solo tours over the years (not including one-off selections, pre-1999 gigs, TV performances, nor full album performances such as "Lucky Old Sun" and Gershwin):

Love and Mercy
Melt Away
Let It Shine
This Could Be the Night
South American
Your Imagination
Lay Down Burden
The First Time
What I Really Want for Christmas
On Christmas Day
Christmasey
How Could Be Still Be Dancin'
City Blues
Soul Searchin'
Gettin' In Over My Head
Desert Drive
Walking Down the Path of Life
Runaway Dancer
Sail Away
The Right Time
One Kind of Love
Honeycomb
I'm Broke
Be My Baby
Keep a Knockin'

I'm probably forgetting a few, and I'm also not counting stuff like "This Isn't Love" that was technically done twice.

If you add TLOS and Gershwin, that's like 25 or so more songs added to that list.

Yes, he has certainly dug into the deep back catalog of solo material on fewer occasions, and he does little solo material today. But over 20 years, he's touched on his solo material a pretty decent amount, including forming two entire tours around a new solo album.

How many of those songs are in his setlists today?

Hence the last couple lines of my previous post.

I post all the setlists in the Brian tour thread; so I’m pretty aware of the composition of his tour setlists.

Nothing has changed dramatically in terms of audience preference/demands in the last couple of years, so the answer to the question of why Brian isn’t doing solo material, which you seem to imply has to do with the audience only wanting to hear BB songs, isn’t really accurate. They’re not doing solo material now because they’re choosing not to, and because any shows themed to something like “Pet Sounds” automatically dictates that there’s little room left in the setlist once you account for 13 PS songs plus the “meat and potatoes” they do at every gig.

If, on the other hand, the implication is that Brian has *historically* over his touring career not done solo material, that’s obviously incorrect given the stats.

If Brian did the same half dozen or so solo songs in 2019 that he did 15-20 years ago, the audience would be fine with it. Doing “Let It Shine” isn’t drastically different from doing “I’m Broke” or “Wake the World”, etc. The casual fans know none of it, and the hardcore fans know all of it and are happy to hear “Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long” or “Long Promised Road” or “Cry.”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx