gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:40:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christmas Rarities  (Read 23633 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »

How about that  new recording of "Love and Mercy" with The Miraculous Love Kids. That would be a great album closer.

Well, that's not a Christmas song
No it's not, but quite often songs that were not written for the Holiday Season are appropriated by artists for their Christmas albums if the song is in the right spirit. 'My Favorite Things' used by Barbra Streisand for example. 'Love and Mercy' in this context very much reminds me of John Lennon's 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)'. Thanks for the all the links you provided. I had not heard many of those.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2018, 12:44:09 PM »

How about that  new recording of "Love and Mercy" with The Miraculous Love Kids. That would be a great album closer.

Well, that's not a Christmas song
No it's not, but quite often songs that were not written for the Holiday Season are appropriated by artists for their Christmas albums if the song is in the right spirit. 'My Favorite Things' used by Barbra Streisand for example. 'Love and Mercy' in this context very much reminds me of John Lennon's 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)'. Thanks for the all the links you provided. I had not heard many of those.

You're welcome!
Yeah, sometimes such things are done for albums. But this list is not an album as such (as in: one project) but just a salmagundi of different Christmas-themed songs by the Beach Boys.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 10:14:26 AM »

Since it's that time of year again, I thought I'd up this thread for everybody who's interested.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2019, 02:12:32 AM »

I updated the list a little, with live performances from TV etc. Check it out.

- Jack Rieley
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2019, 10:15:12 AM »

Not the BBs but this was a true BB-related rarity until I re-released it. In all of my research, I've only found one person who had a copy (listed online) plus I saw it listed on a rare Murry bootleg.
Happy, Happy Holiday https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/georgefaulkner/george-faulkner-sings-murry-wilson-vol-2
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 10:16:12 AM by Junkstar » Logged
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2019, 12:34:31 AM »

Does anyone here have the tape that sold a couple years ago? If so, I read over on the Hoffman boards that Child of Winter is a different mix than the 45 or the Ultimate Christmas remix.

Not even sure of the differences between those two issues as I haven’t done a side by side comparison, but I’d be curious to know how the “album”/tape mix sounds.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 08:24:40 AM »

Not the BBs but this was a true BB-related rarity until I re-released it. In all of my research, I've only found one person who had a copy (listed online) plus I saw it listed on a rare Murry bootleg.
Happy, Happy Holiday https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/georgefaulkner/george-faulkner-sings-murry-wilson-vol-2

Wow, I'll add that in some way. Some of the lyrics reminded me of "Vegetables" (the part about the vest etc).

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2020, 02:33:31 AM »

Well, it's that time of year again and though with the "Feel Flows" set there's other stuff going on in Beach Boys-world, I thought I'd bring this thread up again.

- Jack Rieley
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »

Does anyone here have the tape that sold a couple years ago? If so, I read over on the Hoffman boards that Child of Winter is a different mix than the 45 or the Ultimate Christmas remix.

Not even sure of the differences between those two issues as I haven’t done a side by side comparison, but I’d be curious to know how the “album”/tape mix sounds.

Without wanting to delve too deeply into murky waters, would the Frontline Merry Xmas bootleg be taken from that tape? That might answer that question.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:20:39 PM by thetojo » Logged
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 03:45:29 PM »

PS: no idea if i am allowed to post something like this
a rip of the "promo cassette" from 1993, from my personal collection: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HwEQzqUZmYiYkj6Fbtt3SM5I7OROSrmi?usp=sharing

EDIT 11/29/2020: included in the folder are the individual tracks and full cassette rip and a sub-folder of noise reduction and fade in/out edits

Here is the official version of "Christmas Time is Here Again", plus an edit I made that speed-matches the cassette: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UJqEAfyLt8h8GkOvKtOTNlDMnu-6SA7y?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 04:06:26 AM by pdas1996 » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 01:11:51 AM »

Jingle bell rock - with Dean Torrence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryIroTqs-k

This has to be one of the finest music videos ever.

Speaking of BB christmas songs, does anyone remember the band's (90s-era?) version of "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" with Jeff Foskett on lead iirc?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:13:36 AM by phirnis » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 03:49:38 AM »

Jingle bell rock - with Dean Torrence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryIroTqs-k

Speaking of BB christmas songs, does anyone remember the band's (90s-era?) version of "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" with Jeff Foskett on lead iirc?

Never ever heard of that!  Shocked Do you have more infos about that? Was Brian with them?

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 03:53:57 AM »

Never ever heard of that!  Shocked Do you have more infos about that? Was Brian with them?

It was years ago (2010-ish?) when that recording was on Youtube for a while I think, from a British radio program IIRC. Pretty sure Brian wasn't with them but that's only a guess considering the time frame this was apparently recorded (presumably the 90s). Maybe someone else remembers it too?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 07:39:25 AM »

Could that be Jeff's version from Christmas at the Beach?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2020, 08:41:37 AM »

Could that be Jeff's version from Christmas at the Beach?

Here are some snippets. It says nothing about the BBs though.

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-at-Beach-Jeffrey-Foskett/dp/B079YZRNJV

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2020, 11:41:10 AM »

Christmas at the Beach is a Foskett solo project -- one of my favorite Christmas albums, in fact.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2020, 10:36:16 PM »

Yes, it was most likely that one but introduced as the Beach Boys on that radio show. That's probably the most plausible explanation.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2020, 02:57:14 AM »

Al just posted this on Facebook (the Beach Boys' account did as well):

There’s never been an official music video for “Little Saint Nick”—until now! Check back on Tuesday, Dec. 1 when we premiere the new visual for one of The Beach Boys’ fan-favorite holiday tunes, available exclusively right here on Facebook Watch. 🎅

There's also a short preview.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2020, 08:03:55 AM »

Al just posted this on Facebook (the Beach Boys' account did as well):

There’s never been an official music video for “Little Saint Nick”—until now! Check back on Tuesday, Dec. 1 when we premiere the new visual for one of The Beach Boys’ fan-favorite holiday tunes, available exclusively right here on Facebook Watch. 🎅

There's also a short preview.

It's a nice little video. I saw that Nat King Cole also got one this year, so it's probably a fad. Hope this link works:

https://fb.watch/268Ehft4Rh/

I like that they used the Love You cover at the end.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »

Actually, these videos are something UME is doing with a bunch of their artists for the holidays.

I like the BB one overall, but wonder why the animators chose to have a very buff Santa surfing instead of driving a tricked-out, hot-rod sleigh. Anyway, there are plenty of fun Easter eggs for BB fans in this Christmas video.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 12:05:02 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »

Actually, these videos are something UME is doing with a bunch of their artists for the holidays.

I like the BB one overall, but wonder why the animators chose to have a very buff Santa surfing instead of driving a tricked-out, hot-rod sleigh. Anyway, there are plenty of fun Easter eggs for BB fans in this Christmas video.

Wow! Some easter eggs are blink and you miss, but they're everywhere!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:44:04 PM by pdas1996 » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2020, 01:46:37 AM »

There's even a "Feel Flows" easter egg!!  Shocked

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2020, 11:07:40 AM »

I was able to add the studio recordings of Mike singing "Do you hear what I hear?" and "Have yourself a very merry Christmas". Unfortunately Brian's live performance of "God rest ye merry gentleman" on Jay Leno seems to have disappeared and I haven't found another link yet.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2020, 03:11:44 AM »

So I added two links to Blondie performing "O holy night" and "Run Rudolph Run", although they don't fit the criteria of the list, because they are audience recorded, but I thought they were special enough to make an exception.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2020, 07:07:43 AM »

Brian's Facebook account just posted this recording (with pictures) of Blondie doing "O holy Night" which I added to the list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfzWB37egeA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR16XGGw7uir39rcK6YJPYdJhbV1M38biuNSTLJYoU88J8iFIZiopj8JDWU

I only have my laptop speakers at the moment, but it sounds like at least a soundboard recording  Shocked

I also found a recording of Bruce doing "Jingle Bells", checck out the first message.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx