gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:24:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Jeff Foskett  (Read 3197 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2023, 08:09:21 PM »

Was surprised a bit to read a post from someone who had spoken to Jeff relatively recently, and they described that Jeff was bothered and seemed to have been bothered for some time that he felt his vocals on the 2012 TWGMTR reunion album had been criticized by fans.

I'm not sure of course precisely what his feelings were on this in detail, but I can pretty safely say that most of the criticisms about the heavy use of Jeff's voice on the album (on certain tracks more than others) wasn't about the quality of his singing, but rather simply that it sounded more like Jeff than the BB vocal stack on certain songs. I've never blamed Jeff for this. There's nothing wrong with the quality of his vocal work, and he was only singing what he was being instructed to sing (almost surely at the direction of Brian and/or Joe Thomas). I always guessed/assumed it was just a consequence of the logistics of recording the album. Brian cut a bunch of stuff prior to the rest of the BBs joining the project, and he used Jeff to stack a lot of those vocals. When it came time to record BB backing vocals, he kept a lot of the Jeff vocal tracks on some of the songs (most notably the title track), and/or had Jeff singing *with* the rest of the guys and still leaned a lot on Jeff's voice.

I know a lot of the touring band guys over the years signed NDAs, so I'm not sure what sort of written memories Jeff might have left behind, but he no doubt had a ton of interesting stories (some of which he did tell over the years). I always found one interesting where he described singing harmonies in the studio with Carl, and Carl giving him some of the "secret sauce" to recording BB backing vocals, and instructing everybody to *not* use *any* vibrato when stacking harmonies.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2023, 08:20:41 PM »

Jude, I think your spot of with your thoughts. There could never EVER be a problem with Jeff's vocals, frankly I can't think of anyone who had a better singing voice., high and low ranges. Many fans have often complained that there was just too much Jeff and not enough Boys on TWGMTR. Perhaps true, but at their ages at the time, most of them were past their prime singing abilities. Jeff on the other hand was in excellent voice as always. So glad I have all of his solo cds, they are all magnificent.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2023, 03:32:54 AM »

A really cool guy, got to speak with him briefly in 2011 (I believe) and he was great to his, and Brian's, fans. A piece of the legacy for sure. RIP Sad

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2023, 04:01:38 PM »

Anyone heard this https://www.discogs.com/release/27729141-The-Pranks-The-Warner-Demos-Collection

The Pranks were a band Jeff was in with Randall Hirsch among others. John Cowsill sometimes I think. Maybe there was a plan to try officially release some of this stuff?

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2023, 01:53:16 AM »

Correction: Randell Kirsch
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2023, 08:55:19 PM »

Since it's that time of year I was just listening to "What I really want for Christmas" and am still blown away by Brian and Jeff's vocals on "O holy Night". Perfection!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx