gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:09:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think is the better song?
Sherry
Surfin' Safari

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BotS #3: Sherry (The Four Seasons) vs. Surfin' Safari (The Beach Boys)  (Read 2199 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:50:02 PM »

Hello. Here's another battle of the songs between major debut singles from two American band that eventually survived British Invasion: Sherry by The Four Seasons vs. Surfin' Safari by The Beach Boys.

I'll vote for Sherry. As a huge Beach Boys fan, I should vote for Surfin' Safari for its historical significance, but I look at their first two albums and singles as "amateur record" . It's Surfer Girl (both the single and the album) that established professionality of Brian as producer.

On the other hand, Sherry, which sounds somewhat old and childish today, is a 'professional record'. That rough drumming catches your ears at first. Then, THAT falsetto by Frankie Valli - they shows their professionalism they've gained for some ten years of unpopular singles and daily tours. Great stuff.

Now, which do you think is the better song? Look forward to seeing how you think.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 01:20:41 AM »

Fifteen years ago I would have said "Sherry", mainly because I hadn't heard "Surfin' Safari" fifteen years ago.

I still like "Sherry" and many Seasons records but "SS" has a certain magic to it----particularly in hindsight.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:25:51 AM »

I'll vote for Sherry. As a huge Beach Boys fan, I should vote for Surfin' Safari for its historical significance, but I look at their first two albums and singles as "amateur record" . It's Surfer Girl (both the single and the album) that established professionality of Brian as producer.

On the other hand, Sherry, which sounds somewhat old and childish today, is a 'professional record'. That rough drumming catches your ears at first. Then, THAT falsetto by Frankie Valli - they shows their professionalism they've gained for some ten years of unpopular singles and daily tours. Great stuff.
If "Sherry" ran against "Surfin' USA", which is twice as catchy, it'd be the choice. Trouble to like "Surfin' Safari". "Sherry" liked instantly. I discovered it via Stars on 45's "Golden Years of Rock & Roll" medley, starts at 1:06: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1elCkkPv-A

I say "Hey I like it!", read the info which songs sung in the medley, find it & listen. It led to me being Four Seasons fan. Banal maybe, I do think "Sherry" is their Top 10 song, if not Top 5. It doesn't sound "old and childish". If it does, "Surfin' Safari" too. Many 60s songs bound to get such perception today. If smb. told some song is too ancient, it will not stop to be liked.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 07:16:16 AM »

Ive never been a fan of Frankie Valli's falsetto.  So, I'll go with the early Boys classic. 
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »

Surfin' Safari rules! You better believe it!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »

Surfers rule! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:03:51 PM »

SS has one of Carl's best guitar solos, so I vote for it. I do like Sherry, though. Had a crush on a girl in grade school named Sherry.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx